Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Futures game for Reds

Mini Futures game for Reds

ZEBULON - Carolina Mudcats owner Steve Bryant stood at the podium wearing his trademark red jacket. A Cincinnati Reds tie and Reds logos were splashed all over the team's clubhouse.

The Mudcats announced a two-year deal with the Reds, in a news conference held at Five County Stadium on Friday.

The Mudcats also announced the Reds would play a "mini-futures" game in Zebulon, pitting them against the farm system's top prospects in April.

"They didn't have to do that," said Bryant.

The Marlins, the Mudcats' previous affiliate, had last done that in 2003, when the two teams were first coupled.

The Reds had one of the top farm systems in the major leagues this year. Still, unlike the Marlins, who frequently promoted players directly from the Double-A Mudcats, the Reds never directly promoted a player from Double-A this season.

When asked about that, Terry Reynolds, the Reds' director of player development said: "I would think we'd be similar to that. We, over the last four or five years, have gotten better, and this year ... I think we moved nine guys through the system and [into] the big leagues at one time during the year. That'll slow down for sure. And as that slows down and we back some guys into Triple-A, at Louisville, then there'll be more players stay for longer times at the Double-A level. And I would see that probably starting next year. ... This team is going to have a bunch of guys on the way up."

The Reds' Triple-A affiliate is Louisville. The Bats play in the International League with the Durham Bulls.

Reynolds mentioned shortstop Todd Frazier and third baseman Juan Francisco as top prospects likely to be Mudcats next season.

Frazier hit .291 this year between the Sarasota Reds of the Class A Advanced Florida State League and the Dayton Dragons of the Class A Midwest League.

Francisco hit .277 with 23 home runs in Sarasota and was reported to have the best infield arm in the Reds' farm system by Baseball America magazine last November.

Reynolds spoke of a "whirlwind" process that began only days before the Mudcats' first meeting with the Reds last Friday in Zebulon.

There were few options for the Mudcats after the Los Angeles Dodgers made the first change in the Double-A Southern League.

Last week, the Dodgers left the Jacksonville Suns for the Chattanooga Lookouts, which had been affiliated with the Reds for 21 years. The Marlins then decided to expand their Florida footprint by signing with Jacksonville.

That left only two other possibilities for Carolina: the San Francisco Giants and the New York Yankees, both considering leaving affiliates in the Eastern League.

But Thursday, both teams said they would be staying: the Yankees with Trenton and the Giants with Connecticut.

"It's a flawed situation," Bryant said of the way teams change affiliations every year, noting only a few contracts come up in a given year.

Bryant said the Mudcats were lucky to have the Reds, which he called a "gold standard" franchise.

"Many Midwesterners have relocated to North Carolina over the years, including a large number of Buckeyes and a very strong Reds following," Mudcats general manager Joe Kremer said.

Bryant gave details of changes to Five County Stadium. The playing field will be replaced, as will the outfield wall. The new wall will change the dimensions in right field, making it 308 feet down the line instead of 330. And the wall in right will be nine feet tall instead of 24 feet, which it was in the past.

"If you have a good right fielder, he might steal a few [home runs]," Kremer said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mini Futures game for Reds

I cant state how excited I am by this move. I live in CH North Carolina, and only get to se eReds farm teams when they come to town-Lville in Durham, which is 15 mins from my house, and when the lookouts came to Zebulon. Both teams only have made one trip the last 2 years I think, so I havent seen much in person. I am already looking forward to next season, and warned my friends in Zebulon they will be seeing alot of me next summer.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Talk about changing how a ballpark plays. Its going from a 24 foot tall wall thats 330 feet away to a 9 foot tall wall thats 308 feet away. Lefties are going to put up some big HR numbers there.

This is an excellent idea. I've always wanted them to do this and play the game in Great American Ballpark. I wonder if kids like Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez will play in the game, or will it just be A, A+, AA, and AAA prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Talk about changing how a ballpark plays. Its going from a 24 foot tall wall thats 330 feet away to a 9 foot tall wall thats 308 feet away. Lefties are going to put up some big HR numbers there.
    Juan Francisco could hit 35+ bombs in that yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Juan Francisco could hit 35+ bombs in that yard.
    Ha, thats what I said over on my site.

I just hope the park doesn't lead to guys changing the way they go about the plate appearances. I don't want lefties getting pull happy because I could hit a HR there.

Hey Doug,
    Would this be a game that puts the Reds future stars against the
    big league club or Reds future stars against the Mudcats? I would hope
    it would be against the big club.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Hey Doug,
    Would this be a game that puts the Reds future stars against the
    big league club or Reds future stars against the Mudcats? I would hope
    it would be against the big club.
    The article doesn't specify, so who knows. I think I am going to email the guy who wrote the article for clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The article doesn't specify, so who knows. I think I am going to email the guy who wrote the article for clarification.
    Thanks!

Here is the response I got:

Sorry for the confusion; I thought the story was clear. The Reds will
    play a game against the top prospects in their farm system
    . I'm told
    it is scheduled for April 3. Apparently, this has been done before in
    Dayton.

Awesome

How long ago did they do this in Dayton? I know in 2007 the Reds played an exhibition game against the Florida Marlins and some of the Dragon players flew from ST with the big club and played in the game.

My futures line up would be as follows. Players are from Low A and above.

1.Stubbs CF
    2.Alonso DH
    3.Frazier 1B
    4.Francisco 3B
    5.Valaika SS
    6.Dorn LF
    7.Turner 2B
    8.Heisey RF
    9.Tatum C

Subs OF
    Henry;Cumberland;Griffin;Phipps

IF
    Parker;Soto;Cozart;Waring

C
    Denove
    Mesoraco

Code:
    RH Pitching             LH Pitching
    LeCure                   Jukich
    Manuel                   Viola                     
    Watson                   Wood
    Fisher                   Smit
    Buck                     Herrera*
    Bailey*                  Maloney*
    Thompson*                Pelland*
    Ramirez*                 Atkins*
    Roenicke*
    * = probably will be with the Reds

I hope they would do this in Louisville as well.

And I might add Lehr to that pitching list as a reliever.

Jon Adkins would be a right-handed pitcher, by the way.

Turn Off Ads?