Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marvin out?

Re: Marvin out?

Lewis is probably going to throw a party when he is let go.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Rather than jump on some other bandwagon, I've become a much more "fairweather" fan. I can't imagine rooting for another team, but I just can't get emotional about the Bengals anymore. I think maybe when Mike Brown finally relinquishes control of the team I might get excited about NFL football again, but until then, I might put the game on for background noise while I fold laundry or something, but I'm not going to invest my time, effort, or money into supporting the Bengals.
    I am in the same boat. I can't muster up anything but amusement for the Bengals anymore.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I am in the same boat. I can't muster up anything but amusement for the Bengals anymore.

GL
    Yep, this season thus far I've done a whole lot of laughing while watching this team. The lines on both sides of the ball are about as bad as they can be.

I do feel bad for Palmer though. Heck of a quarterback and a heck of a guy, but he's stuck in an awful situation. He's got talent for receivers (always has), but at least a few years ago he had a line in front of him that was able to protect him and generate a solid running game. Now the line stinks; they can't protect him, and they can't generate any running game.

And the defense, well the defense has never really done anyone any favors since I can remember.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I also thought I'd never even entertain the idea of abandoning one of the teams I follow, but I've given it serious consideration over the past couple of seasons for the reasons you mention. I just have such contempt for Mike Brown that I don't want to root for his team. I don't if I'll truly be able to abandon them, but I'm really at that point.
    Yep, me too. I got fooled by the 2004-05 resurgence and got on the season ticket mailing list. Got tickets this season. It's been an unmitigated waste of money, and it will be my last.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    You're not alone Redsfaithful. I also thought I'd never even entertain the idea of abandoning one of the teams I follow, but I've given it serious consideration over the past couple of seasons for the reasons you mention.
    I got lucky. The Titans came to town and gave me an opportunity to drop the Bengals as my favorite team.

I believe I'll always have a soft spot for them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    You mean HE'D get rid of someone like Chris Henry? Oh, wait. Marvin stuck his neck out, after Mikey decided to cut him. Then Brown made him look like a fool, and cut Marvin's legs out from under him and signed him back.
    His ability to get players to follow a set of rules and his being able to cut players are two different things. Seeing as he would be a interim coach for now, it is highly doubtful that he would be able to make many decisions as far as the roster is concerned. His main job would be to deal with the players he already has. Out of the likely candidates for interim head coach, Zimmer would be my choice because he seems to demand respect and discipline from his players, IMO.

Hoping a coach can change this franchise is absolutely pointless. I have no idea what it would take for that to possibly happen. For now, I will hope for the best in a bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I got lucky. The Titans came to town and gave me an opportunity to drop the Bengals as my favorite team.

I believe I'll always have a soft spot for them, though.
    I wish I could drop the Bengals for the Titans. I actually live closer to Nashville than I do to Cincinnati.

I was in attendance at the first game ever played at the Titans stadium in 1999. It just so happened to be against the Bengals (poetic justice). Fed up with the Bengals, I had decided to drop them after 24 years and become a Titans fan. But when the game came down to the final moments and the Bengals had a shot to win, I got butterflies in my stomach hoping they could pull it out, and then realized that trying to divorce myself from this awful franchise was impossible.

I continued to root for the Titans throughout that 13-3 Super Bowl season, but could never muster up the necessary enthusiasm for the franchise to be considered a "fan". I like them, but it's not the same.

Like some of you, though, I have pulled away from the Bengals. I vowed to stop watching after Week 2 this year, the earliest I have ever done that.

I'm not all that impressed with Marvin.

A coach who can't keep his players in check is a poor coach.

And aside from the Bengals' one playoff appearance, has he really done anything to turn the franchise around? He can't muster a defense to save his life.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm not all that impressed with Marvin.

A coach who can't keep his players in check is a poor coach.

And aside from the Bengals' one playoff appearance, has he really done anything to turn the franchise around? He can't muster a defense to save his life.
    Jeff Fisher is considered one of the best coaches in the game, yet he couldn't keep Pacman in check. Tom Coughlin is a super bowl winning coach yet cant keep Plaxico Burress in check.

