Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Daugherty: Would you trade Cueto for Holliday?

Daugherty: Would you trade Cueto for Holliday?

PDoc was on 700 WLW last night, talking about how that he knows the Reds have interest in Matt Holliday. He said that the Yankees are also interested and are prepared to offer Robinson Cano and Phil Hughes. (To which I started laughing because only a foolish team would take on the Cano contract) He thinks that it will take Johnny Cueto plus other stuff to get Holliday. He posed the question to the audience of would they do it. The first caller called and thought that, the Rockies would need more like a package of Cueto, Stubbs, Frazier and Bailey! (To which I couldn't stop yelling "You are an idiot" at the radio. The rest of the callers were pretty much against the idea. PDoc, responded with "How will you fill that RH power bat hole?" As if there are no other options to be had.

Your thoughts?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Daugherty: Would you trade Cueto for Holliday?

Absolutely not. Cueto has a bright future ahead of him and trading him for offense opens up another hole in the rotation. Plus Holliday will be very expensive. Focus on someone cheaper with upside, like Nelson Cruz or Jeremy Hermida.

The Yanks know they can outpay every other team, so if Holliday is looking for a max payday they'll be able to lock him up long-term. The Reds can't throw away talent like Cueto for a rental, no way.

Didn't he want to trade Cueto for Blanton last year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The Rockies do want Cueto + Francisco + something else for Holliday. Not speculation, its what they told the Reds according to a scout I know. And no, I wouldn't. Not for 1 year. If Holliday had 3 years, yes, I would.

Holliday at this point in his career makes a lot more sense for the Yankees. Cueto at this point in his career makes a lot more sense for the Reds.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Noooooooooooooooooo

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Holliday at this point in his career makes a lot more sense for the Yankees. Cueto at this point in his career makes a lot more sense for the Reds.
    I agree with jojos statement. If the Reds were granted a window to sign him long term then yes I do the deal. No window.. No deal. Perhaps the Rox would take Arroyo, Maloney/Thompson, and Fransisco

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I agree with jojos statement. If the Reds were granted a window to sign him long term then yes I do the deal. No window.. No deal. Perhaps the Rox would take Arroyo, Maloney/Thompson, and Fransisco
    Doubtful. They are said to be locked in on Cueto and Francisco as absolute have to be included guys.

I'm a little nervous now. I'd much rather hope for a breakout year from Hermida than give away crucial pieces like Cueto.

no.

Now, if it were Bailey + Francisco + something else then I say yes.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Didn't he want to trade Cueto for Blanton last year?
    Yes.

Daugherty appears to have made it his new life's mission (now that he has run Dunn out of town) to trade Cueto.

I would not trade Cueto for Holliday. I would however, offer them Bailey, Arroyo or even Votto instead, along with guys like Francisco.
    Go BLUE!!!

In 1353 official at bats at Coors Field, Holiday has been a monster, hitting .357 with a .423 OBP, a .645 S.PCT., and 84 HRs and 307 RBI. Unfortunately, he is unlikely to hit like that if GABP is his home park. His career road numbers, in 1303 at bats, include an average of .280, a .348 OBP, a .455 S.Pct., 44 HRs and 176 RBI. His salary demands will also be huge. No way do I trade away Cueto for that, no way do I pay Holliday $15,000,000 or so a season to be a leftfielder who hits .280 .348 .455.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

High five!

Bronson, yes.

Cueto, no.

Turn Off Ads?