Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Band of the aughts?

Re: Band of the aughts?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Therefore, the World's greatest band would be the one who are made up of great musicians who write creative and innovative music while catching your attention with beautiful lyrics and melodies...
    Look no further than...

Queens Of The Stone Age

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I think there are maybe two bands who meet that in history. All the rest had some clunkers or their "classics" overlap too much against taste for it really to be a subjective argument.
    Every band has a "Magical Mystery Tour" or a "Rattle and Hum" in its catalog.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Look no further than...

Queens Of The Stone Age
    Good choice. Not quite the mass appeal of some of the bands mentioned, but an excellent example of a modern hard rock band. Smart lyrics, stunning musicianship, and fantastic songs.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I'd argue that O.A.R. is a DMB knockoff of substance prior to Stories of a Stranger. They don't have the mainstream appeal of DMB, but they successfully grew from a grassroots following without being propped up by a label. However, their last two albums are a departure of what made them popular. The temptation to make radio-friendly pop-rock does in another band...
    And they are from my neighborhood!

As to the band of the aughts, it's a shame that the music industry has gotten so AmericanIdoledhiphopped so that we can't even figure out the top contenders. I'm still listening to stuff I listened to 20 years ago with a few new additons once in awhile. I have no idea who the band of the aughts is, but I do know we need something/someone to jumpstart rock and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post

For all those former "rockers" who just can't get past 95 in their collection.. I urge you to get out and discover. I, like you, just lost taste for music about the year 2000. Lots of the new music then, sounded stale, cookie cutter, bland... To me anyway.. Its where and how I developed my love for techno. For a good 5 or 6 years its about all I listened too. It was fresh and exciting, something rock and roll wasn't, at least to me.
    I was with you there until the techno part. But then my techno experience is based upon living in Germany in the 80s.

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Do Korn, or tool belong in this discussion?

Personally I think they do.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    Do Korn, or tool belong in this discussion?

Personally I think they do.
    I think Tool merits discussion, though I much prefer A Perfect Circle. Korn? Meh. I'd rather talk Staind.

If we expand the discussion beyond rock, how about Outkast? Speakerboxx/The Love Below was great. The Love Below is one of my favorite albums of all time and I don't even like hip hop.

Outkast crossed my mind, but it's been five years since they put out a new record. They very well might have held the title during the first half of this decade.

Tool, while not my cup of tea, definitely belongs in the discussion. From what I understand, can't say for sure because I don't their stuff that well, Korn been slumping with its past few releases, no?

Another band that probably deserves a mention, but likely is past its heights, is Weezer. I'm sure that'll make a few heads explode. Weezer seems to have that effect on some people.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Heh, thanks!

I know what you're saying, although for me, it's more like 75 (heh!). However, I think the point that I'm making (and maybe FCB is making) is that if there is a "WORLD'S GREATEST ROCK BAND" out there right now, we wouldn't have to search to find it. It will have found us.
    I know what you mean, and I couldn't agree more. I guess thats not what I was trying to say.. I just see a lot of potential.. music is exciting again IMO, if you stick your nose in a crate and dig a little bit. I honestly couldn't feel I felt that way in long time. But I'm not trying to say there is def. a world's greatest rock band at the moment. I'd agree, that if there is one.. its still one of the legends from yesteryear. Floyd, Zep, the Stones.. The Beatles are back at the forefront with their "Love" exposure, if they even ever left.
    Last edited by cincyinco; 10-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Outkast crossed my mind, but it's been five years since they put out a new record. They very well might have held the title during the first half of this decade.

Tool, while not my cup of tea, definitely belongs in the discussion. From what I understand, can't say for sure because I don't their stuff that well, Korn been slumping with its past few releases, no?

Another band that probably deserves a mention, but likely is past its heights, is Weezer. I'm sure that'll make a few heads explode. Weezer seems to have that effect on some people.
    I'd agree. The newer stuff is more outwardly pop than the "Is it pop, ironic, or both?" Cuomo was all about early on. Still good music. Better than the vast majority of new music out today.

Tool rocks, but I don't think they are nearly mainstream enough. You can't even get their songs on iTunes...

Music these days is like going to the grocery store for Cheerios.

It used to be just plain Cheerios.

Now, you go look at the cereal aisle and there is honey nut, berry burst, yogurt burst, multigrain, fruity, frosty, little o, big o, breakfast bars with cheerios, cheerio classic, cheerios out the wazoo, blah blah blah, ad infinitum....

With so many options, your brain tharns over from all the choices.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Wouldn't this actually be around the 4th or 5th British invasion?

:shrug:

I dont know, you tell me.. please enlighten me... I dont think there's ever really been another like the Beatles, Kinks, Zep, Floyd, Who, etc. To me, I group them all together. There's been other UK bands that have been hits.. see u2, the Cure, radio head.. maybe you consider punk? i dont know.. But I dont know if theres every been another invasion.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    :shrug:

I dont know, you tell me.. please enlighten me... I dont think there's ever really been another like the Beatles, Kinks, Zep, Floyd, Who, etc. To me, I group them all together. There's been other UK bands that have been hits.. see u2, the Cure, radio head.. maybe you consider punk? i dont know.. But I dont know if theres every been another invasion.
    It's like a wave, it keep slapping on the shores.

Phase One : Beatles - Dave Clark Five - Hermans Hermits - The Hollies

Phase Two : Stones - Kinks - The Who - Cream

Phase Three Glam Era - Bolen - Bowie - Essexs

Phase Four Angry 3 minute Era - Sex Pistols - Elvis Costello - the Clash

Phase Five New Wave - The Fixx - The Cure- English Beat - The Specials

Phase Six The Manchester Sound - The Charletons UK - The Stone Roses - The Smiths - Oasis

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I think Tool merits discussion, though I much prefer A Perfect Circle. Korn? Meh. I'd rather talk Staind.

If we expand the discussion beyond rock, how about Outkast? Speakerboxx/The Love Below was great. The Love Below is one of my favorite albums of all time and I don't even like hip hop.
    I agree on A Perfect Circle, just don't know if that project has quite the same reach as tool at this point.

My thoughts on korn, while perhaps they don't quite have the requisite chops, were that they've been pretty influential (and I believe contemporary influence is an essential element). They started the Family Values Tour and have a sort of cross-genre reach that makes them somewhat difficult to pin down. I think M2 is right, though, that too much of their success is 'too' '90s for them to be highly considered as a "Band of the aughts". As bad as limp biskit is, korn pretty much brought them the attention they needed to break out. I think it could, further, be said that lb then provided a similar service to the aforementioned staind. So, that's more where I was coming from on korn. More about their aggregate influence on music than anything else really.

Turn Off Ads?