Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 minor leaguers you would target

Re: Top 3 minor leaguers you would target

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    1. Matt Wieters C
    2. Buster Posey C
    3. Chris Tillman RHP
    Those are pretty good. I thought we were trying to name guys who may realistically be available. If we're just naming the top three guys, I'll go for David Price, Rick Porcello and Tim Beckham.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Those are pretty good. I thought we were trying to name guys who may realistically be available. If we're just naming the top three guys, I'll go for David Price, Rick Porcello and Tim Beckham.
    I like your picks. I interpreted the thread to mean the players I wished the Reds would target. They are probably unavailable but I would ask the question what it would take to acquire them.

1. Matt Wieters C
    2. Buster Posey C
    3. Chris Tillman RHP
    No untoucables lol

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    No untoucables lol
    You were clear. My mistake.

You were clear. My mistake.
    now, just remember how I made you do that.

hmmm 3 untouchables... i'd probably take andrus, wieters, and moustakas. (sorry i couldn't resist)

edit: or price over moustakas. than we'd definitely be in the playoffs almost every year from 2010 on without any more expensive veterans added. ahh if only....
    Last edited by redsfandan; 10-07-2008 at 11:52 PM.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I doubt FMart is available, but I would love to get my hands on him. He is going to be pretty good. Salome is someone who crossed my mind, but I figured the Crew would keep him so thats why I went with Lucroy instead. Good list.
    Thanks Doug. Yeah I'm with you here FM and Salome aren't real likely but there is enough possibility there to warrant asking about them.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    fernando martinez was the one player that new york wouldn't make available in the johan santana talks and i doubt they will for us.
    Yeah I know Dan but with time passing and pressure mounting on the Mets to make the playoffs already who knows? For say BP we might be able to put some kind of deal together that works for both teams. Not that I wanna deal BP but he's someone that the Mets could fill a major hole with both from a talent and swagger perspective both of which I believe they need.

But bottom line is ya never know until you ask, right?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

the problem with picking fmart is that we already have options down the road for all 3 outfield spots. will they be as good as fmart? with the exception of bruce, probably not if the hype is to believed. but my point is that we DO have options. what are our options at shortstop in 2010??

Question for the guru's: What is the prospect status of the Marlins John Raynor? He wasn't mentioned as one of Florida's top 10 prospects in 2008 and he also didn't crack BA's top 20 in the southern league. He struck out alot but he also hit for a high average, drew walks, and carried an OBP north of 400 and an OPS of 890.

Question for the guru's: What is the prospect status of the Marlins John Raynor? He wasn't mentioned as one of Florida's top 10 prospects in 2008 and he also didn't crack BA's top 20 in the southern league. He struck out alot but he also hit for a high average, drew walks, and carried an OBP north of 400 and an OPS of 890.
    What I've read says he doesn't defend well enough to play CF and doesn't hit enough to start in a corner. Heisey and Henry (not to mention Stubbs) may already be better options -- OFs with speed and decent bats who can defend.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

the problem with picking fmart is that we already have options down the road for all 3 outfield spots. will they be as good as fmart? with the exception of bruce, probably not if the hype is to believed. but my point is that we DO have options. what are our options at shortstop in 2010??
    Well who says you can't do both? I'm not likely to overlook that Filet Mignon if the price is right just because I am looking for ground beef.

--Woody Hayes

ok i'd agree with that. if he's available i wouldn't mind knowing the price as long as it isn't too much.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

another name i'd like to know the availability of would be tampas Jake McGee. he's a lefty who was a strikeout machine in '06/'07 (11+ k's/9 ip with a cumulative whip under 1.25 and only 17 hrs allowed in 274 ip). unfortunately for him he had tj surgery in july and is expected to be out most of next year. but since tj has become relatively routine he could still pan out to be a solid starter and tampa is kinda loaded with good pitchers these days (kazmir, shields, garza, price, davis, etc) so maybe he'd be expendable at a price that's a little less than full value.

or better yet, maybe a deal for both McGee and Brignac. both have had their stock fall, could still pan out and help us (a lefty for a rotation full of righties and a possible long term solution for shortstop) and may be expendable to tampa.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 10-11-2008 at 08:43 AM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

i think texas likes andrus and teagarden alot (more than salty) so i wouldn't expect either of them dealt. but brignac is a definite possibility since tampa took beckham 1st in this years draft with the idea that he'd be their ss of the future.
    Only thing about Andrus is they just gave Michael Young a big deal. They do like Teagarden better than Salty, but I think they like Ramirez better than Teagarden.

Turn Off Ads?