Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What would YOU do with EE over the offseason?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave him at 3B

40 57.97%
  • Move him to LF

8 11.59%
  • Move him to 1B

1 1.45%
  • Trade him to fill a hole

19 27.54%
  • Other (Please explain your crazy idea)

1 1.45%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would YOU do with EE over the offseason?

Re: What would YOU do with EE over the offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Absolutely. There are two capable defenders in the Cincinnati infield right now and Votto is one of them. I suppose I'd consider moving Votto when Alonso is eventually ready but I don't at all understand the calls to move him now.
    Why mess with moving EdE now if the team is going to have to move Votto in another year? Why not just move Votto now and get a year of experience under hs belt and speed the improvement process? If next year is a year to put the pieces in place for an eventual contender in 2010 and beyond, it would seem a good time to get Votto's growing pains out of the way. Why mess with EdE's growing pains in 2009 and then start all over with Votto at square one again when Alonso arrives?

Much of this is based on Walt's statement that Votto could move positions to make way for another player in a manner similar to what Pujols did in St. Louis.

I disagree about Votto's defense. 1B is about digging throws and completing the other end of the tough plays that would otherwise be an error on the guy who made the throw or an IF hit. I don't see Votto as very good at that. He's rangey over there, but that is secondary where 1B is concerned IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-29-2008 at 02:00 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Would love to trade Encarnacion if we could find someone who overvalues him. Good luck with that though. Would have helped if he would have finished the season strong and ended up with 30 HRs or something, but at least he had 26. He has some value, despite his horrendous defense and lack of plate discipline. But I don't think he has very much. So it's easy to say "trade him" but what can we get for him? That is the big question. I guarantee Jocketty doesn't want a 3B that can't catch it or throw it, especially when the SS position is unsettled. Wow, the more I type the more I realize what a mess we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Would love to trade Encarnacion if we could find someone who overvalues him. Good luck with that though. Would have helped if he would have finished the season strong and ended up with 30 HRs or something, but at least he had 26. He has some value, despite his horrendous defense and lack of plate discipline. But I don't think he has very much. So it's easy to say "trade him" but what can we get for him? That is the big question. I guarantee Jocketty doesn't want a 3B that can't catch it or throw it, especially when the SS position is unsettled. Wow, the more I type the more I realize what a mess we are.
    Can the Reds trade EE to RedsZone? I don't think Edwin is as good as people on this board think he his. He is an adequate bat but his inability to make the routine plays make me think he needs to find a different position. I don't think Edwin has lived up to his expectations over the course of his career. He could possibly be a candidate for change of scenery. I would love to see him succeed as a Red but I keep seeing the same disappointment out of him year in year out.

I agree with you bucksfan2. Baseball is a game that is all about making the routine plays, over and over, and that is Encarnacion's biggest problem. He has flashes of brilliance and makes some outstanding plays, but seems to lose focus on the routine plays. Those plays make up the majority of a baseball game. Edwin might be a perfect candidate for a change of scenery, and if so, I hope he does well.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I'm not crazy about moving him to left simply because istm that in adding a RH bat, a leftfielder would be the easiest target. Moving him to first, of course, would have the same effect, since Votto would be shifted to left.

As far as trading him goes, I'm open, but I'm also worried about how the team would replace him at third. I don't think the team could afford an offensive downgrade, although I admit the defense can be a serious problem. For the moment, I'd sit tight with him but perhaps keep my eyes open in case a third baseman who can field but isn't an offensive downgrade becomes available or develops within the system.

unless the Reds come up with another 3b I would leave him there.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Many on this board support acquiring Adrian Beltre. Where would that leave EE?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I forget about Beltre. If the Reds sign him, that changes the situation. I'd guess LF now, trade later when Yonder's here.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Many on this board support acquiring Adrian Beltre.
    Replacing EE with a guy likely to have an even lower OBP while being very expensive doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

Walt has to find guys that will both improve the defense and the OBP.
    Last edited by flyer85; 09-29-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Replacing EE with a guy likely to have an even lower OBP while being very expensive doesn't seem like a recipe for success.
    Care to talk defense?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Care to talk defense?
    it certainly won't come anywhere near to making up for the huge difference in salary. Beltre is pretty much average as a 3b, not a gold glover.

it certainly won't come anywhere near to making up for the huge difference in salary. Beltre is pretty much average as a 3b, not a gold glover.
    By which metric?

By which metric?
    FP .960 RZR .700 FRAA -9

FP .960 RZR .700 FRAA -9
    Beltre is one of, if not the best defensive 3B in baseball.

Using THT RZR/Out of Zone plays and the Top 50 3B by innings here is what I am getting by running the numbers:
    Code:
    Last  		Total VAL
    Beltre 		31.52
    Jones C		19.92
    Rolen 		18.17
    Hannahan 	17.85
    Scutaro 	17.76
    Dewitt 		16.44
    Figgins 	14.80
    Rodriguez 	14.59
    Crede 		13.33
    Longoria 	10.08
    Zimmerman 	9.46
    Marte 		8.86
    Blum 		8.44
    LaRoche 	7.60
    Youkilis 	7.34
    Lowell 		5.74
    Wright 		5.37
    Wigginton 	5.08
    Inge 		4.69
    Bautista 	4.11
    Guillen 	3.41
    Uribe 		2.99
    Huff 		2.95
    Helms 		2.71
    Dobbs 		2.05
    Counsell 	1.51
    Aybar 		1.27
    Branyan 	0.42
    Blake 		0.41
    Hall 		-1.69
    Blalock 	-2.59
    Stewart 	-3.65
    Atkins 		-3.73
    Buscher 	-5.50
    Quinlan 	-5.60
    Vazquez 	-7.04
    Feliz 		-7.19
    Ramirez 	-8.47
    Kouzmanoff 	-9.33
    Aurilia 	-9.81
    Castillo 	-10.28
    Glaus 		-11.25
    Davis 		-13.00
    Lamb 		-15.16
    Blake 		-15.53
    Cantu 		-22.09
    Reynolds 	-23.25
    Gordon 		-24.47
    Mora 		-25.83
    Encarnacion 	-33.39

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Beltre is one of, if not the best defensive 3B in baseball.

Using THT RZR/Out of Zone plays and the Top 50 3B by innings here is what I am getting by running the numbers:
    Code:
    Last  		Total VAL
    Beltre 		31.52
    Encarnacion 	-33.39
    Well, that's quite a swing.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Turn Off Ads?