Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL starts today

AFL starts today

Stubbs is playing LF and Valaika is at SS. They are the only 2 Reds in the starting line up today.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: AFL starts today

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Stubbs is playing LF and Valaika is at SS. They are the only 2 Reds in the starting line up today.
    Who is in CF that is pushing Stubbs to LF?

Dickerson and Stubbs, the best defending LF platoon in history...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Who is in CF that is pushing Stubbs to LF?

Dickerson and Stubbs, the best defending LF platoon in history...
    Austin Jackson of the Yankees' organization. At the beginning of the year, Baseball America ranked him as the Yankees' number two prospect (behind Joba Chameberlain) and as the Yankees' best defense outfielder.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=nyy
    http://minors.baseball-reference.com...s.cgi?pid=7082

Stubbs and Valaika both struck out their 1st at bats.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Stubbs and Valaika both struck out their 1st at bats.
    Trade them

Stubbs has struck out, walked, walked, and scored. Valakia is 1-2 with a single and a two-out RBI.

Peoria up 6-0. Watson in to pitch.

Watson gets 2 quick outs and then loads the bases. A 2 out double makes it 6-2 in the T6. Watson strikes out Rodriquez to end the 6th.

Watson gets 2 quick outs and then loads the bases. A 2 out double makes it 6-2 in the T6. Watson strikes out Rodriquez to end the 6th.
    That game sums up Watson's entire year this year.

Stubbs infield hit and RBI. 10-3 B8.

Stubby has a blog on the AFL. Here is his 1st blog.

Arizona Fall League Kicks Off
    Greetings everyone from Peoria, AZ! I'm Drew Stubbs, and I'll be leading this blog for the Cincinnati Reds. Before I get into our brief time so far out here, I'll tell you a little about myself. I grew up in the small town of Atlanta, TX. That's right, Texas and not Georgia. It is located in extreme northeast Texas, just south of Texarkana, and I wouldn't expect you to have heard of it unless you've been through the area. I was drafted by the Reds out of the University of Texas in the first round of the '06 draft. Prior to joining the Reds, I helped the Longhorns win a National Championship in 2005. I think my college teammates and I agree that that was the greatest experience of our lives...truly amazing. Since being in pro ball, I have 2 and a half seasons under my belt that have spanned places from Billings, MT to Louisville, KY. You definitely get to experience a whole lot of different scenery while climbing through the minor leagues. Joining me here on the Peoria Javelinas from the Reds are infielders Chris Valaika and Justin Turner, pitchers Carlos Fisher, Robert Manuel, Sean Watson, and Pedro Viola, and infielder/outfielder Sean Henry. I'm sure at some point you will hear from all of these great guys.

I have been in Arizona only a handful of days now, since Oct. 1, and I've already experienced the heat that it is known for. Thankfully, we've had a few days that have offered a break in temperature, but for the most part it has been pretty steamy. We just played our first game of the Fall League today, Oct. 7, but we have been working out as a team for the past 5 days. The workouts have been efficient and brief as we've gotten our work done by around lunch time each day. I think we prepared ourselves well because we were able to get a win against the Surprise Rafters in the league opener. Our pitching was sharp, and our offense put up plenty of runs to supply a nice lead for us. Hopefully, we'll be able to continue our success during the next month and a half.

Outside the field, it's been really laid back for my Reds teammates and I. We all live together in a large house about 5 minutes from the Peoria complex. It's been a little hectic at times trying to get everyone on the same page most of the time, but things have been great overall. Since games have now started, our days should be filled a little more and won't leave us with as much down time.

Well guys, this concludes my first week blog, but I'll be back next week to continue. Please feel free to ask any questions or drop a line or two. Until next time, have a great week!

Drew Stubbs

Here is the link. http://aflreds.mlblogs.com/

Henry,Valaika and Turner in the line up today. Viola gets the nod on the bump.

Am interested to see how it goes for Viola. After a rough start in the bullpen, he was close to sensational this year after being converted to a starter late in the season.

I'm interested about Viola, as well. He's a very interesting prospect, imo. He kind of came out of nowhere last year, and just as people started to suspect that 2007 was just a flash in the pan, he turned it on again. The big question I have about him is whether he was used as a starter simply because the Reds wanted him to get more innings or because the Reds really think he projects well as a starter.

Pedro had a good 1st inning. In the 2nd he gave up a couple of doubles and a 3 run bomb. The Javs trail 4-0.

Henry 0-1 K
    Valaika 1-1 1B
    Turner 1-1 1B
    Last edited by Redman15; 10-08-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Turn Off Ads?