Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jocketty expects payroll to climb, lists priorities

Jocketty expects payroll to climb, lists priorities

Jocketty expects payroll to climb, lists priorities
    Posted by JohnFay at 9/27/2008 3:21 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Here's your weekly preview of the Sunday Insider for the paper:

Walt Jocketty wouldn't give an exact number, but he said he expects the player payroll to climb for next season. I don't like to write about money and payroll -- and I don't think spending is necessarily tied to winning -- but I think it's significant that the Reds will up the payroll for 2009. That means they're going to try to win next year, despite going younger over the last couple months.

My guess is payroll will end up in the $80 million range. It was $74 million at the start of this season. With Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. off the books, that will give the Reds money to spend on the free agent market.

The top priority?

"I think we still need a right-handed hitter, a runner producer," Jocketty said, "not necessarily, a home run hitter, but a run producer, someone who can drive in runs in the clutch."

I'm not sure that kind of player is available on the free agent market. A trade for high-salary guy -- Matt Holliday or Magglio Ordonez? -- might be the best way to fill that need.

Jocketty has re-evaluated the needs somewhat in light of recent play of young guys like Ryan Hanigan and Chris Dickerson.

"There are way to improve in different areas, but I've been very impressed with the way team's played the last few weeks," Jocketty said. "Hanigan did a great job catching. I would still say we're not sure with (Alex) Gonzalez at short. He should be able to come back. But we've said all along that catching, short and center field are our needs, along with the right-handed hitter, the leadoff hitter. Now we know we have some flexibility. We've seen what Ryan Hanigan can do. We all feel very good about what he's shown us. If a frontline guy's not available, Ryan could fill that need. If we allocate money in different areas, we know that Dickerson can play center field and be a leadoff hitter. We know Gonzalez is coming back and can play short. I think it's going to be more looking at what's available and if it upgrades our club.

"Our pitching staff was good but is there somebody out there who could make it better."

It's interesting that Jocketty doesn't list pitching as a top priority. When is last time a Reds GM said that at the close of a season?

"I feel real good about the starting pitching," Jocketty said. "I've talked to a number of clubs who say I wish I had your pitching going into next year."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty expects payroll to climb, lists priorities

"I think we still need a right-handed hitter, a runner producer," Jocketty said, "not necessarily, a home run hitter, but a run producer, someone who can drive in runs in the clutch."
    Of course!
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If the money is there, Magglio Ordonez could be a very solid fit and much cheaper to acquire than Holliday.

Add Magglio and Derek Lowe, pushing the other young starters (Ramirez, Thompson) to the bullpen, and I'd be happy. I REALLY don't like the idea of pursing a catcher in FA or trading for somebody likely to be no better than Hanigan. And I'm comfortable with a Freel/Dickerson platoon in CF given the other options out there.

Though if I hear "clutch" one more time I'm going to pull my hair out. Take 2 guys, one who is a clearly superior player overall, and I'll guess the better one in the clutch 95% of the time. I'm really tired of this focus on the details while the getting the big things so wrong.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Jocketty shouldn't count on Gonzalez returning and playing well. Shortstop along with left field would be my top two priorities this offseason. And while I like the front four of Volquez/Harang/Cueto/Arroyo, I would still like to see another solid starter acquired to compete with Micah Owings and Ramon Ramirez for the fifth spot. Another reliever wouldn't hurt either.

I just wish payroll amounts were on a need to know level until the money is spent. If Jocketty announces to the press that he has 80 million or so to spend, that only puts pressure on Walt to spend it...regardless if it is spent wisely or not. Does that make sense to anyone?

I wonder if Jocketty will follow the typical pattern and look to his old organization for help. We saw Krivsky go toward Minnesota to get the likes of Kyle Lohse, Juan Castro and the great Joe Mays. We have seen Jim Bowden make a Reds alumni association in Washington, and Jocketty himself made multiple deals with Oakland after moving to St. Louis including bringing guys like Larussa, Duncan, McGwire and Mulder to the Cardinals. Heck even Dano went back to Texas to bring in Jerry Narron and Houston for Todd Jones, Ricky Stone and Mike Burns.

So which Cardinal Contracts might we see the Reds look to assume or players might they pursue? For me the fear is that we'll see David Eckstein, Jim Edmonds, Izzy and Mark Mulder. Personally, I hope he targets minor league catcher Bryan Anderson from his former organization. A LH Hitting catcher with some buzz who could share the spot with Hanigan and free Castillo for the 25th man duties he seems most suited for.

Another Cards related thought that scares the heck out of me is Scott Rolen. He's a RH Bat who theoretically would improve the defense at 3B and could help in the middle of the order. You wonder if Walt will try to get him cheap by assuming that contract and hoping that a full offseason to recover from last year's surgery and GABP will revive his career. It would fit with the talk of moving EdE to LF and if healthy would definitely shore up the offense and the defense. The increased payroll would cover the cost and I doubt much talent would need to be surrendered. The Reds may even get the Jays to take Freel off their hands to get the deal done. It would fit in pattern with the similar deal he made to get an injury plagued McGwire from the A's to turn the Cards around. A recovering Rolen could be a similar move for Walt in Cincy. Rolen is from Jasper, IN and would probably view a move to cincy favorably.

Remember, Castellini has Cardinal ties too and probably wouldn't object to acquiring some pricey former Cards.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-27-2008 at 06:19 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I can't believe Jocketty just divulged the secret plan of the Cincinnati Reds. How will they ever compete now?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think Jocketty said more there than Krivsky said in his entire tenure...

Yeah....3 catchers again....Valentin again?

Good grief.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Javy's a pinch hitter

Castillo could fill that third catcher position.....

Rem

Might as well call up Smokey Burgess....they said he could wake up from a winter sleep and get a hit.

Walt, please improve the defense in the offseason. Please get rid of Jeff Keppinger and find a major league caliber shortstop. This team won't contend until the defense is upgraded.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Walt, please improve the defense in the offseason. Please get rid of Jeff Keppinger and find a major league caliber shortstop. This team won't contend until the defense is upgraded.
    I'd rather Keppinger stay on the team than Hairston, or Valentin, or Hopper or Andy Phillips.

I don't want Keppinger to start by any means (anymore, anyway... ), but I definitely think he's useful off the bench. Definitely more valuable than that list above, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This team won't contend until the defense is upgraded.
    Well, Walt's been building ballclubs longer than you've been on the planet so I would think that he knows that. He also deals in reality rather than attach himself to what he wish it would be; that's for fans---the salient thought there is that reality is often different than wishes.

This is not to dump on you but sometimes wishes and ability to complete those wishes are two different things.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?