Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Band of the aughts?

Re: Band of the aughts?

Interesting question. The new stuff I tend to listen to are non-mainstream bands and singer/songwriters (or yet to be mainstream) who undoubtedly wouldn't fit in here.

That much being said, and this will probably draw some gasps from people who do not like their music, but I'd have to say that so far Linkin Park probably has to be considered somewhere.

I never thought Linkin Park would be anywhere as big as they've been, but they've been wildly popular with several albums this decade and also helped spawn a version of rock that has a little bit of hip hop mixed in it. Hybrid Theory is one of the few Diamond Albums that have been released since 2000 (10x platinum), and Meteora (4x platinum) was also a fine album. But the success combined with the new style of rock that includes a little bit of hip hop has taken off somewhat for them, and I can see hints of that new style in the last decade.

Of course, while I've never been to a Linkin Park concert, I've heard several people say they're rather disappointing as a live performance so that would probably drop some points there.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I'm not even a fan, but I think you're dismissing Coldplay too quickly. I think it's probable that that's the first band most people are going to remember or bring up when they talk about this decade.
    I thought of Coldplay, but it seems to me that they dropped off significantly after A Rush of Blood to the Head (in every respect -- musicality, popularity, etc.) And I don't see other bands overtly emulating them. I could be wrong on that though.

Linkin Park is an interesting example of how things have become fragmented. I know they're wildly popular with a certain group of people -- and apparently a lot of them -- but I can sit here and say that, as a person who follows music with some gusto, I'm not sure I've ever heard a Linkin Park song in my life. I certainly couldn't recognize one. But there are people who might be able to say that about Radiohead.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    But you can't go on taste, not if you hope to have an objective argument. Or you can...but that isn't what the question asked. There's a difference between who is most important and who is the best (usually).
    Who is best is all that matters. Otherwise you're arguing sales figures.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Very interesting, but I think there are no "great rock bands" anymore.
    I tend to agree, but for a nearly opposite reason. IMO, the culture's gotten so disposable that few bands dare or even aspire to greatness.

If anything I'd say the music industry is forcing more down our throats than in the past. They've got ubiquitous marketing, intel on buyers, highly segmented markets. It's an endless cycle of: "Here, eat this. Now eat this. And if you liked that, eat this." All consumption, no digestion.

I'd argue that in the past artists got anointed not because we were forced to listen to them, but because they made music that compelled people to listen to it again and again, music that still resonates decades later. The record companies may have given those artists a big push, but that's not why those bands endured. I actually think it's harder these days for a band to make a broad splash given the compressed product cycles and industry celebrity fixation.
    Last edited by M2; 10-01-2008 at 12:42 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Who is best is all that matters. Otherwise you're arguing sales figures.
    No, you're not. You're arguing a lot of things, a number of which I've stated in great detail. I have no idea where Radiohead stands in sales figures, and in terms of who is "best", I find them far more interesting the Silver Jews. "best" is taste and it's totally individual.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Very interesting, but I think there are no "great rock bands" anymore. That is not to say there isn't great music out there. On the contrary, I am happily finding more really good bands to listen to now than I ever have before. What's the difference? Well, back in the day, the music industry dictated much more clearly which bands we would listen to, whereas today they have much less control over our choices. It's a good thing, but I think it has ended the era when just a few bands would dominate the rock scene.
    I think you might, and I'm certainly a classic example where the great rock bands I listen to all peaked in the 90s and the new stuff I listen to tends to fly well under the radar.

The early to mid 90s is an interesting period where it may be the last time where the music industry saw several great bands in their peak who all turned out several outstanding albums. Off the top of my head ...

Metallica - Metallica (Black Album)
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Counting Crows - August & Everything After

Four bands, four albums, 43 million album copies sold, and a massive contingent of outstanding singles.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Linkin Park is an interesting example of how things have become fragmented. I know they're wildly popular with a certain group of people -- and apparently a lot of them -- but I can sit here and say that, as a person who follows music with some gusto, I'm not sure I've ever heard a Linkin Park song in my life. I certainly couldn't recognize one. But there are people who might be able to say that about Radiohead.
    I'm sure you have, but if you aren't familiar with their stuff then it'd be difficult to recognize. My guess is you've heard each of the following songs at some point, some of these songs probably several times because they've dominated modern rock radio the last eight years:

Papercut
    One Step Closer
    Crawling
    Runaway
    In the End
    Somewhere I Belong
    Faint
    Numb
    Breaking the Habit
    Lying From You
    What I've Done
    Shadow of the Day
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have returned to the top ever since Californication IMO...

I'm not even a fan, but I think you're dismissing Coldplay too quickly. I think it's probable that that's the first band most people are going to remember or bring up when they talk about this decade.
    Personal bias here, but I find it hard to believe most people will even remember they bought a Coldplay disc five years after they did it. There's no question the band sells. It charts #1 across the globe and packs every venue it plays. I just put them in the Def Leppard category, only people are buying downers instead of uppers these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    That much being said, and this will probably draw some gasps from people who do not like their music, but I'd have to say that so far Linkin Park probably has to be considered somewhere.
    My sister came up with what I still believe is the finest dis of a band in history in regard to Linkin Park: 'N Sync with guitars.

