Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 101

Thread: 60 walks

  1. #31
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,475

    Re: 60 walks

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    To the point of the walks, I'm frankly shocked how little play Hanigan has been getting for being the starter next year. Catchers' offensive game tend to mature notoriously late, so his now two year track record of success is a very good sign, he seems to be fundamentally sound defensively behind the dish and has thrown out 30%+ of attempted base-stealers. He's no all-star, but it's going to be extremely expensive to improve on that for next year from outside the org.

    Funny you should ask. In this morning's paper Dusty says that Hanigan will be considered for the #1 job next year:

    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...809250405/1071

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,475

    Re: 60 walks

    As the roster stands right now I think Keppinger should be allowed to compete for the starting SS job next Spring along with AGon, Janish and whoever else is worthy. May the most productive guy win.

  4. #33
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,839

    Re: 60 walks

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As the roster stands right now I think Keppinger should be allowed to compete for the starting SS job next Spring along with AGon, Janish and whoever else is worthy. May the most productive guy win.
    With his defense, unless Keppinger starts hitting like Hanley Ramirez then he shouldn't even sniff shortstop.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  5. #34
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,560

    Re: 60 walks

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As the roster stands right now I think Keppinger should be allowed to compete for the starting SS job next Spring along with AGon, Janish and whoever else is worthy. May the most productive guy win.
    I hope none of those guys get the job and no more than 1 on the team.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  6. #35
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: 60 walks

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    With his defense, unless Keppinger starts hitting like Hanley Ramirez then he shouldn't even sniff shortstop.
    I realize defense is important, but it's also about overall value. If Keppinger hits the same way he did in April (.312/.361/.431), AGon regresses to halfway between his 2007 numbers and his career average (.260/.310/.434), and Janish bats halfway between his 2008 numbers and his career minor league numbers (.225/.315/.293) will their defense be enough to close the gap in value?

    Over 600 PA as a starter using above project:
    Keppinger: 93 RC
    AGon: 81 RC
    Janish: 55 RC

    Is AGon's defense 12 runs better than Kepp's? Is Janish's defense 38 runs better? I feel the numbers I used above look reasonable as projections for each players output in 2009, but it's up for debate. My main point isn't necessarily that Kepp should start at SS in 2009, or that AGon's defense isn't 12 runs better than Kepp's. Rather, I believe it's important to remember that if any of these SS are much better offensively than their defensive counterparts then no amount of defense can make up for it. It is important to be open minded when choosing which player should start at a position up for grabs amongst a bunch of players who, admittedly should not be starters in MLB (but I'm doing this exercise based on the assumption no one is brought in), and not base it on predetermined notions...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  7. #36
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: 60 walks

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I hope none of those guys get the job and no more than 1 on the team.
    I would be happy with Kepp and Janish as the backup infielders as long as a LH OF with some pop was brought in to be the other backup OF with Freel...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  8. #37
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,263

    Re: 60 walks

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I hope none of those guys get the job and no more than 1 on the team.
    Yup, this really gets at the core problem of this team.

    The Reds aren't awful because their top talent stinks. Rather, the Reds are awful because they have far too many poor and below average players. It's time they start replacing those players with guys who are closer to average big leaguers who will give the squad a bit more production.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  9. #38
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: 60 walks

    All this work is nice an all, Cyclone.

    But hasn't it already been proven that only girls walk?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  10. #39
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: 60 walks

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I realize defense is important, but it's also about overall value. If Keppinger hits the same way he did in April (.312/.361/.431), AGon regresses to halfway between his 2007 numbers and his career average (.260/.310/.434), and Janish bats halfway between his 2008 numbers and his career minor league numbers (.225/.315/.293) will their defense be enough to close the gap in value?

    Over 600 PA as a starter using above project:
    Keppinger: 93 RC
    AGon: 81 RC
    Janish: 55 RC

    Is AGon's defense 12 runs better than Kepp's? Is Janish's defense 38 runs better? I feel the numbers I used above look reasonable as projections for each players output in 2009, but it's up for debate. My main point isn't necessarily that Kepp should start at SS in 2009, or that AGon's defense isn't 12 runs better than Kepp's. Rather, I believe it's important to remember that if any of these SS are much better offensively than their defensive counterparts then no amount of defense can make up for it. It is important to be open minded when choosing which player should start at a position up for grabs amongst a bunch of players who, admittedly should not be starters in MLB (but I'm doing this exercise based on the assumption no one is brought in), and not base it on predetermined notions...
    Geez tough thing to equate stats being the way they are. That said yes I would take Gonzo over Kepp as a starter if that's what I had to choose from. I would also play Janish ahead of Kepp assuming we get a guy like Holliday in LF and Dickerson or someone equal or better was the starter in CF. Janish only has a chance to be passable as long as there is no other sub average offensive players on the field at the same time as he.

