Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America's first 2009 mock draft

Baseball America's first 2009 mock draft

Baseball America revealed their first 2009 mock draft today and they have the Reds selecting RHP Aaron Crow with the eighth overall pick. They said the Reds considered him this past June but chose Yonder Alonso instead. They have Strasburg and Grant Green going one and two overall.

I would have no problem with Aaron Crow at #8. He's polished and would probably reach the majors within a couple years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball America's first 2009 mock draft

I am still worried about his arm. Those mechanics are bad.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

If Crow pitches well for Fort Worth before the draft, he'll go higher than #8, I think.

How long is that independent leagues season? Id like to see how many innings those guys throw a year.

noooooooo thanks. i'd take the top ss available. that's ALOT more of a need.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Baseball America revealed their first 2009 mock draft today and they have the Reds selecting RHP Aaron Crow with the eighth overall pick. They said the Reds considered him this past June but chose Yonder Alonso instead. They have Strasburg and Grant Green going one and two overall.

I would have no problem with Aaron Crow at #8. He's polished and would probably reach the majors within a couple years.
    I suppose he would be a better pick this coming draft than last. However he does still worry me also. Obviously we would all love for Grant Green to fall to us but that ain't happening. Based on their projections I would give Kendall Volz (RHP) out of Baylor a look see instead, and hope Tyler Matzek (HS LHP) or Donavan Tate (HS OF) falls to us.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    noooooooo thanks. i'd take the top ss available. that's ALOT more of a need.
    I don't know who that might be. I know Ryan Jackson of Miami has the defensive pedigree but ain't much of a hitter, only batted .215 in the Cape Cod league in '07. That's not a real good sign for the bigs.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Here's a free top 10 for those who wanna start checking it out. Also a bit of a scouting report on each + video.

http://www.mlb-draft.com/Top-Prospects-2009.php

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I suppose he would be a better pick this coming draft than last. However he does still worry me also. Obviously we would all love for Grant Green to fall to us but that ain't happening. Based on their projections I would give Kendall Volz (RHP) out of Baylor a look see instead, and hope Tyler Matzek (HS LHP) or Donavan Tate (HS OF) falls to us.
    On 2nd thought I may have just found my favorite pick if he doesn't go to college, if we take him 9th overall I don't know how he couldn't go pro.

http://www.saberscouting.com/2009draftindex/

Austin Maddox - C

School & Hometown: Eagle’s View Academy; Jacksonville, FL
    Specs: 6′4, 220, Bats R, Throws R
    Skinny: Elite catching prospect showcases a plus-plus arm behind the plate and massive power with the stick belied by a durable frame and advanced hitting and receiving skills. Florida commit.

I’ve talked about Maddox a few times on the site, both in the 2009 draft preview on the podcast (near the end) and in a review of the Sarasota Classic. I’ve been able to see Maddox a handful of times during his junior season, including seeing his team win the state championship in Sarasota, and he brings his full toolbox to the yard every time out. I also have some video I’ll post soon.

Maddox’s stance (check the above picture for an idea) and swing are reminiscent of Mark McGwire due to his powerful, leveraged, yet compact right-handed stroke with serious bat speed. Maddox just squares balls up, hitting over .500 this year against top competition, and has flashed his plus-plus raw power in every game I’ve seen him play. The scouting community, who largely ignore juniors during the regular season, saw this power when Maddox hit multiple homers over 400 feet with wood bats in recent national showcases.

That being said, Maddox is the top position player on this list because of his defensive tools. He consistently uses his plus-plus howitzer to register pop times under 1.85 and has been under 1.80, while hitting 95 on the mound. He also has what I, and a few scouts I’ve talked to, feel is already big league average receiving and blocking skills. Maddox is also a hard worker that gets high marks for his makeup; he’s committed to Florida.

The only real question with Maddox is if his already extra-large frame will be able to stay agile enough to remain behind the plate. Some may knock his team’s schedule, as they are in the smallest classification (1A) in the state and play some cream puff teams, but intentionally schedule almost every other game against top competition, and Maddox is a showcase veteran that can hit with wood. A scout familiar with Maddox sums it up: “We have him as a top follow and I see a Mike Piazza package, except with a cannon behind the plate.”
    More from SS on Maddox:
    The other top 2009 draft prospect in Sarasota was catcher Austin Maddox from Jacksonville’s Eagle’s View Academy. Maddox had even more buzz entering the tournament, as the same scouting service had him as the 3rd best prep player in state and 8th in the country. Maddox oozes tools from behind the plate with a mature 6′3, 220 pound frame. He’s been up to 96 on the mound, consistently has pop times under 1.90 (2.00 is MLB average), is extremely athletic and active behind the plate, has near flawless technique and hands, and is a vocal leader and excellent teammate with great makeup. I haven’t even gotten to the bat, which is the most special part of this package. He has elite bat speed, a compact power stroke reminiscent of Mark McGwire, and has hit balls over 400 feet with wood all while batting over .500 facing one of the toughest schedules in the state of Florida. Now you can see why I’m not scared to say he may be the best prep catcher since Joe Mauer.

