Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Confirmed Reds playing in the AFL/Hawaii/Winter Ball

Re: Confirmed Reds playing in the AFL/Hawaii/Winter Ball

Sam LeCure playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    I do not think anyone was comparing him to Vlad as far as talent but pointing out the validity of pitching around someone who swings at everything. We were just saying that it can be done not that we think he can do it
    Fair enough, but Vlad was swing at AND making contact with everything. Fransisco has the swinging part down -- just not the contact. They aren't going to avoid your bat by pitching out of the zone if they can avoid your bat inside of it. And as he moves up, he'll be increasingly exposed to pitchers who have the stuff and control to miss bats in the zone.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Neftali Soto is playing Winter Ball in Puerto Rico...the season doesn't start until November 6th. Here's a small tidbit translated via Google:

Neftali Soto, one of the new faces of the Cangrejeros of Santurce, yesterday had his first experience in professional baseball in the initial practice of the franchise in the face of the season to start on November 6.

"I feel comfortable because I know several of the boys and I'm ready to play every day," said Soto. "There's a bit of pressure for being the first selection and rookie, but nothing, baseball is baseball anywhere," he added.

After four years without a team in San Juan, the Cangrejeros returning back to his old home with a renewed energy.

"We have the enthusiasm and spirit to play. We want to play well during the season, "said Soto.

http://www.primerahora.com/noticia/b...a_listo/240792
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Neftali Soto is playing Winter Ball in Puerto Rico...the season doesn't start until November 6th. Here's a small tidbit translated via Google:

Neftali Soto, one of the new faces of the Cangrejeros of Santurce, yesterday had his first experience in professional baseball in the initial practice of the franchise in the face of the season to start on November 6.

"I feel comfortable because I know several of the boys and I'm ready to play every day," said Soto. "There's a bit of pressure for being the first selection and rookie, but nothing, baseball is baseball anywhere," he added.

After four years without a team in San Juan, the Cangrejeros returning back to his old home with a renewed energy.

"We have the enthusiasm and spirit to play. We want to play well during the season, "said Soto.

http://www.primerahora.com/noticia/b...a_listo/240792
    Weak. Why doesn't he talk about companions in circulation?? Or at least a little regulation anyways...
    Last edited by Screwball; 10-24-2008 at 06:13 AM.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Weak. Why doesn't he talk about companions in circulation?? Or at least a little regulation anyways...
    lol I hope I'm not the only one who gets your reference.

Juan Francisco went 2-for-4 with a home run and 3 RBI yesterday and has now homered in two straight games. Through 37 atbats he's hitting .270/.289/.568 - .857 OPS with three homers.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Juan Francisco went 2-for-4 with a home run and 3 RBI yesterday and has now homered in two straight games. Through 37 atbats he's hitting .270/.289/.568 - .857 OPS with three homers.
    That's just crazy looking.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Imagine the back and forth bickering on this board if Fransisco was doing that at the major league level. I would enjoy that thread like no other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Ha, I remember Encarnacion was sending many companions in circulation last winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Imagine the back and forth bickering on this board if Fransisco was doing that at the major league level. I would enjoy that thread like no other thread.
    I bet there would be more bickering of it because of where he would bat in the lineup (3rd) if he were hitting like that. I'll take those numbers in my lineup batting 6th or 7th, just not near the top, which I know he probably would be.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I bet there would be more bickering of it because of where he would bat in the lineup (3rd) if he were hitting like that. I'll take those numbers in my lineup batting 6th or 7th, just not near the top, which I know he probably would be.
    My point exactly. Would be an epic thread.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    My point exactly. Would be an epic thread.
    I don't want to start that thread here but I gotta say it's just shows how even OPS can be a bit misleading. If you just saw his OPS you might assume that he is getting on base at least at a fair clip. However I understand that if he slugged like that for an extended period of time inevitably his OBP would creep up to respectability, at least I assume it would. But it shows how the occassional HR and not much of anything else can balloon that OPS.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't want to start that thread here but I gotta say it's just shows how even OPS can be a bit misleading. If you just saw his OPS you might assume that he is getting on base at least at a fair clip. However I understand that if he slugged like that for an extended period of time inevitably his OBP would creep up to respectability, at least I assume it would. But it shows how the occassional HR and not much of anything else can balloon that OPS.
    Without researching it, I'd guess that an OPS driven by a high SLG is more valuable than one driven by a high OBP.

Imagine if Fransisco was some speed demon.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Without researching it, I'd guess that an OPS driven by a high SLG is more valuable than one driven by a high OBP.
    That is incorrect. OBP is worth about 1.8 times as much as SLG in terms of runs scoring in an OPS type formula. Avoiding outs is the most important part of it all.

Turn Off Ads?