Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baker Squashes Patterson Rumor...

Baker Squashes Patterson Rumor...

HOUSTON -- Reds manager Dusty Baker had heard enough of the gossip, and he wants to put a stop to it.
    For months, there has been a rumor circulating that center fielder Corey Patterson was getting playing time, even while he was struggling, because he was dating Baker's daughter, Natosha. The conspiracy theory has made the rounds on Internet and talk radio, and it has gotten back to the Baker family.

It's not true, Baker said.

"Some of the players on the Astros asked me about it," Baker said on Wednesday. "I don't know where it came from. It's really, really unfair to my daughter, my family and me. It's very upsetting. It's unprofessional. I don't know who started it."

Patterson played for Baker from 2004-05 with the Cubs and was signed to a $3 million one-year contract with the Reds in March during Spring Training. Installed as the leadoff hitter, Patterson was unsuccessful, and his hitting woes got him sent to Triple-A Louisville in late May. He was recalled only a few days later, when center fielder Ryan Freel suffered a season-ending hamstring injury.

A main target of criticism among Reds fans during this losing season, Patterson entered Wednesday batting .203 with nine home runs, 33 RBIs and a .238 on-base percentage. The 29-year-old has played a lot the past several weeks, but he no longer is in the leadoff spot in the lineup.

"When you look around, how many real outfield choices do I have or have I had the last four months?" Baker said. "Freel got hurt. [Norris] Hopper got hurt. Then Jerry [Hairston Jr.] got hurt, twice. We traded [Adam] Dunn and [Ken] Griffey, and now [Chris] Dickerson is hurt. What options did I have?

"It bothers me now when it gets around the league and guys ask me about it. I've heard it before, but I dismissed it. Why not Joey Votto? Why not Jay Bruce or Edwin Encarnacion? They're single."

Baker said people within the Reds organization have broached the Patterson rumor with him, too. He and Patterson also discussed it briefly, but quickly dismissed the talk as silly gossip.

Now, it's not so silly anymore.

"It doesn't bother me as much as it bothers my daughter or my wife," Baker said. "People that don't know what they're talking about need to be quiet. My daughter hasn't even been to Cincinnati, I don't think. Throughout my life and career, I've been the victim of a whole bunch of gossip. This is probably the worst."

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

This is an article found on reds.com, I would like to know why I was basically flagged on this site a couple years ago, and put on message board probation, when I simply ripped the performance of Todd Coffey as a pitcher, but it's acceptable to continually bash Dusty Baker, and Corey Patterson, and even make false accusations about them as people off the field. I just think it's kind of ridiculous the lack of class that has been shown by some reds fans in this situation, and would hope they realize how childish this type of thing is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baker Squashes Patterson Rumor...

Well I mean everyone cant think of why else he would be playing.....

This is BS. No matter what anybody thinks of Baker, there is no reason to bring his family into it. Spreading lies about someone else's family is about as classless as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    This is BS. No matter what anybody thinks of Baker, there is no reason to bring his family into it. Spreading lies about someone else's family is about as classless as it gets.
    You are right it is,but so is this:
    "When you look around, how many real outfield choices do I have or have I had the last four months?" Baker said. "Freel got hurt. [Norris] Hopper got hurt. Then Jerry [Hairston Jr.] got hurt, twice. We traded [Adam] Dunn and [Ken] Griffey, and now [Chris] Dickerson is hurt. What options did I have?

Oh please, this is hardly a political attack on a person because of familial issues (a la Palin). This is some harmless ribbing because of odd circumstances, practically a peice of absurdist humor. If this really bothers Dusty then he needs to grow some thicker skin. This little bit wasn't even vitriolic, unlike people calling for his firing for other issues.

throws 106. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by redsbuckeye View Post
    Oh please, this is hardly a political attack on a person because of familial issues (a la Palin). This is some harmless ribbing because of odd circumstances, practically a peice of absurdist humor. If this really bothers Dusty then he needs to grow some thicker skin. This little bit wasn't even vitriolic, unlike people calling for his firing for other issues.
    Agreed 100%.

Kind of a slap in the face to CPat the way Dusty got so offended.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Baker says its "unprofessional".

