Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mariners to hire first female GM?

Mariners to hire first female GM?

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10996982

SEATTLE -- Mariners president Chuck Armstrong said his team is vetting a wide range of general manager candidates, pointedly leaving open the possibility of Seattle hiring the first female general manager in major league history.

Highly regarded Los Angeles Dodgers assistant GM Kim Ng is considered an option.

The 39-year-old Ng has had her job for seven seasons and was a top adviser to New York Yankees' GM Brian Cashman before that. She was believed to be the final candidate beaten out by Ned Colletti when Los Angeles selected a new GM in 2005, and the Dodgers say she is the first woman to ever interview for a GM job.

She may be getting a second interview soon.

"It's time for some fresh thinking," Armstrong said at the end of his 23rd season with the team -- what he called his worst and most "miserable" one.

"We're color blind, gender blind," he went on to say. "We just want the best person that we think would be the best person for the Mariners as we move forward," Armstrong said.

He and team CEO Howard Lincoln said the replacement for Bill Bavasi, fired June 16, and temporary in-house fill-in Lee Pelekoudas will be an outsider with new ideas to resurrect the franchise.

This week Seattle became the first major league team with a $100 million player payroll to lose 100 games. The Mariners began the season expecting to win the AL West but entered Friday night's game against Oakland at 58-101, their most losses since 1983. They must win one of their final three games to avoid matching their worst season of 104 losses in 1978.

"Inside, we have our own thoughts. But it's good, I think, to go outside and get some fresh views," Armstrong said. "We are looking for a new, fresh perspective and some good leadership."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mariners to hire first female GM?

"It's time for some fresh thinking," Armstrong said at the end of his 23rd season with the team -- what he called his worst and most "miserable" one.
    Kim Ng would be a good choice. She's competent (though not sabermetrically inclined enough to suit me) and traditional enough for ownership but open minded enough to listen to other talented people as well. That said, you have to wonder about the path they took when deciding to interview her...

Armstrong: "I think we need a change. Bavasi was bald-we need someone with hair".

Lincoln: "I agree but you know, Bavasi has a penis too."

Armstrong: "You're right! Hey, I've heard that Kim Ng has hair but I don't think that she has a penis. What do you think?"

Lincoln: " You might be onto something. I know you're a sabermetrics expert but lets leverage our stat guy, Olkin, to verify what our eyes are saying about the hair/gender thing."

Armstrong
    : "Sure! Think how easy Ng will be to market as part of our family-friendly brand in the PCW too. I mean people will get all fuzzy just thinking about having a picnic at Safeco while watching the crazy antics of our "Moose". "

Armstrong: "Hey. Olkin just returned my text message. He confirms that Ng does have hair and two X chromosomes. He also said that she was on the short list we asked him to submit in July. How did we miss that?"

Anyway, the Ms are so paranoidly secretive about this kind of stuff, one has to wonder if this really is a death knell to Ng's prospects in Seattle.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-27-2008 at 03:01 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

By all accounts, Ng is extremely qualified and would be a great choice.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I know there were quite a few here who were interested in her when the Reds were interviewing, and ended up hiring Wayne.

She gets a lot of props but I really don't know what her credentials are. Care to share?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I know there were quite a few here who were interested in her when the Reds were interviewing, and ended up hiring Wayne.

I really don't remember her ever being in the running for the Reds spot.

Rem

I don't think it's going to happen for her now. I don't see a female GM hired for at least another 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Wasn't Jim Bowden the first?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I really don't remember her ever being in the running for the Reds spot.

Rem
    I don't believe she was in the running at all - however, there were a few on the board who had hopes she would at least be called in for an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think it's going to happen for her now. I don't see a female GM hired for at least another 10 years.
    I don't know, he sounded like a guy that wanted to make a splash. I say he does hire her.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I doubt it ever happens, GM is a big old boys club.
    Go Gators!

Why is her sex getting the publicity here? Have we ever had a GM of Chinese decent before?

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I don't know, he sounded like a guy that wanted to make a splash. I say he does hire her.
    Great choice. I hope a ground swell gets her in. Great opportunity for her. She might be OVER qualified to take the M's...
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Anyone heard if Krivsky is going to get an interview for the M's job?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Anyone heard if Krivsky is going to get an interview for the M's job?
    He has no chance.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?