The list is long and distinguished of coaches who can't keep their players in check. The Bengals because of one season continue to come under intense scrutiny. As a matter of fact there was an article written earlier this year about the legal troubles that the Jaguars have had, that they have become the worst in the league, yet it escapes the headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    And aside from the Bengals' one playoff appearance, has he really done anything to turn the franchise around?
    Yes. The rest of the country might see his 8-8s and see mediocrity, but that's a pretty big difference from the 90s and early 00's. The Bengals went 3-13 four times in the 90's, 4-12 twice, 5-11 once, 6-10 once, and 2-14 once between 1991 and 2002.

Usually being in the playoff race until the last few weeks of the year? A .500 team in general? A division title? That's turned around in my book when you're talking about the worst professional franchise in all of sports.

Marvin does do some stupid things, and I don't want to defend him too much, but I think if you throw him down in another city with an owner who has a clue and he'd probably be in the playoffs most years. He's done about all he can with Mike Brown at the helm, but Brown wore him down into patheticness, just like he does everyone else who comes to Cincinnati.

Maybe Mike Zimmer will be the answer. But I doubt it, because Mike Brown will still own the team.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Jeff Fisher is considered one of the best coaches in the game, yet he couldn't keep Pacman in check. Tom Coughlin is a super bowl winning coach yet cant keep Plaxico Burress in check.

The list is long and distinguished of coaches who can't keep their players in check. The Bengals because of one season continue to come under intense scrutiny. As a matter of fact there was an article written earlier this year about the legal troubles that the Jaguars have had, that they have become the worst in the league, yet it escapes the headlines.
    I see your point but I believe there's a difference here. Coaches can't hand-hold individual players that constantly get into trouble. I tend to put more responsibility on the coach when there's a culture of lawlessness among a group of players.

Jones just wanted to live like he was still in the hood. He was arrested more than once between draft day and training camp. At some point these kids have got to realize they've been given a chance to earn millions of dollars and create a great life for their future generations.

I love Marvin Lewis. He was the first coach in DECADES to come in and give this franchise legitimate hope. I wish him nothing but the best down the road. Save yourself, Marvin. Get the hell out now while you still can.

I never thought I'd see the day where I was so unemotional towards any of my teams. But I don't even care when the Bengals lose anymore. It's a laughing matter to me. They are a disgrace, they are an embarrassment, and they don't deserve my attention.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's amusing to look at the Bengals as a non-fan but living in Cincinnati and seeing the constant coverage and most of the games.

The problem with team is (and always really has been) an inability to identify and acquire players on the offensive line and defensive line. Since I've followed the franchise, they've had horrific interior men playing on both sides of the ball. They lack the ability to find and develop those kinds of players.

The reason, I'd wager, is their stubborn refusal to expand their scouting department. Good talent can come from anywhere, you just have to pay people to watch tape and attend games to go find it. The New England Patriots are starting a right guard, Nick Kaczur, that played at the University of Toledo (not known as a football powerhouse or a powerhouse conference) when I was there for law school. They had people scouting him, in person, at games I attended a year prior to the draft. The Buccaneers pulled a guy from the Arena league to play d-line for them, and got a 10-sack guy in Greg White. The Dallas Cowboys have a pro-bowl QB that didn't even play D1 ball. Good scouts found, identified, and convinced their teams to draft or sign each of these players.

The Bengals have the worst scouting department in professional football, and it shows itself on the positions that are the most difficult to draft and develop.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Bengals have the worst scouting department in professional sports, and it shows itself on the positions that are the most difficult to draft and develop.
    fify

I just got asked by a relative if I wanted to use one of his tickets for a couple games this year. For the first time in thirty years, my reaction was complete disinterest. The Bengals are hopeless, I have given up on them utterly. Marvin stays, Marvin goes, they hire Condi Rice to be head coach next year; it makes no difference.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?