What does he think it is with him leaving Jay Bruce in the minors for 2 months so Corey can flounder?

How quickly you all forget.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post

What does he think it is with him leaving Jay Bruce in the minors for 2 months so Corey can flounder?

That was a business decision purely and simply, and you know it. At least in your heart of hearts..

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by redsbuckeye View Post

Except the the political attack on Palin (her daughter getting prenant out of wedlock) was true. The statement about Baker's daughter was a lie. And I bet if I started spreading lies about redbuckeyes' family, he wouldn't consider it "harmless ribbing".

"It bothers me now when it gets around the league and guys ask me about it. I've heard it before, but I dismissed it. Why not Joey Votto? Why not Jay Bruce or Edwin Encarnacion? They're single."
    Oh Dusty. Please tell me that you didn't just assume this was a race issue?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post

You are aware that the manager does not set the roster, right?
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Except the the political attack on Palin (her daughter getting prenant out of wedlock) was true. The statement about Baker's daughter was a lie. And I bet if I started spreading lies about redbuckeyes' family, he wouldn't consider it "harmless ribbing".
    The analogy went way over your head. The point of the political attack was to discredit Palin's character and was done for some gain. The point of referring to Dusty's family as a reason for his penchant for illogically playing Patterson was to have a laugh, and done for no gain. The truth or falsity of the accusation wasn't even really relevant.

If you were spreading lies about my family to just get a laugh because I'm doing something foolish, well, I might just laugh too. If you're trying to discredit my character, then I have issues.

And let the next round of spin begin...

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Baker pushed for and then played Patterson, even when all of his OF's were healthy. He gave a guy that was unemployed an absurd amount of AB's and, even more absurd, gave a horrible OBP guy the lead off spot. This rumor really took off because people couldn't understand why Patterson was playing and batting leadoff, to begin the season and why it continued when he re-affirmed his career stats by being awful. I doubt that anybody intended to hurt anybody's family by suggesting they are related, maybe Baker should put all this to rest by explaining why he pushed for Patterson, why Patterson started on opening day, what it was in his history that made anybody think he should be the lead-off hitter for this team, why he is making 3M, and worst of all-what about Patterson's performance this year made you think that he should STAY in that role for so long and get so many AB's?
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I don't get why this was so offensive to Dusty and family, as he called it the worst of all the gossip he had ever experienced. Unless Corey Patterson kills puppies in private, he seems to be a decent guy, so why the embarassment to the Baker family? It was simply a throwaway comment along the lines of, "he must have pictures of _____". I think Dusty referring to himself as a "victim" is pretty overreactive.

Now if Patterson is back in 2009, I'll start believing that it's Dusty that Corey is in the relationship with... (a joke, Dusty)

It wasn't spreading lies. I've heard the rumor for a while. I thought it was BS, but I didn't know if it was true or false - no one said anything publicly. It's only a lie if you know it's false.

Really, the reason it gained any traction is the fact that it seems impossible to explain Dusty's reasons for running CP out there all the time. Dusty came here and shortly thereafter the Reds invite Patterson, his boy, to spring training. Then they sign him for $3+ mil., even as a non-roster invitee. Then Krivsky gets fired and says that he was told by Bob C. to sign Patterson. Then Dusty makes him our opening day CF and keeps putting him out there despite a sub-.200 average and sub-.300 OBP. When someone says they heard CP is dating Dusty's daughter, who is about the same age as Patterson, honestly, I can see someone believing it, because it might explain this mystery.

The other explanation, which I subscribed to, is Dusty is a complete moron and a terrible manager. To wit, the guy's played in 130 games this year, and Dusty's telling us that he's had no choice to play him, since we traded Dunn and Griffey? Freel wasn't hurt at the beginning of the year, when Dusty was penciling in CP every game (right? Not that I'm a huge Freel fan, but he's better than Patterson).

And the rumor doesn't pick on Dusty's daughter at all. CP seems like a decent guy, a major leaguer, he's rich, he's in good shape - what's so bad about a rumor that he's you're boyfriend? It's a shot at Dusty, not his daughter.

Turn Off Ads?