Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Hawaii Winter League game updates

Re: 2008 Hawaii Winter League game updates

Will yonder make it to Hawaii? How long is the season?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Will yonder make it to Hawaii? How long is the season?
    Yonder is probably still in Instructional League. The Hawaiin League regular season ends on November 15th.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yonder is expected to play in the next day or two.

10-3:

Frazier 0 for 3 with a sac fly. He played LF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10/4 game:

Frazier went 2-for-4 with a double and a walk. Through seven games (27 atbats), Frazier is hitting .333/.355/.630 - .985 OPS with five doubles and one homer.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    10/4 game:

Frazier went 2-for-4 with a double and a walk. Through seven games (27 atbats), Frazier is hitting .333/.355/.630 - .985 OPS with five doubles and one homer.
    Frazier is poised for a quick climb in 2009, IMO. He already has 400+ PA in High A and the Hawaiin league adds to his prep time. He's a RH bat with some pop who realistically fits best defensively at 1B or a Corner OF spot. It seems that the Reds happen to be looking for a RH bat for one of those spots. I'd make do with a stopgap to start the year and wait for Frazier and Alonzo to arrive. The Reds may have quite a crowd by the end of 2009 and trading a bunch of stuff or committing long term to LF seems like a waste of resources when there are glaring needs elsewhere. I think Frazier starts in AA with a quick promotion to AAA with a good month or so added to his Hawaiin time. He could be in Cincy by the end of the year and actaully beat Alonso to the team. If Frazier could play RF, we could see Bruce in CF, Votto in LF and Alonso at 1B and Dickerson as the 4th OF and defensive replacement.

Another option might be Alonso at 1B, Votto LF, Dickerson/Stubbs/Heisey in CF with Bruce in RF and Frazier a supersub. Frazier played 3B last night. I'd like to see him spend a lot of time in RF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10/5 game:

Yonder Alonso has finally made his way to Hawaii.

Alonso: 1-for-2
    Frazier: 1-for-2

Frazier is now 2-for-3 while Alonso is 1-for-3.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yonder is expected to play in the next day or two.
    Sources are good to have.

thanks for the updates. It would seem to me that an outfield of Votto-Bruce-Frazier would be along the lines (though slightly more athletic) than the OF rotation that we've been seeing the last couple of years in Cincy. If nothing else, Patterson & Dickerson's defense proved to me (or reproved) the value of a pick 'em up and set 'em down, go get 'em defender in the outfielder. Patterson's offense is obviously a different subject, but I don't think it wise to just put your 3 best sluggers in the outfield and run with it.

Having a guy that can hit a little (or a lot) and go get 'em in the outfielder seems like a wise move. Dickerson has certainly encouraged me the last month of the season, but time will tell if that holds up. I'd be very weary of a Votto-Bruce-Frazier outfield. I think cincy would be back to more of what we've seen the last 3 years.

Me: I like Bruce in RF, either Votto or Frazier (or Edwin or a stud via trade or FA) in LF and a solid glove w/ a little pop (or leadoff capability) in CF. Seems like Dickerson & Stubbs give the reds two potential options for that CF spot. Lock down LF w/ a semi-competant defender w/ a good bat, and Bruce in RF and they're on to something truely special.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sources are good to have.
    So what is it when you're my source Doug?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    thanks for the updates. It would seem to me that an outfield of Votto-Bruce-Frazier would be along the lines (though slightly more athletic) than the OF rotation that we've been seeing the last couple of years in Cincy. If nothing else, Patterson & Dickerson's defense proved to me (or reproved) the value of a pick 'em up and set 'em down, go get 'em defender in the outfielder. Patterson's offense is obviously a different subject, but I don't think it wise to just put your 3 best sluggers in the outfield and run with it.

Having a guy that can hit a little (or a lot) and go get 'em in the outfielder seems like a wise move. Dickerson has certainly encouraged me the last month of the season, but time will tell if that holds up. I'd be very weary of a Votto-Bruce-Frazier outfield. I think cincy would be back to more of what we've seen the last 3 years.

Me: I like Bruce in RF, either Votto or Frazier (or Edwin or a stud via trade or FA) in LF and a solid glove w/ a little pop (or leadoff capability) in CF. Seems like Dickerson & Stubbs give the reds two potential options for that CF spot. Lock down LF w/ a semi-competant defender w/ a good bat, and Bruce in RF and they're on to something truely special.
    well said. a speed burner in CF is needed to field a strong defensive team.
    that guy is likely Stubbs and/or Dickerson.
    Dickerson had a great start. I doubt he is an everyday CF but he could be a platoon CF or a good 4th OF.

I would be more than happy if the Reds went young next season. I have no intrest in seeing them pick up veteran journeymen like they have so many times in years past. Trust your scouts and your system and go young. Unless drastic measures are taken, this team probably isn't going to compete next season. So see what the young guys are made of, so you know who to trade and who to keep. Maybe even clear so payroll in order to make a run in 2010, once most of the prospects mature. I could handle a losing season in '09 if I see a plan being put in action (a plan would include no CPat or Bako type players).

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I would be more than happy if the Reds went young next season. I have no intrest in seeing them pick up veteran journeymen like they have so many times in years past. Trust your scouts and your system and go young. Unless drastic measures are taken, this team probably isn't going to compete next season.
    I would also be happy if they continued with the young movement. I believe there are young guys on the team and still out there that can bring quality baseball back to Cincy. I'm also tired of the vets and the ball and chain contracts that they bring. A next year with youth might not be a losing season, they might fool a lot of us if the right players are obtained and given an opportunity.

10-7: Hawaiin game starts shortly. Frazier at 3B batting third. Alonso hitting 4th at 1B.

Turn Off Ads?