Like vaticanplum, I do a fair bit of listening and I couldn't pick a Linkin Park song out of a lineup. I've heard some Linkin Park, consider them a Limp Bizkit derivative, but nothing that's ever stuck. They seem to specialize in overwrought middle class teen angst, mastering that on-the-edge-about-nothing feeling.

I don't dispute that they're a popular band, but popular does not automatically convey greatness.

The Wiggles have dominated the decade at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    But I just don't think it's possible for any of them to reach the status of the rock bands from the 60's through the 80's. That money is going into manufacturing the next American Idol star instead.
    That was one of the points I was going to make. Part of me dies with each successive week that American Idol (and its ilk) are on tv drawing big viewing numbers. It's wrong on a variety of levels. I can't decide whether it's more damning that the American public is so dense that they think it's good entertainment, or that it's more damning that the TV folks can't come up with anything better to put on the tube.

We also now have a generation of people who know Ozzie Osbourne not from his musical career, but as the goofy & out-of-it dad from his TV show. Same thing with Run from Run DMC. Our generation knows him as a ground-breaking musician, but there's a whole new generation who knows him only as the dad on Run's House. The interest isn't so much in the music as it is in seeing the goofy/dysfunctional hijinks at casa de Ozzie, etc. "Entertainment" has been redefined.

Maybe it's not so much a band of the aughts as it is a specific performer. Though the timing doesn't quite line up cleanly with the decade beginning & end, I think guys like Eminem and Moby were there early in the time frame. Maybe now it's more of a Jay-Z / P Diddy / Kanye West type, if you're open to the possibility that hip-hop is to the aughts as rock was to the 60s-80s.

For me it was more of a progression - starting with the Who, then Led Zeppelin, then Pink Floyd, then the Ramones/Sex Pistols/Clash, then the Fall, then Sonic Youth, then Sebadoh/Dinosaur (jr.), then Nirvana. That was the end of the progression. For me, Nirvana ended the whole "important band" label by tearing apart the falseness of the need for Excess and the drive for "relevance" that drive the U2s, the Radioheads, etc of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Maybe now it's more of a Jay-Z / P Diddy / Kanye West type, if you're open to the possibility that hip-hop is to the aughts as rock was to the 60s-80s.
    I think a pretty strong argument could be made for both Jay-Z and Kanye West, probably more so Jay-Z. But then are we including all music or just rock?

Things have changed so much. The best selling album of 2007 was basically (neo?)classical. I don't think any one group or artist has the kind of lock on the public's attention that an 80's U2 or a Nirvana had.

And M2 if you want a modern day Def Leppard you need to look at Nickelback. Chris Martin personally offends and irritates me, but I'd still put Coldplay a notch above that.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    For me it was more of a progression - starting with the Who, then Led Zeppelin, then Pink Floyd, then the Ramones/Sex Pistols/Clash, then the Fall, then Sonic Youth, then Sebadoh/Dinosaur (jr.), then Nirvana. That was the end of the progression. For me, Nirvana ended the whole "important band" label by tearing apart the falseness of the need for Excess and the drive for "relevance" that drive the U2s, the Radioheads, etc of the world.
    Fair criticism, but there's got to be a place for artistic ambition to succeed. Kurt Cobain took a big shot with "Nevermind". He knew it had the potential to be more than just some small, idiosyncratic record that was going to appeal to the folks on the Sub Pop mailing list. Then he discovered success brings a certain amount of excess with it no matter how hard you try to stay pure. I imagine it made his ambition feel like excess too.

Artists by nature seek to advance what can be done in their medium. They aspire to greatness. That's true of artists from Garrincha to Gaudi. If greatness is out of the question, is the art form dead?

BTW, I'm glad someone mentioned Pink Floyd, glaring omission from my initial post in this thread.

And M2 if you want a modern day Def Leppard you need to look at Nickelback.
    I try to pretend that band doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My sister came up with what I still believe is the finest dis of a band in history in regard to Linkin Park: 'N Sync with guitars.

Like vaticanplum, I do a fair bit of listening and I couldn't pick a Linkin Park song out of a lineup. I've heard some Linkin Park, consider them a Limp Bizkit derivative, but nothing that's ever stuck. They seem to specialize in overwrought middle class teen angst, mastering that on-the-edge-about-nothing feeling.

I don't dispute that they're a popular band, but popular does not automatically convey greatness.
    My take on this subject is that there are two things that make a great rock band: 1) song-writing 2) musicianship. I see Linkin Park as being a Type 1 band who can write songs like a pop artist but don't play great music. Other bands, like Dragonforce, are Type 2 bands in that they can play the crap out of their guitars but could use a little help writing a song. A great band is one who can write great lyrics and hooks while playing tough and wonderful music. Therefore, the World's greatest band would be the one who are made up of great musicians who write creative and innovative music while catching your attention with beautiful lyrics and melodies...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Therefore, the World's greatest band would be the one who are made up of great musicians who write creative and innovative music while catching your attention with beautiful lyrics and melodies...
    Don't forget the shock and awe.

Turn Off Ads?