Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL starts today

Re: AFL starts today

Javs roll out a 7 spot to take a 7-5 lead. Valaika RBI double (2-3). Turner bases loaded single to score 2. (2-2). Fister replaces Viola on the bump.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Carlos Fisher in to close.8-7 Javs B9.
    Fisher slams the door with a K,ground out, K.
    Javs win!
    Last edited by Redman15; 10-08-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Carlos Fisher in to close.8-7 Javs B9.
    Fisher slams the door with a K,ground out, K.
    Javs win!
    Carlos Fisher is the best reliever we have in the upper part of the system and there is no doubt in my mind about that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Carlos Fisher is the best reliever we have in the upper part of the system and there is no doubt in my mind about that.
    Yep. Something clicked in him this year. We can only hope it sticks. If it does, he may make the big league team in ST.
    Last edited by GOYA; 10-08-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Another not-so-veiled slap at Josh Roenicke. I doubt the Reds scouts and top brass have the same sense of certainty.

Fisher had a good 17 innings at AAA, but at AA his numbers were more down to earth. He seems like a good combo of grounders and strikeouts but I haven't heard him projected as a dominating type.

Roenicke had a couple rough outings in September for the Reds and yes, the old bromide, he relies heavily on his fastball. But he still is relatively inexperienced and at some point, for some team, he would seem to profile as the more dominant reliever. It's just a matter of time until he gets it together. His AAA numbers this year were outstanding with a 1.23 WHIP and 43 Ks in 39 innings. He's getting there.

And, frankly, Sean Watson belongs in this conversation. I know, his control isn't there yet, but he fanned 75 guys in 55 innings last season at two levels. If the question is potential, we need to look past the current pitcher and focus on what he could be with some growth.

Roenicke, Stewart and Watson seem like the guys with potential to dominate, at least for a few years. Fisher perhaps is more of a set up type or multi-inning middle guy. All talented, hard to be certain about how they may pan out.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-08-2008 at 08:01 PM.

The Reds players are off to a good start in Arizona.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Roenicke had a couple rough outings in September for the Reds and yes, the old bromide, he relies heavily on his fastball. But he still is relatively inexperienced and at some point, for some team, he would seem to profile as the more dominant reliever. It's just a matter of time until he gets it together. His AAA numbers this year were outstanding with a 1.23 WHIP and 43 Ks in 39 innings. He's getting there.
    don't mean to nitpick but i'm not sure i'd call a 1.23 whip outstanding. good but not outstanding.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Another not-so-veiled slap at Josh Roenicke. I doubt the Reds scouts and top brass have the same sense of certainty.

Fisher had a good 17 innings at AAA, but at AA his numbers were more down to earth. He seems like a good combo of grounders and strikeouts but I haven't heard him projected as a dominating type.
    He has better secondary pitches and has a fastball thats comparable with Roenicke, but with more sink and induces more grounders. Not a shot at Roenicke, but praise for Fisher.

For as inexperienced Roenicke is with the football and all, Fisher didn't pitch until his Junior year in college. Both have that lack of experience, but the only thing Roenicke does better than Fisher is an extra MPH or two on his fastball at its top speed.

And, frankly, Sean Watson belongs in this conversation. I know, his control isn't there yet, but he fanned 75 guys in 55 innings last season at two levels. If the question is potential, we need to look past the current pitcher and focus on what he could be with some growth.
    If Watson can get something resembling control going, then yeah, he could be in the conversation. He hasn't shown that ability though, so he isn't.

Roenicke, Stewart and Watson seem like the guys with potential to dominate, at least for a few years. Fisher perhaps is more of a set up type or multi-inning middle guy. All talented, hard to be certain about how they may pan out.
    Stewart is the best of that group and its not close. Roenicke is far ahead of Watson at this point. Fisher is ahead of Roenicke though. Fastball in the 92-96 range with good sink and offspeed stuff that he trusts and can throw for strikes. I would put that on par with anyone in the system thats not named Stewart as far as relievers go.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    don't mean to nitpick but i'm not sure i'd call a 1.23 whip outstanding. good but not outstanding.
    If not outstanding, then very good.

