Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would it take to get David Wright?

What would it take to get David Wright?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...urn=mlb,111766

Article says Mets should be open to trading for the right price. So what is the right price? What do the Mets need?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would it take to get David Wright?

They would ask just as much for Wright as the Cards would ask for Pujols. This would take an arm and a leg. I think trade rumors said they had no intentions of moving the trio of Wright, Reyes, or Beltran?
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

We have plenty of corner guys in our organization and although they may not be the caliber of Wright yet and may never be I would much rather stand put and get improvement up the middle.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I brought this idea up in another thread. It sure wouldn't hurt to inquire. The Mets should be ready to do something dramatic/desperate to shake things up. I would start with a package including Cordero, EE, middle reliever, Arroyo.

The Mets would be stupid to trade Wright. We would have to look at the fact that if we got him, would we have to trade away too much talent that could help us win next year. I am all for trading certain prospects, but if packages include 3 or more guys who could help us win more than one David Wright, I would be against it.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

As much as I love Edwin, I'm sure he would go a long way towards securing Wright. Toss in something like Phillips and Thompson, and I could see it a possibility.

Resident PED Expert

EE and Phillips would be locks. Replacing Wright w / EE and Phillips replacing Castillo would be a huge upgrade. Man, Reyes, Beltran and Phillips up the middle would be sick. I think they would want at least 1 ML ready starter and probaly Burton.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

The article says that they need to think about it. Its one writers opinion. This is as far fetched (Wright coming to Cincinnati) as it is saying Pujols would ever be a Red.

Wright would be the perfect type of RH bat we need. But we need to focus on holiday.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

EE, Phillips, Cordero, and Bailey for Wright. I might even throw in Thompson.

Mets get quality starters at 2B and 3B (yes, a step down from Wright), a needed closer (their bullpen stinks), and 2 future major league starters including one, a former first round draft choice.

Wright plays 3B. Keppinger plays 2B. Burton becomes the closer. Reds free up another $17+ million in payroll by dumping Cordero and Phillips. Puts team payroll at about $43 million after arbitration hearings. Sign either Vlad Guerrero or ManRam in free agency if they can't steal Magglio Ordonez from the Tigers in a salary dump. Strong rumors say the Yankees are going to go all out to obtain Matt Holiday, so you can write him off. Let's just alot $20 million right here for whoever we get as the RH power bat.

Try and sign Rafael Furcal to an incentive laden contract for SS to platoon with Gonzalez as a safety net.

Sign Derek Lowe as the 5th starter with all the freed up payroll. Move Micah Owings to the bullpen to replace Cordero and allow him to pinch hit more often.

$46 million dollar payroll + Lowe (overpay at $15 million) + ManRam (at $20 million) = $81 million. Re-sign Affeldt at $3 million. Payroll stands at $84+(probably closer to $90) million and the lineup looks like this:

SS Furcal
    3B Wright
    1B Votto
    LF Vlad Guerrero or ManRam
    RF Bruce
    CF Dickerson
    2B Keppinger
    C Hanigan

SP Harang
    SP Lowe
    SP Volquez
    SP Cueto
    SP Arroyo

CL Burton
    RP Owings
    RP Weathers
    RP Bray
    RP Affeldt
    RP Lincoln
    RP Roenicke or Herrera or other minor leaguer

Owings is available to start if any starter gets hurt or tired for a short term period.

Re-sign Affeldt, Weathers, and Hairston.

Trade Freel for a bag of balls. Same with Hopper.

OR.........

Use Wright in the 4-hole.......don't sign a FA power hitting OFer, use Dickerson and Hairston in the CF and LF and take your chances. Not crazy about that idea, BUT.........I know it's alot to commit for a free agent.
    Last edited by ChatterRed; 10-02-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Chatter I love it now get Uncle Bob to "buy" into it please, great ideas across the board, would improve this team big time.
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

I love ChatterReds proposal, but I think that discussions for Wright begin and end with one of the Holy Trinity...Bruce, Volquez and Cueto.
    I still would make ChatterRed's offer to them and see what they say. I guess the key is if they value Phillips as much as most Reds fans do.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

If they trade Bruce or Volquez.... I have to pick another baseball team to follow. Those guys should be Reds for as long as there is MLB. The organization OWES us that. Yes, they owe us.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

How about Phillips,EE, Cordero, Maloney, Thompson, And Stubbs for Jose Reyes and David Wright.

Let the kids play!

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I brought this idea up in another thread. It sure wouldn't hurt to inquire. The Mets should be ready to do something dramatic/desperate to shake things up. I would start with a package including Cordero, EE, middle reliever, Arroyo.
    Substitute Cueto or Volquez for Arroyo and the Mets might listen. Otherwise its not worth it for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

too much

Turn Off Ads?