Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This Date In Reds History (10/10/08): Past Lineups -- 1973 NLCS

This Date In Reds History (10/10/08): Past Lineups -- 1973 NLCS

35 years ago (1973), a 7-2 loss in Game 5 of the NLCS at Shea Stadium in Queens.

Cincinnati
    Pete Rose lf
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Dan Driessen 3b
    Tony Perez 1b
    Johnny Bench c
    Ken Griffey rf
    Cesar Geronimo cf
    Darrel Chaney ss
    Jack Billingham p

New York Mets
    Wayne Garrett 3b
    Felix Millan 2b
    Cleon Jones rf
    John Milner 1b
    Ed Kranepool lf
    Jerry Grote c
    Don Hahn cf
    Bud Harrelson ss
    Tom Seaver p

WP: Tom Seaver (1-1)
    LP: Jack Billingham (0-1)
    HR: None.

Tom Seaver and Tug McGraw combined on a seven-hitter, as the Mets won the best-of-five series 3-2, and advanced to the World Series to face the defending World Champion Oakland Athletics. Mets pitchers completely shut down the Cincinnati offense, as the Reds hit only .186/.247/.311/.558 in the five games. When you consider that those numbers include Pete Rose, who hit a robust .381/.435/.714/1.149, it is unbelievable just how dismal the rest of the club was. Not including Rose, the rest of the Reds hit only .158/.220/.253/.473!

This concludes the "This Date In Reds History" feature for this season. I really appreciate all the positive feedback I have received, and I would like to thank everybody who contributes to the discussions, as well as those who just stop by to read each day. (I would name each of you, but there are quite a few of you, and I would hate to inadvertently overlook anyone.) As long as there is an interest I will continue to post them. Next year I will feature the 1954, '59, '64, '69, '74, '79, '84, '89, '94, '99, and 2004 seasons. I would like to recognize retrosheet.org and baseball-reference.com, two great sites where I find a lot of information.

See you all on April 2, as the 1984 Reds will open next season's schedule!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This Date In Reds History (10/10/08): Past Lineups -- 1973 NLCS

Thanks Big Klu.
    The Reds loss in game five of the 1973 NLCS was a bitter one. I can recall that when the final out was made, Pete Rose was on base. Johnny Bench and several other Reds had armed themselves with bats, prepared to literally fight their way out nto the field to rescue Rose if necessary from the mob of Mets "fans." Shea Stadium was an ugly scene, and I have rooted against the Mets ever since, even including when they hae played the Yankees.
    I can also recall thinking that Dan Driessen, after the Reds had rallied to tie the game 2-2, quit on a play during a Mets rally when the Mets went up 6-2.
    I have enjoyed your lineup postings. I look forward to 2010, when I assume you will post lineups from 1970, 1975 and 1990, among other seasons-those are Reds seasons to remember (it's a shame you can't get 1940 as well).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

This was a very disappointing loss. The Reds were big favorites in this series. The Reds were the hot team. Coming from way behind in the West to win it. The Mets limped into the playoffs only winning 82 games. I can remember racing home from school to watch this game. By the time I got home the Reds were already behind and things were looking bad. After eating dinner my dad said this game was over and he needed to take me to town to get a haircut. He said I could take my transistor radio and listen to the rest of it at the barbershop. So I took it with me and sat in the local babershop and listened to the final outs. This was also the last broadcast for Al Michaels as a Reds PBP announcer. He left for the San Francisco Giants PBP job during the winter. A little known announcer named Marty Brennaman would take over the Reds PBP job and the rest is history.
    Thanks again Big Klu! Looking forward to another season next year. April 2 seems very far away doesn't it?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Thank you again for this, Big Klu. Next year's lineup could be quite interesting: The '64 pennant race, the turmoil and reintroduction of Pete Rose in '84, the ugliness of '89 and the race in '99.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    This was also the last broadcast for Al Michaels as a Reds PBP announcer. He left for the San Francisco Giants PBP job during the winter.
    Anyone know why Michaels left the Reds for the Giants? Was it more money?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Probably more money and I think he was from California.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

He saw the poofy hair coming in his rear view mirror?

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Lived in LA and also did the UCLA Basketball games and regional football, not many places better to be than California in the 70's.

Turn Off Ads?