Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds coaching staff to return...

Schnickelfritz

Reds coaching staff to return...

According to John Fay.

Walt Jocketty said Friday that the entire Reds' coaching staff will return for next year.

"I talked to Dusty and he feels the same way," Jocketty said.

Pitching coach Dick Pole, hitting coach Brook Jacoby, bench coach Chris Speier, first base coach Billy Hatcher, third base coach Mark Berry, bullpen coach Juan Lopez and bullpen catcher Mike Stefanski all are expected to return. Speier and Lopez were Baker's only hires, although Pole has worked for him in the past.

"I was very pleased with the job they did," Baker said. "This year was an observation year, not that they were on probation. I wanted some stability. I always hear about football players having four offensive coordinators in five years. The way society is today you have a basic distrust of autority. It takes a year to build that trust and then another year to put in you program."

Jocketty said Terry Reynolds will be back as director of player development and Chris Buckley will return as scouting director. Jocketty said the Reds will add some scouts, but there won't be a big front office shakeup.

"Terry and Chris have both done a good job," he said.

Former Seattle GM Bill Bavasi will probably get some title other than special assistant. Jocketty hired Bavasi and Jerry Walker, who worked for Jocketty in St. Louis, shortly after taking over as GM.

"We're working out (what Bavasi's title will be)," Jocketty said. "We'll announce it all at once."

The Reds are having their organizational meetings here this weekend. CEO Bob Castellini is coming in tomorrow to attend.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds coaching staff to return...

* Shrug *

If Arroyo and Harang had kept their bad season going I think Pole would easily have to go, but he has to get a lot of credit I would think for those guys turning it around (plus a successful run for Volquez and Cueto).
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Old Red Guard Reject

This is troubling. Dusty is bad enough without sub-par coaches like Pole and Jacoby to bring down the team. You should always look to upgrade if possible.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.............

oh wait.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    * Shrug *
    yeah I don't know how i feel about it.

I dont feel like any of these guys have won anything.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

why do i have a feeling patterson will now be back

Schnickelfritz

If he is back, I will personally lead the revolt to burn down Reds offices.

This is a disaster.

Schnickelfritz

Considering that there have been loads of changes over the last few years, maybe some consistency would be a good thing.

I know, I know. But I'm trying to put a George Grande-ian look at this.

I don't know what Walt Jocketty is doing. Maybe he likes coach stability (e.g. St. Louis), but this is unacceptable. If this was at Castellini's request, then this is more disturbing. An owner hires a general manager to manage every baseball aspect of the organization, and he has no business determining who stays and who goes, in my opinion.

Of course, we all know that Dusty Baker should be the one to go, ultimately. Unfortunately, that won't happen, and until he leaves, I don't see the organization doing anything in terms of postseason contention. Even with a right-handed production bat, I just do not see it.

See post below.
    Last edited by demas863; 10-03-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: errata

Quote Originally Posted by MBZags View Post
    I don't know what Walt Jocketty is doing. Maybe he likes coach stability (e.g. St. Louis), but this is unacceptable. If this was at Castellini's request, then this is more disturbing. An owner hires a general manager to manage every baseball aspect of the organization, and he has no business determining who stays and who goes, in my opinion.

Of course, we all know that Dusty Baker should be the one to go, ultimately. Unfortunately, that won't happen, and until he leaves, I don't see the organization doing anything in terms of postseason contention. Even with a right-handed production bat, I just do not see it.
    Perhaps he's allowing Duhsty to put the nails in his own coffin. Patterson and Bako were the first two of several. If the Reds don't come out of the box strong in 2009 Duhsty will be gone. Don't forget Castellini hired Duhsty to "win now". The personnel merry-go-round, largely do to Castellini's interfering, half-assed backwards approach, has got to be stabilized with Jockety calling the shots. At St.Louis Jockety demonstrated he has to have it his way and rightly so. I'm in agreement with you. A GM should have the discretion to pick his own manager - something this organization seems to have forgotten.

Regarding the coaching staff;
    "I was very pleased with the job they did," Baker said.
    Are you freaking serious. At least stand up and say they were terrible this year, admit you were terrible. It's comments like these that prove the guy is challenged. Dusty quotes = gems of stupidity.

Turn Off Ads?