Turn Off Ads?

Thread: UC wins big over Marsh 33-10

Porkchop Sandwiches

UC wins big over Marsh 33-10

As a Cincinnatian I am naturally skeptical, so the following questions arise:

1. Is Marshall that bad or has the defense improved that much? Can they get better?
    2. Why do they continue to give up a big play every game; concentration lapse or wrong personnel?
    3. Was Chazz the right pick at QB?
    4. Why can't this team get more of a following and better coverage from the local birdcage liner?

That being said, I am happy with the win, and feel 1000% better about this team and its Big East chances. Tony Pike comes back in 2 weeks, and then I see them taking off offensively.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UC wins big over Marsh 33-10

1. The defense easily played their best game of the year and forced three turnovers.
    2. Webster gave up the big play you are referring to. He made his first start last night.
    3. Not sure. He looked like a freshman especially early but improved as the game progressed. It was obvious that Kelly never asked much of Chazz, especially in the first quarter. UC ran the ball quite a bit and Chazz didn't throw the ball downfield. As the game advanced, the playbook opened up and Chazz started responding. It also helped that the defense started forcing turnovers and gave Chazz some short fields. I think Kelly sticks with Chazz until Pike returns.
    4. Home attendance is up over 20% from last year after home games. So there is more of a following although there was a disappointing number of UC fans who made the trip to Huntington. The local media is puzzling. With homecoming against Rutgers next week, I expect Nippert to sell out. The Enquirer had one short article on the game last night. High school football can't be an excuse because the Enquirer has a dedicated UC beat writer. It's so bad, that the athletic department hired Katz and Springer to blog on gobearcats.com. They're doing a fantastic job covering the team and really showing up the local media. Until the advertising money moves away from high school football, the TV stations will continue to cover that heavier. There's a lot of inertia to fight, and it's going to take a few more years for this city to realize there's a quality BCS team in their backyard.
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-04-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    As a Cincinnatian I am naturally skeptical, so the following questions arise:

1. Is Marshall that bad or has the defense improved that much? Can they get better?
    2. Why do they continue to give up a big play every game; concentration lapse or wrong personnel?
    3. Was Chazz the right pick at QB?
    4. Why can't this team get more of a following and better coverage from the local birdcage liner?

That being said, I am happy with the win, and feel 1000% better about this team and its Big East chances. Tony Pike comes back in 2 weeks, and then I see them taking off offensively.
    Defense played real well last night. Forcing turnovers like that is always huge, but I was pleased with the pressure from the Dline. And the D has been solid against the run all year.

Webster did get burnt on the deep ball, and Underwood was a little slow getting over, but I really like what I see from Webster. He had a nice pick after the big play to make up for it a little.

Chazz looked pretty good for a freshman qb getting his first career PT. Kelly said Chazz's style fit the game plan a little better than Collaros, which is why he started. Against a team like Rutgers which is more physical with a few better athletes I wouldn't be surprised to see Collaros.

I was at the game last night, good night for football. UC's following wasn't great, I would guess there to be about 1,000 UC fans that made the trip. Fun trip, and most Marshall fans are pretty good fans. I did run into a few that were throwing stuff at UC fans and yelling, but I had others apologize to me for their behavior.
    Last edited by Redlegs23; 10-04-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Marshall is actually a better overall team than it was last season, but its QB is a redshirt freshman who has played very poorly the last two weeks.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Great game Defense!!! Student tickets sold out the first day for Rutgers and I got mine. 5-1 here we come.

Turn Off Ads?