Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 60 walks

Re: 60 walks

Another SEVEN walks for the Reds tonight (including 1 for Phillips). What is with this Reds team??? Taveras had 2 of 'em.

2. Turn Off Ads?

His eye is getting quite good. Learning to take the outside pitch to right will ultimately define EE's success. I still have hope.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Another SEVEN walks for the Reds tonight (including 1 for Phillips). What is with this Reds team??? Taveras had 2 of 'em.
    I've been one of the bigger Taveras critcs on this board and I'm happy with what he's produced so far in 2009 (though his defense is iffy IMO). He needs to sustain his "newfound" approach though. In 2008 Willy had 10 Walks in 105 PA through the end of April and had an OBP of .350 when April ended.

He ended up 2008 with just 36 walks in 538 PAs and his OBP finsihed up at .308. Its too early to declare victory with this acquisition IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The Reds have been very patient at the plate this season which is a huge plus. They are racking up walks in bunches. But it seems as if they are having trouble converting them. So far in this season Votto seems like the only reliable guy the Reds have to knock in those runs. Most of Edwin's walks are wasted on Hernandez and Gonzo not hitting. Who would have thought that 7 games into the season Taveras would have a good OBP but only 1 SB?

IMO the Reds are playing good baseball right now, they just need to do a better job of plating runs. They are doing one heck of a job of getting on base, now they need to get home.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Reds have been very patient at the plate this season which is a huge plus. They are racking up walks in bunches. But it seems as if they are having trouble converting them. So far in this season Votto seems like the only reliable guy the Reds have to knock in those runs. Most of Edwin's walks are wasted on Hernandez and Gonzo not hitting. Who would have thought that 7 games into the season Taveras would have a good OBP but only 1 SB?

IMO the Reds are playing good baseball right now, they just need to do a better job of plating runs. They are doing one heck of a job of getting on base, now they need to get home.
    Interesting. I found that Gonzo has had 4 ABs with men on. Hernandez 9 ABs with a hit and 2 RBI.

In a very small sample, here's what the Reds have done as a team in different "men on" situations:

Code:
    Split         G GS  PA  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO   BA  OBP  SLG   OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
    RISP          7     78  61 29 15  1  0  4  29  0  1 12 13 .246 .372 .459  .831 28   0   2  0  3   2   0  .234   136   108
    ---           7    145 125  1 24  7  1  1   1  0  0 20 35 .192 .303 .288  .591 36   0   0  0  0   0   0  .258    68    62
    Men On        7    119  91 32 24  3  0  5  32  5  1 19 19 .264 .391 .462  .853 42   3   2  4  3   2   1  .271   142   117
    It seems like they're doing a good job of plating runners. So, I'm just guessing they need to keep getting men on and the "get 'em over" will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Interesting. I found that Gonzo has had 4 ABs with men on. Hernandez 9 ABs with a hit and 2 RBI.

In a very small sample, here's what the Reds have done as a team in different "men on" situations:

It seems like they're doing a good job of plating runners. So, I'm just guessing they need to keep getting men on and the "get 'em over" will take care of itself.
    IIRC one of Hernandez's RBI double play ball that Reyes threw into the Reds dugout. It didn't go as an error because a force out was made at second base. The season is still young so I am able to remember those types of plays. Both Hernandez and Gonzo has struggled mightily this season. I do like them hitting in the 7 and 8 holes because both have some pop in their bat and should it around 20 HR's this season. But they NEED to start hitting. If they don't Janish and Hannigan should begin to pick up the playing time.

Who would have thought that 7 games into the season Taveras would have a good OBP but only 1 SB?
    He has three stolen bases.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    He has three stolen bases.
    I am mistaken. I thought that Thom and Welch said he only had one this season last night.

I am mistaken. I thought that Thom and Welch said he only had one this season last night.
    Ah. Taveras stole two last night, so maybe that was before he made an attempt.

High five!

IIRC one of Hernandez's RBI double play ball that Reyes threw into the Reds dugout. It didn't go as an error because a force out was made at second base. The season is still young so I am able to remember those types of plays. Both Hernandez and Gonzo has struggled mightily this season. I do like them hitting in the 7 and 8 holes because both have some pop in their bat and should it around 20 HR's this season. But they NEED to start hitting. If they don't Janish and Hannigan should begin to pick up the playing time.
    They do need to start hitting but not everyone starts out well.

My main point was that the Reds were scoring runs when there were runners on.

The Reds have been very patient at the plate this season which is a huge plus. They are racking up walks in bunches. But it seems as if they are having trouble converting them.
    Eventually Dusty will have to put his foot down....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?