Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2008 International Signings

Re: 2008 International Signings

Now hope like crazy that a couple of these big dollar guys pan out - the last time the Reds tried this it flopped and the team completely turned away from Latin America. That was, of course, a different regime and hopefully Cast realizes that some of this money will be like a Vegas gamble and gone, gone, gone. It will take repeated signings like this year's to really start to pay big dividends. The buscones are bringing the Reds the top talents now - if this kind of annual investment is a budget line item then the Reds will have an inside track as the latin american system now operates. Really, I hope Cast and crew recognize that 5-6 million a year is about the cost of a veteran utility player and well worth the continued expense. In down years for talent they could rathole some of the money and in big years they could push that even higher. If a team can add a guy or two each year in the international arena that would be comparable to a pick from 1-3 in the draft, and lure a player or two in the lower draft slots that driopped because most teams thought he'd go to college, the Reds could develop an incredible minor league system. It'll be interesting to see if the international money continues next year and if they sign as high a percentage of drafted players.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Great stuff from Baseball America today on the Reds International signings. I'll try to summarize it later. According to BA, the Reds are/were pretty close to signing another stud, Ismael Guillon, a 16 year old LHP from Venezuela. SaberScouting ranked him as the 13th best prospect in this years class and they say he is looking for $700,000. If he did indeed sign, that would push the Reds total to $6.4 million spent.

Here's a picture of Juan Duran from BA:

Confirmed Reds 2008 International signings:

CF Yorman Rodriguez - $2.5 million - Venezuela
    OF Juan Duran - $2 million - Dominican Republic
    SS Junior Arias - $330,000 - Dominican Republic
    SS Anyelo Polanco - $300,000 - Dominican Republic

Bonuses in the $100,000 to $200,000 range:

OF Frederman Lopez - Venezuela
    RHP Carlos Tineo - Dominican Republic
    RHP Ricardo Quintero - Venezuela
    SS Andres Santoni - Venuzuela

Reds are also linked to Venezuelan LHP Ismael Guillon.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Another photo of Juan Duran, this one is by Jim Donten

Did you post a pic Doug? It's not showing up for me.

Unless he looks like a little red X
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Here is just a little summary on the four main players signed by the Reds:

Yorman Rodriguez - 6-foot-2, 185-pound frame. Plus-plus speed. Very athletic, profiles as a center fielder. Reds have scouted him for three years.

Juan Duran - different style of player from Yorman. Duran is 6'5" and 190 pounds with average speed. Has plus-plus power potential.

Junior Arias - would have received a higher signing bonus but suffered an elbow injury and had surgery on it after he signed. Is expected to be healthy by spring training. Strong and athletic. Short and quick swing. Good defender with a solid arm.

Anyelo Polanco - not quite as good as Arias, but is a solid defender with some ability from the left side of the plate.

Here's a scouting report from SaberScouting on Ismael Guillon, the LHP BA says the Reds are in on:

13. Ismael Guillon, LHP, Venezuela
    Guillon is a big 6′3 lefthander that hasn’t been seen a whole lot, but has a good amount of polish for a 16 year old. He has a larger, more filled-out frame compared to fellow 6′3 Venezuelan hurler Portillo, and throws from the left side, but has a lower upside. Guillon works in the high 80s with his fastball and lacks bigtime projection, but has 3 workable pitches and some feel for pitching. He figures to get a bonus of about $700,000 as well.

http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/06.../#comment-3177

Baseball America has a small profile on him from back in July. They say he's also a first baseman. Scouts say he has great power but he swings and misses a lot. On the mound they say he's got a 90-91 mph fastball but has a bad and funky delivery.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Did you post a pic Doug? It's not showing up for me.
    Right click the "x" and under properties you'll see the link, copy & paste it into the address bar. It'll show up then. Not sure why it's not otherwise.

Doug, do you have any pics of Yorman or Polanco?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Doug, do you have any pics of Yorman or Polanco?
    Weird that the picture isn't working for some. Its working on my computer. Anywho, check out this site from Jim Donten for tons of baseball pictures from Sarasota. He has some up from the Instructional League.

http://www.pbase.com/jwdonten/baseball

I believe this photo has Yorman in it. He was playing CF that day and Duran was playing RF and Duran is the guy making the catch, so I am guessing the guy standing behind Duran making the catch is Rodriguez.

http://www.pbase.com/jwdonten/image/104359033

Yeah, the picture wasn't working for me either. I couldn't even see a red X. I clicked the quote button and cut-and-paste the link. Since then, I'm able to see the photo on RedsZone.

Thanks Doug.

The picture still isn't showing up for me but I quoted your post and the link showed up...so I copied and pasted the link and was able to view the picture. Good stuff. Duran still has plenty of room to fill out.

edit - now the pic is showing up for me after I quoted your post.

Turn Off Ads?