Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Too Many Sure Outs

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Too Many Sure Outs

I mentioned in the game thread tonight the fact that four members of tonight's lineup were hitting less than even the Houston pitcher. that's really sad.

It also was obvious tonight that several players should not be retained next year, especially with Freel under contract. You might want to bet with Hairston as a bench player, but it's somewhat clear that Patterson, Bako, Richar, and Majewski should not be asked back. Roenike should go back to AAA.

Back to my point, with 9 men batting and having 4 sure outs (even though Patterson got lucky and hit a homer), you don't have much chance of scoring runs. Add in Edwin Encarnacion who frequently goes through the sure out syndrome and you only have four players who you can count on.

The Reds need some punch and Joey Votto and Jay Bruce are not enough to carry this team offensively in 2009.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Too Many Sure Outs

You're way too harsh and quick to condemn Richar. Of those you mentioned he will be back to try for a backup slot. He probably winds up in AAA if he has any options left. The others should be dumped. You're bashing the offense that scored 6 runs but don't get nearly so upset about the defense that allowed half or more of those runs to score against. The hitting is the second problem after defense. A good defensive shortstop and the Reds would have won.

I'm not being harsh. Richar needs seasoning, that's all. And I've commented on the defense many times. If you go across the infield, only Phillips is exemplary at his position. But, in no way can we ignore offense. We advocate pitching so much and ignore offense and defense. But only through offense can you win games. You pitcher allows 4 runs (which is the norm), you must score 5. How can you do that with the players we now have? You cannot. Yes, we need better defense, but this pitching staff is far from ace status and probably won't be in our lifetimes regardless of what the kids are doing.

That said, find some people who can get on base and drive runs in. Improve the defense with players who can hit .270 and OBP at .350. Winning 3-2 games will nt win you a trip to the playoffs if you don't score some runs before the 9th inning. Those runs tonight pad stats, but didn't do a thing as far as winning or losing, which if I' not mistaken is the goal.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I'm not being harsh. Richar needs seasoning, that's all. And I've commented on the defense many times. If you go across the infield, only Phillips is exemplary at his position. But, in no way can we ignore offense. We advocate pitching so much and ignore offense and defense. But only through offense can you win games. You pitcher allows 4 runs (which is the norm), you must score 5. How can you do that with the players we now have? You cannot. Yes, we need better defense, but this pitching staff is far from ace status and probably won't be in our lifetimes regardless of what the kids are doing.

That said, find some people who can get on base and drive runs in. Improve the defense with players who can hit .270 and OBP at .350. Winning 3-2 games will nt win you a trip to the playoffs if you don't score some runs before the 9th inning. Those runs tonight pad stats, but didn't do a thing as far as winning or losing, which if I' not mistaken is the goal.
    Joey Votto is an above average first baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Joey Votto is an above average first baseman.
    I totally agree. he's just not a defensive wizard, but plenty good for a first baseman and he will improve.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?