Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What would YOU do with EE over the offseason?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave him at 3B

40 57.97%
  • Move him to LF

8 11.59%
  • Move him to 1B

1 1.45%
  • Trade him to fill a hole

19 27.54%
  • Other (Please explain your crazy idea)

1 1.45%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would YOU do with EE over the offseason?

What would YOU do with EE over the offseason?

If you were Walt Jocketty, what would YOU do with Edwin Encarnacion over the offseason?

Leave him at 3B?

Move him to LF?

Move him to 1B?

Trade him to fill a hole?

Other (Plaese explain your crazy idea)?
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 09-28-2008 at 07:16 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would YOU do with EE over the offseason?

The third option is meant to read "Move to 1B." Mods, can you fix that?

Because we have no better solutions at 3rd, and have too many other holes to fill, I see no benefit of moving him off 3rd. Until Frazier is ready, EE is best served staying at 3rd.

Votto needs to stay at first until Yonder is ready too.

unless we are going after a big right hand bat at 3B, I say hold him at 3B...

honestly I'm more into moving Votto left than moving EE there.

I don't think you can answer this question short of what other talent can be acquired. I guess my answer is: whatever is necessary to add another plus bat (in addition to EE himself).

I'd be willing to move him to either 1B or LF if that was part of the process.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

EE is way down the list of problems with this team, unless bowled over with an offer that solves some of the glaring weaknesses leave him be.
    Go Gators!

To me it depends - how good do you think his age prime seasons are going to be?

Edwin is relatively cheap and under the Reds' control for the next few seasons. If you think he'll mature into a .850-.875 guy in his peak years, I'd stick him in LF and enjoy the production. If you're not convinced he can do that, trade him to fix another hole.

I'm not on board with keeping him at third (because he's terrible there) or moving him to 1B (Votto is pretty solid at first and Alonso is on the way - so what's the point?). Either move him to LF or trade him... and I'm going to cop out and not vote in the poll, since I don't know what kind of trade value he has.

I'd select trade him, but it would have to be a very good return in a high need area. Otherwise keep him at 3rd.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'd pass the buck and leave it up to Jocketty to make a deal with him in it, with all the expectations of Jocketty being able to improve the team with his plans.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'd select trade him, but it would have to be a very good return in a high need area. Otherwise keep him at 3rd.
    That is where I come down. The team has a few holes to fill and giving up on EdE just creates another one. Since I think its inevitable that Votto moves to LF, EE to 1B until Alonso is ready would be OK if another 3B is obtained. But, since Alonso is coming, EdE would have to be traded sooner or later anyway. Moving him to 1B prior to trading him probably just reduces the return. Keep him at 3B or deal him, but if it doesn't fill a more important, less organizationally deep hole, what's the point really? It would just require using up more of the precious trading chips to replace him and the Reds have bigger needs for those.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

For those who voted to move EE to LF, does that mean you see as an alignment of EE in LF and Votto at 1B better than Votto in LF and EE at 1B?

I voted to move EE to LF primarily hoping that the FO would get serious about defense and make a move to strengthen it at 3B (and SS). The advantage of moving EE to left instead of to first with Votto going to left is simply that it means only moving one player rather than two. Frankly I don't think we have any chance to contend in 2009 and I hope whatever moves Jocketty makes don't hurt our chances for 2010 and beyond. By 2010 I project Votto in LF, Alonso on 1b, and Bruce in RF--with the great likelihood that the other five spots will be filled by players not currently on our roster.

Leave him at 3B for now. He will either improve his defense at third, or he will be traded. I don't think a move to LF is advisable. He never played the outfield in the minors, and has little major league OF experience.

Senor Votto

Leave him at 3rd base and move Votto to left field in Spring Training. Play him there most of the time and get 1st base ready for Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    For those who voted to move EE to LF, does that mean you see as an alignment of EE in LF and Votto at 1B better than Votto in LF and EE at 1B?
    Absolutely. There are two capable defenders in the Cincinnati infield right now and Votto is one of them. I suppose I'd consider moving Votto when Alonso is eventually ready but I don't at all understand the calls to move him now.

Turn Off Ads?