Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Blockbuster Offseason Slobber-Knocker

Re: My Blockbuster Offseason Slobber-Knocker

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    See that is the problem.....you have to give up something to get something.

If you're not willing to part with Bruce, Votto or Volquez, the Rockies won't take the likes of Homer Bailey. Thus you have to include Cueto in the deal.
    Krusty, you've been at this game long enough to know that people decide someone is a plus player, an asset, and once they do, they become untouchable.

Any deal you propose in which we give up marginally realized talent, much less actual talent will be met with replies just like this one.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Krusty, you've been at this game long enough to know that people decide someone is a plus player, an asset, and once they do, they become untouchable.

Any deal you propose in which we give up marginally realized talent, much less actual talent will be met with replies just like this one.
    Correct.

The expectation is that the Reds can wad up a pack of B-grade prospects and non-talent, and trade them for a superstar.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    wrong.

cueto and volquez are untouchable because they are really good pitchers and cheap.

votto and bruce are near untouchables because they are really good and cheap.

why would a small market rebuilding team trade away good cheap talent for good expensive talent?

Matt Holliday in a Reds uniform would make me physically ill. My loathing for Holliday knows no bounds, and I would count the days until he was either traded or left as a free agent.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Matt Holliday and Cash to Reds

Daryl Thompson, Matt Maloney, Josh Roenicke, Justin Turner, and Danial Dorn to Rockies
    That's too fluffy. I'm somewhere in between this and Krusty's proposal. I'd prefer to hang onto Phillips and Cueto. Instead I'd offer them Todd Frazier, Juan Francisco and their choice of Daryl Thompson or Homer Bailey for Holliday. If they balked at that I'd offer them Bronson Arroyo and their choice of Chris Valaika or Jeff Keppinger. My final offer would be Votto for Holliday and $10 MM. Then I'd use the $10 MM to find a 1B until Alonso is ready.

All this, of course, provided they can sign Holliday to a LTC.
    Go BLUE!!!

This is getting a bit surreal.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This is getting a bit surreal.
    Is it though? I would argue that Frazier, Thompson/Bailey, and Francisco is a significantly better return than what the Reds got for Dunn- who was also in a walk-year. Now obviously the pricetag would be higher in terms of talent if you acquired him before the season began, but I think the latter two offers (Arroyo+ and Votto) certainly reflect that.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Is it though? I would argue that Frazier, Thompson/Bailey, and Francisco is a significantly better return than what the Reds got for Dunn- who was also in a walk-year. Now obviously the pricetag would be higher in terms of talent if you acquired him before the season began, but I think the latter two offers (Arroyo+ and Votto) certainly reflect that.
    Dunn was in his walk month.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

For whatever its worth, I absolutely hate the word "slobber-knocker."

It sounds like something that should be the title of a badly written adult film.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Dunn was in his walk month.
    and all three of my offers were significantly more than Dunn fetched. Especially the latter two.
    Go BLUE!!!

and all three of my offers were significantly more than Dunn fetched. Especially the latter two.
    And they weren't good enough.

And they weren't good enough.
    Don't be so sure.

When we start talking about the Mariners, we'll give you a call. Until then, as you were.
    Go BLUE!!!

Don't be so sure.

When we start talking about the Mariners, we'll give you a call. Until then, as you were.
    Seriously, you need to ignore the Reds point of view and look at every trade you propose from the other guy's point of view.

For instance, the Rockies aren't going to pay 75% of Holliday's salary in a deal even if the commissioner's office would let them.

But ignore that....they've got a *little* problem at first base that I'm sure they'd like to clear up before getting another one.

Arroyo really isn't the type of arm they want for their rotation-especially at market rates. As for Fraizier, they might be mildly interested in him but I'm sure he's not on their short list of second baseman.

As for talking about the Mariners you're doing that in another thread.....

Don't be so sure.

Geez Beni, a bit harsh don't ya think?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I don't deal long term solutions for a 1 year rental. Creating holes in one or two spots to temporarily fill a hole in another spot seems like a good plan for going backwards. I probably wouldn't deal Cueto, Volquez, Votto or Bruce at all. If I did it would be Tulowitzki I'd want back to solve my long term problem at SS, not a one year rental.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?