Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 minor leaguers you would target

Re: Top 3 minor leaguers you would target

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Only thing about Andrus is they just gave Michael Young a big deal. They do like Teagarden better than Salty, but I think they like Ramirez better than Teagarden.
    i think i remember reading somewhere that they planned to eventually move young to another position (think it was 3rd).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    the problem with picking fmart is that we already have options down the road for all 3 outfield spots. will they be as good as fmart? with the exception of bruce, probably not if the hype is to believed. but my point is that we DO have options. what are our options at shortstop in 2010??

Just grab talent where and when you can find it. If it creates a surplus somewhere like the OF, then you have more chips to deal for needs like SS or C.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Just grab talent where and when you can find it. If it creates a surplus somewhere like the OF, then you have more chips to deal for needs like SS or C.
    I agree 100% with this statement but just to play along:

1. Elvis Andrus, they have Michael Young in front and Marcus Lemon not too far behind, Maybe Texas will buy that if we throw in Herrera it will be as magical as last seasons deal.
    2. Trevor Cahill, RHP OAK he could thrive in GABP with his 94 mph sinker and strikeout ability. Dont know what it would take to acquire him but he is just nasty.
    3. Mike McKenry C COL he has major league ready defense and plus power. While he only played High A ball he could be ready by mid season.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    I agree 100% with this statement but just to play along:

1. Elvis Andrus, they have Michael Young in front and Marcus Lemon not too far behind, Maybe Texas will buy that if we throw in Herrera it will be as magical as last seasons deal.
    2. Trevor Cahill, RHP OAK he could thrive in GABP with his 94 mph sinker and strikeout ability. Dont know what it would take to acquire him but he is just nasty.
    3. Mike McKenry C COL he has major league ready defense and plus power. While he only played High A ball he could be ready by mid season.
    I think the first two guys are off limits. The Rangers love Andrus and the price would be outrageous even if he were available. I still contend he is the most overrated prospect in baseball. Cahill is a stud and could lay claim to being the 2nd best pitching prospect in the minors behind only David Price. I don't think he is moving anywhere anytime soon.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

All resources should be used to get one and only one prospect. Matt Wieters.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    All resources should be used to get one and only one prospect. Matt Wieters.
    Edinson Volquez and Johnny Cueto might get that deal done. I don't think either side sees that as a realistic deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    This sounds like a debate that dougdirt and I had a couple months back. The difference being back then we were talking about the june draft. With the draft you're picking between players that may not be up for 3-5 years.

But in this thread alot of the names that have been thrown out are prospects that are already in the minors, would likely be up in less than 2 years, and that you'd have to trade for. So if you're going to trade for a prospect that could be expected to help you either this season or next wouldn't you prefer that he played a postion where you could use some help?

Former Rockies pitcher Mike Esposito. Sure he kinda sucks but I just found out his dad is Joe Esposito, who sang "You're the Best" from Karate Kid. I want that dude's kid in our organization.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Former Rockies pitcher Mike Esposito. Sure he kinda sucks but I just found out his dad is Joe Esposito, who sang "You're the Best" from Karate Kid. I want that dude's kid in our organization.
    I can get behind that!

Gemel (plays 3B in the minors but will be a LF and is blocked by Braun)
    A Escobar (SS blocked by Hardy)
    LuCroy (C one of 3 or four quality catchers in the Brewers system)

All should be obtainable because position congestion with the Brewers. All fit the Reds needs.

Trade Arroyo, Frazier (Mil needs a 3B) and Stubbs or Heisey.

Finally go out and sign Ben Sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by stock View Post
    Gemel (plays 3B in the minors but will be a LF and is blocked by Braun)
    A Escobar (SS blocked by Hardy)
    LuCroy (C one of 3 or four quality catchers in the Brewers system)

All should be obtainable because position congestion with the Brewers. All fit the Reds needs.

Trade Arroyo, Frazier (Mil needs a 3B) and Stubbs or Heisey.

Finally go out and sign Ben Sheets.
    LuCroy is questioned whether his bat will translate to the majors. Some have compared him to Jason Kendall. Doesnt have a lot of power (at least I didnt)but hit 20 HRs between Low and High A this year (about 470 abs).

Brewers will find or make a place for Escobar, he was one of the guys the Indians wanted and the Brewers said heck no. He's got a rocket for an arm. He's a bat that ought to translate well, some compared him to Rafael Furcal. Has ~2100 abs in the minors might need a bit more time. May start the year at AAA and give the Brewers time to shop Hardy. One of the rumors is the Brew Crew might try and get on the Peavy 3rd team train and offer up Hardy to the Braves to replace Escobar at SS. The Brewers like Escobar more from what I heard at WV Power Park in the few conversations I had with scouts and other Brewer Personel.

Gamel is viewed largely like LaPorta, you dont know where he's going to stick but his stick will carry him. If all it took was Arroyo, Stubbs, and Heisey I'd do it in a heartbeat but besides LuCroy I dont see the Brewers being too eager to trade Escobar or Gamel in the division.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I really like Jose Morales a catcher with the Twins organization, but I don't know if he would be availible. switch hitter

I also have liked John Jaso, a catcher with the Rays. left hand bat.

Either one I would have prefered to what we got in the Freel trade.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I really like Jose Morales a catcher with the Twins organization, but I don't know if he would be availible. switch hitter

I also have liked John Jaso, a catcher with the Rays. left hand bat.

Either one I would have prefered to what we got in the Freel trade.
    Freel had NEGATIVE trade value. The fact that we got a guy who has a chance to rebound in a contract year and be league average or better is pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Freel had NEGATIVE trade value. The fact that we got a guy who has a chance to rebound in a contract year and be league average or better is pretty amazing.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, great post.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

How about:

1) Reid Brignac - I think he is available and a change of scenery would probably do him some good. Also an obvious need for the Reds.

2) Gorkys Hernandez - I just really like him. Super fast, young. Season was a little disappointing probably due mostly to an injury.

3) Taylor Teagarden/Max Ramirez - one of them should be available right? right?

Turn Off Ads?