Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Band of the aughts?

Re: Band of the aughts?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    My 14-year-old cousin, who happens to be the author of the soon-to-be-breakout hit book, Joe Jonas is Amazing, would concur with you.
    My 15 yr. old daughter put the latest Jonas Bros. CD in car stereo and I said "I didn't know you liked Big Star". Those boys are pretty darn good.

I suffer from the Homer Simpson syndrome as well. We started having children and my Rob Gordon love of music got pushed aside.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My 15 yr. old daughter put the latest Jonas Bros. CD in car stereo and I said "I didn't know you liked Big Star".
    Children by the millions ...
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

The band's been around long enough for their influence to have circled around again musically...are there any DMB knockoffs of substance?
    I'd argue that O.A.R. is a DMB knockoff of substance prior to Stories of a Stranger. They don't have the mainstream appeal of DMB, but they successfully grew from a grassroots following without being propped up by a label. However, their last two albums are a departure of what made them popular. The temptation to make radio-friendly pop-rock does in another band...
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Children by the millions ...
    I'm in love.. what's that song?

Man Pills

No, you're not. You're arguing a lot of things, a number of which I've stated in great detail. I have no idea where Radiohead stands in sales figures, and in terms of who is "best", I find them far more interesting the Silver Jews. "best" is taste and it's totally individual.
    It really is a sales figure discussion though. What all of these bands have in common--bands labeled as "bands of the decade"--is enormous sales figures. Without those sales figures, you don't end up in the discussion of "bands of the decade." Once you've passed that benchmark of sales, it becomes a nebulous discussion of "influence" (which by the way is seldom felt till years later, if ever). So what next? Exposure in various media? I don't know.

My criterion? And unbroken string of classics over a 10 year period.

On a separate note, whoever it was that said there won't be a "band of the aughts" because there's no longer record label hegemony is pretty well dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Or you guys are getting old!
    I remember when this album was released....

"panic" only comes from having real expectations

I think we can all agree that Good Charlotte is not in the running. Really, that's all that's necessary.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This is what I'm saying.

I'd just add that a "band of the decade" also puts on legendary concerts. I mean, isn't playing kick ass live shows what "rock" is all about?

If not, what is it?

Alan Parsons?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    This is what I'm saying.

I'd just add that a "band of the decade" also puts on legendary concerts. I mean, isn't playing kick ass live shows what "rock" is all about?

If not, what is it?

Alan Parsons?
    A startlingly high number of things boil down to Alan Parsons and his Project.

I'm personally biased because Linkin Park would be my favorite band, but they have sold millions upon millions of albums. Although they might not be everyone's favorite band. I know almost everyone (my age at least) knows several of their songs word for word. At least it seems that way at least. Even one of my co workers has some of the CDs playing throughout the day, and he's into his early 30s.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

You know something funny... I hadn't read the rest of this thread since I posted last, and while reading I thought to myself "what about Alan parsons?"

Excellent call nate! Legendary.

As for the direction music seems to be taking today? The new "rock" if you will? I think we are seeing s move to an electronic(ie "techno") sound that is merging with rock. Electronica is invading our everday lives more and more... From clubs to TV commercials to more mainstream music. And I don't mean cheesey 80's synth stuff. Bands like Lincoln park- who I'm not a fan of btw - and in particular incubus have a turntablist as part of the core of their music. Bands such as your Vegas and the killers are pushing an electronica backed sound. Maybe its my background as a DJ, a mixologist if you will, but I see electronic music everywhere more and more. Hate it or love it, I don't care, but I guarantee you, most of us here the genre of electronica at least once a day if not more. And its crossing over into mainstream rock. Shoot, even the opening parade of the Greece Olympics featured DJ Tiesto playing the whole time, the first time a DJ had ever done so.. 4 hours of blisstering beats!.

I also feel there is a 2nd british invasion on the horizon. Snow patrol, the kooks, keane, bloc party, etc are high on my list right now and have been for some time. Of course, radiohead would probably be listed as an influence for almost all of the above.. But they're all unique in their own right.

For all those former "rockers" who just can't get past 95 in their collection.. I urge you to get out and discover. I, like you, just lost taste for music about the year 2000. Lots of the new music then, sounded stale, cookie cutter, bland... To me anyway.. Its where and how I developed my love for techno. For a good 5 or 6 years its about all I listened too. It was fresh and exciting, something rock and roll wasn't, at least to me.

Not sure what got me to go back, but I've found there to be some awesome new bands out there, some that have really given me hope about music again.. Bands I feel excited about...like I did when I was a teenager... I can't say I agree with everyone's suggestions on here(wilcos? Really? I don't get the love..that's not to say I don't respect others tastes.. One of the best threads on here is " what are you listening too"), but its great to be enthused about music again, especially rock.. My roots.. Because I thought I'd lost that love forever.. I hope this thread inspires some to dig in some crates for those new tunes.. This audiophile has found his again, and I gotta say... Damn it feels good.
    Last edited by cincyinco; 10-02-2008 at 06:15 AM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    You know something funny... I hadn't read the rest of this thread since I posted last, and while reading I thought to myself "what about Alan parsons?"

Excellent call nate! Legendary.
    Heh, thanks!

For all those former "rockers" who just can't get past 95 in their collection.. I urge you to get out and discover. I, like you, just lost taste for music about the year 2000. Lots of the new music then, sounded stale, cookie cutter, bland... To me anyway.. Its where and how I developed my love for techno. For a good 5 or 6 years its about all I listened too. It was fresh and exciting, something rock and roll wasn't, at least to me.
    I know what you're saying, although for me, it's more like 75 (heh!). However, I think the point that I'm making (and maybe FCB is making) is that if there is a "WORLD'S GREATEST ROCK BAND" out there right now, we wouldn't have to search to find it. It will have found us.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I also feel there is a 2nd british invasion on the horizon. .

Wouldn't this actually be around the 4th or 5th British invasion?

linkin park couldn't carry POD's jock.

That said, The Cure was vastly underrated. Disintigration is the greatest album ever. (South Park reference. )

Sarah McLachlan has been quietly very influential. She was also one of the first artists I played as a dj in college. Touch is a great cd.

DMB makes me want to wretch. violently.

I'm a huge Beck fan too.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think there are maybe two bands who meet that in history. All the rest had some clunkers or their "classics" overlap too much against taste for it really to be a subjective argument.

My impression is that when we're talking about a band in a specific time frame, the time and environment must be considered, and that, for better or worse, involves more than just music (even though the music is by far the most important thing).
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?