Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini Futures game for Reds

Re: Mini Futures game for Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Bryant gave details of changes to Five County Stadium. The playing field will be replaced, as will the outfield wall. The new wall will change the dimensions in right field, making it 308 feet down the line instead of 330. And the wall in right will be nine feet tall instead of 24 feet, which it was in the past.

"If you have a good right fielder, he might steal a few [home runs]," Kremer said.
    I'm glad to hear that stadium will be getting a new field, but I'm not so sure I like the idea of a short porch only 308 feet down the right field line with a nine foot wall. Either bring the fences in and keep the tall wall or shorten the wall but keep the fences back, but both is a pretty drastic move.

That much being said, I would be interested to see the rest of the park's new dimensions. If the right field power alley is deeper than normal to help offset the short porch down the line then that'd certainly help.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

That has never been done in Dayton

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    That has never been done in Dayton
    The Reds and Marlins definitely played an exhibition game in Dayton. I haven't been able to find anything about which players played in this game, but here's a link talking about the game back when the game was announced:

http://www.daytondragons.com/pressbo...article_id=236

I also found some pictures of the game on someone's website, and there are players with really strange numbers (#89 and #90) playing second base and shortstop, so I'm assuming those are the future Dragons that flew up for the exhibition.
    Last edited by highheat11; 09-30-2008 at 06:39 PM.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

I know they had the exhibition, I worked it

I just don't remember many minor leaguers playing

Griffey, Gonzales, Conine, EE, Dunn and Hamilton all played to start the game

I found the box score on ESPN.com. It appears Chris Valaika, Heisey, Logan Parker, and Justin Turner all played in the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=270331117

I'm starting to wish I would've known about this back when it happened because it would've definitely been worth seeing those guys playing with other Major Leaguers after just one season in professional ball.

So did Juan Francisco and Denis Phipps. Miguel Cabrera hit a absolute bomb to left field that landed halfway across the players parking lot.

Carolina might be a futures game every day.

Heisey CF
    Valaika 2B
    Alonso 1B
    Frazier LF
    Francisco 3B
    Parker DH
    Eyman SS
    Perales ?? RF
    Long??? C

Wood
    J. Smith
    Smit
    Buck
    Viola??

Stewart??
    Valiquette??
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Carolina might be a futures game every day.

Henry CF
    Heisey RF
    Alonso 1B
    Frazier 3B
    Francisco DH
    Szymanski LF
    Eymann SS
    Turner 2B
    Rodriguez C

Wood
    J. Smith
    Smit
    Buck
    Viola??

Stewart??
    Valiquette??
    My guess is it will look more like this, w/ Valaika moving up.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by highheat11 View Post
    I found the box score on ESPN.com. It appears Chris Valaika, Heisey, Logan Parker, and Justin Turner all played in the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=270331117

I'm starting to wish I would've known about this back when it happened because it would've definitely been worth seeing those guys playing with other Major Leaguers after just one season in professional ball.
    Right some played in it. However this appears to be a slightly more interesting game and different. The current youthful Reds against their possible soon to be teammates. No Marlins involved.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Right some played in it. However this appears to be a slightly more interesting game and different. The current youthful Reds against their possible soon to be teammates. No Marlins involved.
    I agree, it might be worth making the trip down to Carolina to check it out. I just hope the actually opening day team is on the field rather than some guys looking to make the opening day roster playing against the rest of their minor league teammates. Otherwise it wont be much different than an intersquad game in ST.

It doesn't look like it's going to be a Futures type game.

From Mudcats News Release Comment on this story

Tickets for the Carolina Mudcats' April 3 exhibition game against their new major league parent club, the Cincinnati Reds, will go on sale at 9 a.m. Wednesday, the Mudcats announced Monday.

The game, which is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Five County Stadium in Zebulon, will pit the major league team and its Double-A Southern League affiliate.

Tickets will be available at the stadium box office or can be purchased by credit card via phone at 919-269-2287 or at www.carolinamudcats.com.

Ticket prices range from $12 for general admission to $20 for premium field level. A $2 discount is available for children and senior citizens. Groups of 25 or more also can receive a discount.

Redman, I got a different one from them, and it is a Reds futures all star team, see below. I called first thing this morning and got my tix, Sec 218, Row A. Anyone going?
    Subject: ** Cincinnati-Mudcats Major League Exhibition Game Tickets On Sale Wednesday**
    Zebulon, NC --- The Carolina Mudcats have announced that tickets for next April's major league exhibition game with its the new parent club Cincinnati Reds will go on sale this Wednesday, October 22 beginning at 9:00 AM ET.
    The game, which will be hosted at Five County Stadium on Friday, April 3rd at 6:00 PM ET, will be the premier event featuring the Reds as the Mudcats' new Double-A Southern League affiliate. The major league exhibition contest will have an air of uniqueness, with the Reds opposing their own minor league all-star Futures Team.
    Tickets can be purchased in a multitude of ways. Fans can order tickets using any major credit card via phone at (919) 269-2287. Fans can also purchase tickets online at www.carolinamudcats.com with a major credit card, along with on-site ticket orders at Five County Stadium using cash, checks or credit cards.
    Ticket prices will be $20 for Premium Field Level, $18 for Box Seats, $16 for Reserved Field Level and $12 for General Admission. The Mudcats will offer $2 discounts for children and senior citizens (excluding premium field level seating). Group discounts are also available for groups of 25 or more.
    For more information, contact the Mudcats' front office at (919) 269-2287 or www.carolinamudcats.com. The Mudcats open the 2009 Southern League season on Thursday, April 9th against the defending league champion Mississippi Braves at Trustmark Park.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    The major league exhibition contest will have an air of uniqueness, with the Reds opposing their own minor league all-star Futures Team.
    Sweet! And it should be one heck of an inuagaral season for the Carolina "Redlegs".

Let's see how about that games roster for the Futures team, name a 25 man whether they play or not? I'm gonna assume Dayton and above types sans maybe a Bucholz or Shunick. And probably made up of mostly guys who haven't been seen at the big league level.

Starting lineup:
    Drew Stubbs CF
    Chris Valaika SS
    Yonder Alonso 1B
    Todd Frazier RF
    Juan Francisco DH
    Neftali Soto 3B
    Danny Dorn LF
    Justin Turner 2B
    Craig Tatum C

Starting Pitcher: Maloney

BP:
    Roenicke
    Herrera
    Fisher
    Viola
    Manuel
    Stewart
    Watson
    Wood
    Buck

(Left out Pelland & Lotzkar due to current/recent injuries)

Bench:
    Mesoraco C
    Cozart SS
    Cumberland OF
    Henry OF/IF
    Bucholz IF
    Castillo UT

Also put Roenicke & Herrera in the BP because it makes more sense for them to pitch against the big leaguers than the opposite.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?