One team official said he’s an easy top 10 overall prospect for the 2009 draft right now and likened him to Mike Piazza with a plus-plus arm. So prospect watchers looking for the next great catching prospect to follow Matt Wieters appear to have their wish with California HS catcher Kyle Skipworth this year and Maddox next year.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 10-09-2008 at 05:30 PM.

--Woody Hayes

I'm not a big fan on drafting "need" in the 1st round. I think you select the best talent and let it play out. That's why I wasn't a big fan of the Mesoraco pick. The Reds may or may not have their SS of the future in the minors right now... who knows? So I would be more than fine with drafting Crow next season. Like OBM said, he's maybe a year to a year and a half away from the bigs. If he's not there, trust your scouts and take the best player available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't know who that might be. I know Ryan Jackson of Miami has the defensive pedigree but ain't much of a hitter, only batted .215 in the Cape Cod league in '07. That's not a real good sign for the bigs.
    Ryan Jackson, Mychal Givens, Robbie Shields,....

my point is that i could live with it if we took a ss a few picks earlier than projected but we really need to start to address the question of what the future will be at shortstop. imo shortstops are just like pitchers in that you can never have too many because they tend to be the most athletic players so if they don't stick at short they could always be moved almost anywhere else: 2nd (brandon phillips), outfield (eric davis, reggie sanders)...

if you have a defensively challenged leftfielder where do you move him to? (besides arizona)

i know that all of the positions are important but we already have some possible future options for the leftfield, centerfield, etc. my biggest hope is that we acquire some ss prospects via the draft and/or trade so we don't have the same problem 5 years from now.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 10-09-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Ryan Jackson, Mychal Givens, Robbie Shields,....

my point is that i could live with it if we took a ss a few picks earlier than projected but we really need to start to address the question of what the future will be at shortstop. imo shortstops are just like pitchers in that you can never have too many because they tend to be the most athletic players so if they don't stick at short they could always be moved almost anywhere else: 2nd (brandon phillips), outfield (eric davis, reggie sanders)...

if you have a defensively challenged leftfielder where do you move him to? (besides arizona)

i know that all of the positions are important but we already have some possible future options for the leftfield, centerfield, etc. my biggest hope is that we acquire some ss prospects via the draft and/or trade so we don't have the same problem 5 years from now.
    I understand your point but none of those you listed merit being taken anywhere pick #9. Of the prep prospects maybe you pick up a guy lick David Nick in the Sandwich rd or 2nd-3rd (a poor man's JJ Hardy?). But I doubt any of those others even go in the 1st, at least they don't seem to warrant it.

Here's a possibility as a draft eligible sophomore. D.J. LeMahieu SS LSU seems to at least have the potential to be a complete SS and is ranked just behind Jackson but ahead of the others you listed by BA. His bat seems like it could be better than any of those guys and defense could be just as good based on a little forum reading I've been doing but those guys are homers. Anybody have any info on this kid?

This on LeMahieu:
    LeMahieu, DJ
    Position: SS/3B
    Bats/Throws: R/R
    Ht/Wt: 6′4/190
    Born: 7/13/1988
    School: LSU
    Class of: 2011
    Draft Eligible: 2009
    Seen By BB: Yes

2008 Stats:
    CCBL: 107 AB, .290/.358/.364, 1 HR, 3-5 SB-ATT
    NCAA: 258 AB, .337/.386/.457, 6 HR, 10-11 SB-ATT

Summary:
    Lemahieu, a draft eligible sophomore for the 2009 draft, was heavily recruited coming out of Michigan as a 2 time Gatorade Player of the Year. He plays solid defense at short, but a move to third is likely at some point due to his size. His arm plays anywhere on the field. He has a solid approach at the plate and will go the ther way. There is potential for more power to develop.

Honors/Achievements:
    2008 Ranked the #6 Prospect in the CCBL by Baseball America
    2008 All-Louisiana College Baseball Freshman of the Year
    This irks me when they say a guy has to move because of his size? Can he play the spot or not? And if so then why pigeon hole him based strictly on his size. From what I gathered he has what's necc. to play the position including range. But LSU should be on quite often so he should be one of note to keep an eye out for.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 10-09-2008 at 07:39 PM.

--Woody Hayes

i also don't think they should reach for players. it's just that imo shortstop should be one of the positions that they concentrate on whether it's through the draft or trades. that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Where did Kentrail Davis go in the mock draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Where did Kentrail Davis go in the mock draft?
    They only had top 10 and he wasn't in it.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?