Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This Date In Reds History (10/8/08): Past Lineups -- 1973 NLCS

This Date In Reds History (10/8/08): Past Lineups -- 1973 NLCS

35 years ago (1973), a 9-2 loss in Game 3 of the NLCS at Shea Stadium in Queens.

Cincinnati
    Pete Rose lf
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Tony Perez 1b
    Johnny Bench c
    Andy Kosco rf
    Ed Armbrister cf
    Denis Menke 3b
    Darrel Chaney ss
    Ross Grimsley p

New York Mets
    Wayne Garrett 3b
    Felix Millan 2b
    Rusty Staub rf
    Cleon Jones lf
    John Milner 1b
    Jerry Grote c
    Don Hahn cf
    Bud Harrelson ss
    Jerry Koosman p

WP: Jerry Koosman (1-0)
    LP: Ross Grimsley (0-1)
    HR: CIN - Denis Menke (1). NY - Rusty Staub 2 (3).

Jerry Koosman pitched a complete-game eight-hitter with 9 K's to get the win, as the Mets took a 2-1 lead in the best-of-five series. In the top of the fifth inning, Pete Rose slid hard into Mets SS Bud Harrelson at second base in a failed attempt to break up a double play, sparking a melee between the two fiery competitors. Rose, who had at least a 30-lb. weight advantage, held the upper hand as both benches emptied. Reds reliever Pedro Borbon was rather agitated during the scuffle. Surprisingly, nobody was ejected. Reds manager Sparky Anderson later pulled his team from the field in the bottom of the fifth, as unruly fans pelted the Reds' outfielders (particularly Rose) with debris.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This Date In Reds History (10/8/08): Past Lineups -- 1973 NLCS

I recall a story that Borbon during the skirmish, took a Mets hat and shredded it with his teeth.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I recall a story that Borbon during the skirmish, took a Mets hat and shredded it with his teeth.
    Yep. I remember the game being halted and a Mets group of Yogi Berra, Willie Mays and Rusty Staub imploring the fans to settle down so the game could resume and a forfeit avoided. I can't imagine that a forfeit in the play-offs was ever a realistic possibility.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yep. I remember the game being halted and a Mets group of Yogi Berra, Willie Mays and Rusty Staub imploring the fans to settle down so the game could resume and a forfeit avoided. I can't imagine that a forfeit in the play-offs was ever a realistic possibility.
    I don't know how close it was to being forfeited. But it had to be considered. There was now way Sparky could send his outfielders,especially Rose, back out with all the stuff the Mets fans were throwing on the field. From what I remember it was a pretty nasty situation.
    This was the first real fight I remember seeing sports. It wasn't a shove or two and that was it. It was a pretty decent brawl. I can remember pictures of Borbon with a Mets cap in his mouth like he tearing it with his teeth. Borbon always liked a good fight. Didn't he bite someone once during a fight?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Didn't he bite someone once during a fight?
    The Reds and Pirates split a doubleheader at Three Rivers Stadium marked by a free-for-all which is later credited with inspiring Pittsburgh and turning its season around. The fight starts in game 2 after a 4th inning beanball when Jack Billingham plunks P Bruce Kison‚ bringing both teams onto the field. When Sparky Anderson accidentally steps on Ed Kirkpatrick's foot‚ the Buc catcher shoves the Reds manager‚ earning him a punch from the Reds Andy Kosko. Pedro Borbon pins Daryl Patterson‚ pulling his hair out and a piece of flesh‚ and biting him. The Pirates win the nitecap‚ 2-1‚ after losing 3-2.

I also recall Borbon getting into trouble with the law later in his career while with the Giants for biting a guy in public.

I think Borbon will be at the CEI BRM reunion show next month. I may hand him a hat and ask him to bite it. =0)
    Last edited by George Anderson; 10-08-2008 at 07:42 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    35 years ago (1973), a 9-2 loss in Game 3 of the NLCS at Shea Stadium in Queens.

Cincinnati
    Pete Rose lf
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Tony Perez 1b
    Johnny Bench c
    Andy Kosco rf
    Ed Armbrister cf
    Denis Menke 3b
    Darrel Chaney ss
    Ross Grimsley p

New York Mets
    Wayne Garrett 3b
    Felix Millan 2b
    Rusty Staub rf
    Cleon Jones lf
    John Milner 1b
    Jerry Grote c
    Don Hahn cf
    Bud Harrelson ss
    Jerry Koosman p

WP: Jerry Koosman (1-0)
    LP: Ross Grimsley (0-1)
    HR: CIN - Denis Menke (1). NY - Rusty Staub 2 (3).

Jerry Koosman pitched a complete-game eight-hitter with 9 K's to get the win, as the Mets took a 2-1 lead in the best-of-five series. In the top of the fifth inning, Pete Rose slid hard into Mets SS Bud Harrelson at second base in a failed attempt to break up a double play, sparking a melee between the two fiery competitors. Rose, who had at least a 30-lb. weight advantage, held the upper hand as both benches emptied. Reds reliever Pedro Borbon was rather agitated during the scuffle. Surprisingly, nobody was ejected. Reds manager Sparky Anderson later pulled his team from the field in the bottom of the fifth, as unruly fans pelted the Reds' outfielders (particularly Rose) with debris.
    Just noticed that Armbrister started. Wow! Geronimo must have been in a really bad slump. Also started Menke. It's no wonder the Reds struggled to score in this series. Not to mention the Mets good pitching.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The Reds and Pirates split a doubleheader at Three Rivers Stadium marked by a free-for-all which is later credited with inspiring Pittsburgh and turning its season around. The fight starts in game 2 after a 4th inning beanball when Jack Billingham plunks P Bruce Kison‚ bringing both teams onto the field. When Sparky Anderson accidentally steps on Ed Kirkpatrick's foot‚ the Buc catcher shoves the Reds manager‚ earning him a punch from the Reds Andy Kosko. Pedro Borbon pins Daryl Patterson‚ pulling his hair out and a piece of flesh‚ and biting him. The Pirates win the nitecap‚ 2-1‚ after losing 3-2.

I also recall Borbon getting into trouble with the law later in his career while with the Giants for biting a guy in public.

I think Borbon will be at the CEI BRM reunion show next month. I may hand him a hat and ask him to bite it. =0)
    Thanks! That was it. Just be careful and don't let Borbon bite you. He may be a vampire.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Thanks! That was it. Just be careful and don't let Borbon bite you. He may be a vampire.
    Years ago at one of the BRM reunions I had a metal tray of the 1976 Reds that I was having autographed. When I got to Borbon to have him autograph it he really liked the tray. He made the comment to me "I like this thing, I would like to have it" in very broken english. Knowing Borbons history of biting human flesh when he didn't get his way was a tad bit intimidating to me.
    I just laughed, grabbed the tray and thanked him.

Just noticed that Armbrister started. Wow! Geronimo must have been in a really bad slump. Also started Menke. It's no wonder the Reds struggled to score in this series. Not to mention the Mets good pitching.
    Geronimo hit only .210 (.210/.266/.309/.575) with 4 HR's and 33 RBI's in 324 AB's in 1973. He often found himself on the bench against left-handed starters.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?