Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marvin out?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marvin out?

Too bad that decision is not who they should HIRE as a GM...

or that Mike Brown was selling the team to someone who actually cared about how the team does more than does it sell seats...

or that he was firing all of the Brown family members from the front office...

those would be real changes that might actually do something to help this pathetic organization

I expect palmer to IR soon after as well.

hire a gm mikey you fool.

if it wasnt for being born to paul brown, mikey wouldn't have come within 10000000 miles of an nfl franchise

Who knows if its true, but if I had my choice, Zimmer would be next man in right now. He seems to be a no-nonsense type. I don't believe firing Marvin is what will fix the franchise at all, I'm just saying if its going to happen, Zimmer is who I would pick to fill the position for now.

I feel bad for Marvin. I think he can be a good head coach, but I no one, and I mean NO ONE can succeed under Mike Brown.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

If Marvin's out, good for him.

He'll go onto greener pastures.

Retired

Firing him now would be pointless, this season is over. Might as well let Marvin finish it out and see who is available in the offseason.

If Brown was smart, which he isn't, he'd hired a GM and do everything in his power to get Bill Cohwer. If you have to overpay, then overpay. Of course none of this will happen, it's Mike Brown we are talking about here.

Never thought I'd say it after suffering through the 90's and remaining a fan but I'm about done with the Bengals. I have a six month old son, and I'm seriously wondering why I'd want to inflict this on him.

I live in Columbus where there are about four other pro teams within a four hour drive, and it might be about time to jump on one of those bandwagons. I don't know. Last thing I ever thought I'd be would be a "bandwagon" fan, but it's been 13 years for the Reds, and the Bengals have had one winning season since 1990, and I just feel sick of it all. There's absolutely no way I could ever give up on the Reds, maybe partially because there's always still something to enjoy about baseball, even when you follow a losing team, but that's not really true of pro football. A 3-13 season is pretty miserable, all the way around.

Firing Marvin Lewis wouldn't fix anything. The guy has his faults, but he'd be a perfectly adequate coach for a franchise with a clue. I guess the Bengals might pull a 2005 out of the air every 20 years or so, but I can't see them ever being a consistent winner as long as Mike Brown is the owner. I like the NFL too much for the Bengals to keep ruining it for me. I'll see how things shake out for the rest of this year with coaching changes or whatever, but I'm pretty close to done with them. I can't be alone.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Who knows if its true, but if I had my choice, Zimmer would be next man in right now. He seems to be a no-nonsense type. I don't believe firing Marvin is what will fix the franchise at all, I'm just saying if its going to happen, Zimmer is who I would pick to fill the position for now.
    You mean HE'D get rid of someone like Chris Henry? Oh, wait. Marvin stuck his neck out, after Mikey decided to cut him. Then Brown made him look like a fool, and cut Marvin's legs out from under him and signed him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Firing him now would be pointless, this season is over. Might as well let Marvin finish it out and see who is available in the offseason.

If Brown was smart, which he isn't, he'd hired a GM and do everything in his power to get Bill Cohwer. If you have to overpay, then overpay. Of course none of this will happen, it's Mike Brown we are talking about here.
    The problem isn't that Mike Brown lacks intelligence. It's quite the opposite.

Be it now or January, Marvin Lewis will be fired. And Ol' SOP will do just enough to make the bulk of the fan base buy into his actions. He'll make just enough concessions. He may even hire a lame duck GM to appease. He knows he has to do that to keep butts in the seats, the beer taps flowing, and jerseys selling.

The NFL is changing. It's evolving from an effortless cash cow to a business where you have to spend money to make money. He'll make sure they're just barely good enough to make a ton of cash.
    Last edited by guttle11; 09-30-2008 at 10:21 PM.

You're not alone Redsfaithful. I also thought I'd never even entertain the idea of abandoning one of the teams I follow, but I've given it serious consideration over the past couple of seasons for the reasons you mention. I just have such contempt for Mike Brown that I don't want to root for his team. I don't if I'll truly be able to abandon them, but I'm really at that point. Living here in Minnesota, I've got another team to root for at least and I'm a big Adrian Peterson fan.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    .....I'm a big Adrian Peterson fan.
    Well, in all honesty, is that such a tough thing?

I'm no big fan of Marvin's but it seems like Mike has always been the doggy doo that you can never quite get off of your shoe. After awhile there's the thought of simply throwing the shoes away just to get rid of the stink.

Rem

Rather than jump on some other bandwagon, I've become a much more "fairweather" fan. I can't imagine rooting for another team, but I just can't get emotional about the Bengals anymore. I think maybe when Mike Brown finally relinquishes control of the team I might get excited about NFL football again, but until then, I might put the game on for background noise while I fold laundry or something, but I'm not going to invest my time, effort, or money into supporting the Bengals.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    You mean HE'D get rid of someone like Chris Henry? Oh, wait. Marvin stuck his neck out, after Mikey decided to cut him. Then Brown made him look like a fool, and cut Marvin's legs out from under him and signed him back.

as soon as that happened i knew marvin and the team were done.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Turn Off Ads?