    No amount of offense can make up for subpar pitching (within a season), we've seen that for years now. But that is what you would have with defensive issues all through the left side of the defense if Kepp started next to EE.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  11. #40
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,263

    Re: 60 walks

    Early 2009 returns, remember the goal is 10 PA/BB or better:
    • Votto: 8.67 PA/BB in 2009 vs. 9.98 PA/BB in 2008
    • Phillips: 4.17 PA/BB in 2009 vs. 15.62 PA/BB in 2008
    • Encarnacion: 3.13 PA/BB in 2009 vs. 9.54 PA/BB in 2008
    • Dickerson: 3.2 PA/BB in 2009 vs. 7.18 PA/BB in 2008
    • Bruce: 25 PA/BB in 2009 vs. 13.70 PA/BB in 2009

    All the walk rates will level off with a greater sample size, but look for positive baby steps early on. Encarnacion and Dickerson have shown a beautiful batting eye the first six games of the season, and they're piling up the walks.

    Brandon Phillips is a key here. I've long stated that if he could hit that magical 60+ walk barrier, he'd be a monster. Both the OBP and SLG would soar, and he'd be up close to Chase Utley range. If he takes 60+ walks this season, he'd deserve to hit cleanup.

    Also encouraging: the Reds lead the NL in walk rate thus far. If a highly unexpected spike in walk rate occurs in this lineup, the offensive has the potential to exceed all expectations. The walks have to show up for this to happen though.

    Still, it's early ... we can track it throughout the season.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  12. #41
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: 60 walks

    Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    If anybody is silly enough to think that Keppinger, late of the 3-4 night in a 2-1 win, is going to be the odd man out, they need to relook at the situation....geez....
    Looks like he was the odd man out after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  13. #42
    Something clever pahster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,905

    Re: 60 walks

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Early 2009 returns, remember the goal is 10 PA/BB or better:
    • Votto: 8.67 PA/BB in 2009 vs. 9.98 PA/BB in 2008
    • Phillips: 4.17 PA/BB in 2009 vs. 15.62 PA/BB in 2008
    • Encarnacion: 3.13 PA/BB in 2009 vs. 9.54 PA/BB in 2008
    • Dickerson: 3.2 PA/BB in 2009 vs. 7.18 PA/BB in 2008
    • Bruce: 25 PA/BB in 2009 vs. 13.70 PA/BB in 2009
    Not that I think it'll continue, but Taveras has done pretty well with a 9.5 PA/BB rate in 2009 vs. 14.94 in 2008.

  14. #43
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,839

    Re: 60 walks

    I love this thread, Cyclone.

    I don't think Bruce will reach the 60 walk threshold this season. He's still very young and sometimes too anxious at the plate. There is no doubt in my mind he'll be a 70-80 walk guy in a couple years, but I don't expect that right now. He's admitted that he needs to draw more walks and it's something he's working on. I think 45 walks from Bruce this year is a reasonable number to expect. You'll start to see his walk rate gradually increase as he matures as a hitter, IMO.

    I love what Dickerson, Encarnacion, and Votto are doing, but Phillips has been the biggest surprise. He's already got six walks in 25 plate appearances. He's most likely not going to continue walking at this pace, but like you said, if he can walk 60 times a season he'll be an elite second baseman.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  15. #44
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,774

    Re: 60 walks

    Encarnacion's jump in walk rate might be a function of hitting 6th. The Reds 7-8 hitters are not exactly fearsome.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  16. #45
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: 60 walks

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Encarnacion's jump in walk rate might be a function of hitting 6th. The Reds 7-8 hitters are not exactly fearsome.
    I agree somewhat. It's obvious that he's taking a more patient approach, he's even said so IIRC. But he's most likely not getting much to hit as long as Hernandez and AGon are struggling behind him.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25