For a reliever, I always look for a WHIP of 1.3 or below. For a starter 1.4 or below.

Obviously WHIP has its limitations. If a pitcher allows lots of homers, all the WHIP in the world won't help him. But I think it's useful. If a pitcher allows lots of walks; or is easy to hit; it will show up in the WHIP.

Roenicke is obviously not easy to hit. But he has been prone to walks at some levels. His good AAA WHIP reflects that, at that level last year, he kept the walks under control.

I still think that Roenicke is the kind of reliever who -- for a few seasons -- can be dominant. That extra yard on his fastball makes all the difference as compared with others. Not sure he's ready quite yet, maybe by mid-season 2009.

Re: AFL Game 10-9-08

Stubby leading off and playing LF. Turner batting 7th playing 2nd.

Peoria won 6-4. Stubbs 0-2,Turner 0-3, Manuel pitched 1 inning, 1 ER.

Stubbs did reach base twice with a walk and HBP.

Re: AFL Game 10-10-08

Turner batting 2nd playing 2B; Valaika batting 5th and playing SS.

AFL offers serious training ground
    Eight Reds prospects among those extending their seasons

CINCINNATI -- If a player is invited to play in the Arizona Fall League, it's a sign that his big league dream has come within grasping-reach.

Major League rosters are loaded with alumni that played in the AFL, which began play this week. The six-team league consists mainly of top-end prospects from the Double-A and Triple-A levels. The Reds sent eight prospects from their organization to participate this year.

"Anytime you can get guys additional playing time in any venue, it's good," Reds Minor League director Terry Reynolds said. "When you can get them playing against the better prospects from other organizations, it's even better."

Among Major Leaguers with AFL experience are Reds pitchers Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo, second baseman Brandon Phillips and first baseman Joey Votto. MLB superstars like Derek Jeter and Ryan Howard also played in the league.

The Reds playing in the AFL this year are pitchers Pedro Viola, Sean Watson, Robert Manuel and Carlos Fisher, outfielder Drew Stubbs and infielders Chris Valaika, Justin Turner and Sean Henry. Louisville coach Ted Power, a former Reds reliever, will be a pitching coach.

"I think it's a good experience and competition for those kids," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "We're sending some pretty good players. If other teams did the same, there will be some very good competition."

The most familiar name to Reds fans among this year's AFL group will be Stubbs, Cincinnati's 2006 first-round Draft pick out of the Univ. of Texas. The 24-year-old reached Triple-A Louisville by the end of this season.

Louisville wasn't the intended target, originally. Stubbs began 2008 at Class A Sarasota and batted .261 over 86 games before making the move to Double-A Chattanooga. The stay only lasted 26 games while he batted .315 with a .400 on-base percentage.

In August, injuries and an outfield shortage at Louisville necessitated another promotion. Like Jay Bruce a year ago, it was supposed to be short stay before returning to Chattanooga. Instead, it became permanent.

"Truth be told, I thought it might be better for him to spend the whole summer in Double-A," Reynolds said. "But he was a pleasant surprise at Louisville. He held his own there."

Stubbs played center field exclusively at Louisville under manager Rick Sweet. There are plans to improve his versatility next season at the other two outfield spots. The Reds do not have to protect Stubbs on their 40-man roster until after the 2009 season. The decision hasn't been made yet whether to invite him to big league camp as a non-roster player next spring.

In 19 games with Louisville, Stubbs batted .293. Overall at the three levels, he batted .277 with seven homers, 57 RBIs, 33 doubles, 33 steals and a .371 OBP. He walked 67 times with 123 strikeouts.

The Reds have been working with Stubbs to not expand his strike zone too much and to cut down on the K's.

"He improved significantly. It's an area where he'll have to continue to work," Reynolds said. "We want him to put the ball in play and use his speed. We just don't want him to strike out. It's an effort for all of our coaches to get him better at that."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Valaika 0-3 BB,Run, Turner 0-4,BB,Run. Javs lost 7-5.

Turn Off Ads?