Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: dream rh bat next year...

Re: dream rh bat next year...

The Reds would have to unload every prospect they had to acquire Albert. That still might not be enough.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Beltre would be a very nice addition.

Good splits between the parks I didn't realize they where this pronounced.

The defensive upgrade would be huge and would allow us some options. for 2010 and beyond, if we get him for next year and can add a 2 or 3 year extension at around $15 million, this would give us time to get Soto, Alonzo, and Frazier up from the minors.

Honestly what would it take to get him?
    Probaly EE and a prospect like Dorn.

but the ideal situation is throwing in Phillips, Bailey, Valakia and Owings and getting King Felix as well...
    Last edited by nemesis; 10-01-2008 at 05:10 PM.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    How's Albert an ugly fit? He can relate a lot to Bruce, about the huge expectations surrounding talent. Also the Reds have several Dominicans already playing for them.

Listening to Rome today and he is saying Manny might be available also..
    Well dude.

We're the Reds.
    First off.

Love the Reds, but Hall of Famers like Pujols don't leave baseball meccas like St. Louis to come play for 2nd rate franchises like the Reds.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Jenny Finch. Well, you said dream, you know.

I have said it before and I will say it again, why pay 15 mill on Beltre when EE is about as close a producer as Beltre is and is a lot cheaper. Go for an outfielder with pop.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    I have said it before and I will say it again, why pay 15 mill on Beltre when EE is about as close a producer as Beltre is and is a lot cheaper. Go for an outfielder with pop.

agree 100%.

Beltre is similar to Edwin
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    agree 100%.

Beltre is similar to Edwin

I agree.

Mitri tell me you are kidding Matt Kemp is a smaller faster right handed Adam Dunn, we don't like that type of player in this town, and his OPS just stinks.
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Because Beltre can give you the same production with his bat as an outfielder, while playing good defense at a premium position.

Also Beltre is only due 12 mil this season, and if Seattle blows some things up in the organization he should be able to be had for a fairly reasonable return cost with him being in a contract year. You find me one outfielder who can be had cheaper and deliver the same kind of improvement in 09 and I'll listen but I just can't see it.

EE is not the long term fix at third for this club IMO. I'm also not really in favor of dealing him because his bat has potential to be very good. So why not try him in left?

The problem with Beltre is his splits. He only hits LH. If you add somebody @ 13 million, it can't just be for defense, they have to be a presence in the middle of the lineup as well. Don't get me wrong, I love the defensive upgrade, but I care more about who's batting 3rd or cleanup, which makes him about 6th or 7th on my list of wants.

Look at it this way, if you add Beltre and move EE, how's your lineup going to go against RHP?

Dickerson
    ?
    Votto
    Bruce
    ?
    etc..

You can't put Beltre in either of those ?s. He was a .700 OPS hitter against RHP last year, and .780 the year before, so he's trending downward. EE's not much good against RHP, either. I mean you could fill the spots with those two, but it's far from ideal.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 10-02-2008 at 02:50 PM.

His carrer OPS vs. lefties is is .806 compraed to .780 vs righties. All of that difference is OBP since he actually has slugged better vs righties in his career. While last season's split was very large, he had a similar thing go on in 04 during his career season where he just destroyed righties.

He has shown ability to hit both righties and lefties in his career, and while he's not Matt Holliday who seems to prefer hitting against righties, the splits aren't bad. Having a guy who hits lefties good isn't a bad thing when ideally your pencilling him 4th between Votto and Bruce...

Quote Originally Posted by Hands22 View Post
    His carrer OPS vs. lefties is is .806 compraed to .780 vs righties.
    The three-year split is .900 vs .760.

It's hard to put his L/R splits, especially those for only a season or two, into context though. You can't say his ability to hit righties is declining because he put up worse numbers this year. Maybe he faced more righties at home or much tougher righties compared to lefties. All of the better pitchers in the other 3 AL West teams are right handed. The fact that he only had 11 PA's against Lee, Lester, Kazmir and CC this year (3 for 11, 3 singles) is more of a reason why the splits are large this season rather than talent. Stretching it over his career or over 5 years he has shown the ability to hit both righties and lefties, I don't see that suddenly changing.

And besides, he's a right handed hitter, he should hit lefties better. Say CC goes to the Dodgers next season. If we want to compete the odds are in the first round of the playoffs we're playing the Mets, Phillies, Dodgers or maybe the D-backs. 3 of those would have IMO, with no offense to Cliff Lee, the 3 most feared lefties in the majors. You want to face Hamels/Santana/CC in a short series relying on Bruce,Votto and EE?

So we want to compete next season... this topic is dream RH bat and while Pujols would be nice, I'm thinking of rh bats we could acquire to help us. We're trying to catch some lightning here while not giving away anything in our core. Beltre has shown the ability to hit very well away from Safeco, he's been a consistently good gloveman at third, and again he might be one of those guys who goes nuts in contract years.

So again I ask who's a better option? Would you rather stand pat and do nothing, or try to give up minimal assets to improve your team for next season. Instead of saying why Beltre wouldn't help, let us know what would help more than Beltre..

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    so it's the dream RH bat? I'll limit it to guys who played LF

Holliday
    Quentin
    Bay
    Braun
    It COULD have been Bay. We could have made a trade with Pittsburgh for him, they're idiots. Not with Boston though, they are smart enough to sign him long term.

Too bad! He's young, cheap, used to playing for crappy teams, etc... would have been a coupe. Now he's had a taste of a REAL Organization, why would he go to the Reds?

Holliday it is, and we're going to have to spend an ARM (pitching, prospects) and a LEG (long term contract, $100M+) to get him.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Hands22 View Post
    So again I ask who's a better option? Would you rather stand pat and do nothing, or try to give up minimal assets to improve your team for next season. Instead of saying why Beltre wouldn't help, let us know what would help more than Beltre..
    My thought is it's not enough. If we can't get a better bat than Beltre, I'd like to see the money to towards a pitcher. If you can't get that, then stick it in the bank for extensions down the road and play for 2010.

Turn Off Ads?