Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 60 walks

Re: 60 walks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Yup, this really gets at the core problem of this team.

The Reds aren't awful because their top talent stinks. Rather, the Reds are awful because they have far too many poor and below average players. It's time they start replacing those players with guys who are closer to average big leaguers who will give the squad a bit more production.
    I'd only add another grade level:

First, as you argue, they've been awful not because of their top talent stinking but rather, because their bottom talent has been significantly below average over significant amounts of playing time.

Second, they aren't likely to be consistent contenders because while their top talent is good, they really have yet to collect "uber-good" with really Bruce being the only "uber" candidate they currently have.

So really, Jocketty's job is more than simply setting the floor at roughly league average (i.e. burn up the chaff)-though that would be a leap in improvement, but he's also got to add a second story onto the house.

It's a tough job.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I agree somewhat. It's obvious that he's taking a more patient approach, he's even said so IIRC. But he's most likely not getting much to hit as long as Hernandez and AGon are struggling behind him.
    I've only seen two of Encarnacion's hits and neither of those was pulled. One was a single on Sunday that was pretty much right up the middle. And the other was the grand slam. That was to left center, if I'm remembering correctly. That indicates, I think, that he's taking it seriously not to pull as much. Do others agree?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I've only seen two of Encarnacion's hits and neither of those was pulled. One was a single on Sunday that was pretty much right up the middle. And the other was the grand slam. That was to left center, if I'm remembering correctly. That indicates, I think, that he's taking it seriously not to pull as much. Do others agree?
    Yes, definitely. So far, so good. But he's streaky, so we'll see how well he can maintain this new approach over time.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    He has looked pretty impressive at the plate so far. The more patient approach he takes the better for the team. However it is still a learning process. The at bat after his grand slam he got a little anxious, on his front foot, and hit a high pop up to the infield. IMO for Edwin he is going to need a constant reminder to relax, stay back, and drive the ball to right center.

In the few games that I've watched this year, mostly Mets and Yankees, but also others during the MLB Season Ticket preview last week, it seems to me that umpires across the board had very, very tight strikezones. And there were a lot of walks and extended counts.

The odd game out was the Mets - Marlins where Josh Johnson and Johan Santana benefited from a very wide zone.

Maybe the absence of QuesTec is having an effect?
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'd only add another grade level:

First, as you argue, they've been awful not because of their top talent stinking but rather, because their bottom talent has been significantly below average over significant amounts of playing time.

Second, they aren't likely to be consistent contenders because while their top talent is good, they really have yet to collect "uber-good" with really Bruce being the only "uber" candidate they currently have.

So really, Jocketty's job is more than simply setting the floor at roughly league average (i.e. burn up the chaff)-though that would be a leap in improvement, but he's also got to add a second story onto the house.

It's a tough job.
    I would argue Votto and/or Phillips can be uber along with Bruce. You might argue against Votto because of his position and I could live with that, but Phillips would then have to be considered uber if you get that. I would also argue that we have an uber bat in Owings, although that is only going to impact every five days.

I am also going to make the argument that if Taveras can break 60 walks, you might be able to argue for him as possibly uber.

I cannot tell you how excited I am by the early OBP signs for Phillips and Taveras. If they keep this up, this team can win 90 games, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    I would argue Votto and/or Phillips can be uber along with Bruce. You might argue against Votto because of his position and I could live with that, but Phillips would then have to be considered uber if you get that. I would also argue that we have an uber bat in Owings, although that is only going to impact every five days.

I am also going to make the argument that if Taveras can break 60 walks, you might be able to argue for him as possibly uber.

I cannot tell you how excited I am by the early OBP signs for Phillips and Taveras. If they keep this up, this team can win 90 games, IMO.
    Votto and Phillips are roughly 3 to 3.5 win players or a tick above average (average-2 win players). I'd call "uber" being 4.5 wins or better. That's obviously completely arbitrary however.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I would suggest that 'uber' is something like top 5 at their position, and I absolutely think that Phillips has the potential to play at that type of level considering his defense too. A decent increase in patience, and I think Phillips can be a special bat, as he has great bat speed and nice power. But that's still a big 'if'.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Just 5 swings this season on pitches more than 2 inches outside of the strikezone. If he keeps it up we might see the culmination of Edwin from 2007 and 2008 where he was able to hit .289 one year and hit 26 HR in another. Put those two together and he could go .290/.380/.525.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Just 5 swings this season on pitches more than 2 inches outside of the strikezone. If he keeps it up we might see the culmination of Edwin from 2007 and 2008 where he was able to hit .289 one year and hit 26 HR in another. Put those two together and he could go .290/.380/.525.
    That wouldn't suck.

So far the problem with EE's "new found patience" is that all he's doing is walking.

and hitting grand slams.

but those opportunities don't come up everyday.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    So far the problem with EE's "new found patience" is that all he's doing is walking.
    Is it possible that ultimately teams will have to work him more across the plate? Especially if the people below him start to get it together? I understand that's an important "if".
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Is it possible that ultimately teams will have to work him more across the plate? Especially if the people below him start to get it together? I understand that's an important "if".
    One would think so. Right now a pitcher has no reason to give him anything to hit. Unless the bases are loaded, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    In the few games that I've watched this year, mostly Mets and Yankees, but also others during the MLB Season Ticket preview last week, it seems to me that umpires across the board had very, very tight strikezones. And there were a lot of walks and extended counts.

The odd game out was the Mets - Marlins where Josh Johnson and Johan Santana benefited from a very wide zone.

Maybe the absence of QuesTec is having an effect?
    I dunno, on Sunday it seemed both Harang & Snell had pretty big strike zones to work with and then I was watching the Cubs game yesterday and Ted Lilly had one as well. At least in the games I've watched, it seems more strikes are being called

Turn Off Ads?