Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: BA's Midwest League Top 20 later today

Re: BA's Midwest League Top 20 later today

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    You sound as if you are convinced he was a wasted pick.
    Baseball America sources sound convinced, too.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Really, what else can you tell us on these Holliday happenings? For example can you say when these talks occured and who else might have been a part of the discussions, both concrete and otherwise? And by concrete do you mean they both agreed on 2 prospects? How many prospects would it have taken assuming the 2 concrete guys were a part of the deal? If you mentioned it elsewhere I must have missed it.

I realize you may not be able to get too deep into specifics but what can you tell us about those talks?
    There were talks earlier in the season and the Rockies wanted Harang +, but when he went down that all stopped. Right now, they want another starter in our rotation that happens to be under 25, Juan Francisco and another good prospect. Francisco and that other pitcher are 'locks' in the deal for the Rockies, they won't take replacements. So I don't see the trade happening.

I don't get where you are coming from on this (combined with your previous post) are you down on him or on the fence?

A 20 yr old kid that you would have had at Billings holds his own offensively at a level higher than that and you are disappointed? I don't understand that. Understandably his defense needs work but how can you not be at least a bit optimistic about what he has done so far? I'm not a huge proponent of his but I would say that I am optimistic about him assuming good health. You sound as if you are convinced he was a wasted pick.
    I'd have had him in Billings partially because I never thought he was first round material to begin with. I was on record about that prior to the 2007 draft.

As princeton noted, scouts aren't optimistic about what he's done so far either. He's failed to impress.

That doesn't mean he can't get his game together over the course of years and make it to the majors, but you could say that about any kid in the minors. Top picks are supposed to stand out. The Reds treated him like a top pick this season and put him in full season ball and he drew notice for all the wrong reasons.

The main problem he's got is his defense is a mess. There's serious concern about whether he can stay behind the plate and, unlike Joey Votto, he's yet to show the kind of bat you want to play in the OF or an IF corner. It's the problem you invite when you draft a "good for a catcher" bat and athlete. Now there's doubt that he can stick behind the plate and anywhere else he's not a good hitter or a good athlete.

Also, I don't see anything praise-worthy about a .261/.311/.399 season. That's a line that needs significant improvement. My fix to it would be to keep him in Dayton and hopefully his bat will catch up to his level of competition a bit and the organization can keep trying to learn him some defense. Again, I see absolutely no reason to treat him like he'll be in the majors in short order. The Reds should take their time with him.

Yet the larger point is that Mesoraco has created more doubters than believers so far and that's not good news. Again, I don't expect that register around here very much, but the reality is his star has fallen quite a bit since he got drafted.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I agree with M2 on this. There is no way Mesoraco should be in Sarasota next season. He needs to repeat at Dayton and spend at least half a season there. If his glove and bat show considerable improvement then maybe bump him to Sarasota for the final two months.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I agree with M2 on this. There is no way Mesoraco should be in Sarasota next season. He needs to repeat at Dayton and spend at least half a season there. If his glove and bat show considerable improvement then maybe bump him to Sarasota for the final two months.
    I wouldn't be opposed to something like that, but I really think its going to be based on how he does in Instructional League and in the Spring.

This is a little off topic but I was just looking at the Sally League top 10 prospects from five years ago and was amazed at how well those prospects turned out. Check out this strong list:

1. B.J. Upton - one of the better CFers in the game
    2. Scott Kazmir - ace
    3. Cole Hamels - ace
    4. Jeff Francoeur - disappointing season but still has plenty of talent, needs to learn plate discipline
    5. Jeremy Hermida - decent career so far and should get better
    6. Hanley Ramirez - one of the top five players in the game
    7. Fausto Carmona - disappointing season but Cy Young candidate last year
    8. Merkin Valdez - looked good in setup role earlier this season before going down to a injury
    9. Scott Olson - solid back end starter
    10. Mike Hinckley - yet to allow a run in 11.2 major league innings

It's hard to find a list better than that one.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Francisco and that other pitcher are 'locks' in the deal for the Rockies, they won't take replacements. So I don't see the trade happening.
    great news ... let 'em keep there overrated Boras client.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    great news ... let 'em keep there overrated Boras client.
    Agreed. I've said all along I would rather have Nelson Cruz or Jeremy Hermida. Both are cheaper in terms of salary and prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Agreed. I've said all along I would rather have Nelson Cruz or Jeremy Hermida. Both are cheaper in terms of salary and prospects.
    And will likely provide less production...

I still agree with you though. Given the resources it would take to acquire the players listed, I'd rather make a run at Hermida. He'll come much cheaper and is primed for a breakout season, especially if you put him in GABP.

Turn Off Ads?