Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anderson or Quinn?

Anderson or Quinn?

Alright guys, I love the Reds, but I'm a Browns fan. I know a majority of RZ posters are Bengals fans, that's why I want your outside opinion.

Are the Browns making the wrong decision by sticking with Derek Anderson? DA currently holds the WORST QB rating in the NFL. Yes, the Browns beat the Bengals 2 weeks ago, but with Carson the game would have been much different. That game was TERRIBLE on both sides.

Let's try to keep all the Bungle and Clown comments out of the discussion. I am just curious if the "outside world" thinks it's time for a change at QB for the Browns.

SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anderson or Quinn?

It is definitely time to get him some regular reps in so that he is geared up for a full time starting role next season.

I think also that Brady is the MAN

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I can't imagine Brady Quinn doing anything better for the Browns than is current being done by Derek Anderson.

Derek Anderson was an interception throwing machine in college and now that he has been figured out he is trying to be what he is not and that's a high percentage/low turnover passer. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I'd say Quinn should be given an opportunity, he was the superior college player and by far. He's going to have his bad days but I think he's a good pro QB in waiting and Derek Anderson is going to always be a high priced backup at best.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTBAG View Post
    Are the Browns making the wrong decision by sticking with Derek Anderson?
    As a Browns fans, they made a STUPID decision beginning last year (and I said it then) in giving Anderson that contract. But Romeo is gonna ride that Anderson wagon, because he was instrumental in retaining him.

They should have sold high!

On field conditions have to be perfect for Anderson to succeed. He's not a good improviser. He can throw the medium pass with accuracy; but short or long? Look out!

The Browns problem, since the season began, is the health of various key players. One is "dainty" Stallworth.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I can't imagine Brady Quinn doing anything better for the Browns than is current being done by Derek Anderson.
    Today? I agree.

But the Browns aren't in a position to worry about today. They're a flawed team that, quite frankly, isn't going to win the way they are currently built (a near carbon copy of the Bengals). We know what Anderson is; a decent QB that really has no middle ground. He's either great or awful.

Quinn may be better, and they essentially ruined two drafts (after the Thomas pick) to get him. He needs to play. He's the future 5 years down the road...they need to know if it's a good future or a bad one.
    Last edited by guttle11; 10-11-2008 at 04:33 PM.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I'm fairly sick of watching Derek throw 12 yard bullets into the ground 5 yards behind the receiver. He played just good enough against the 'Gals to keep starting; I'm afraid it will be that way the rest of the year.

I'm with GAC, they boo-booed on that contract, although isn't a real bad cap killer.

Still, I'll be woofin' somewhere on Monday night!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Ken Dorsey!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Actually, according to Peter King of si.com, the Browns can cut DA at the end of the year, and won't have to pay the rest of the contract. So there is a way for them to get out of it, only the first year is guaranteed.

With that being said, they need to bench him immediately. He's not the answer in the present, nor in the future. This season is all but over for the Brownies, might as well give Quinn some experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Actually, according to Peter King of si.com, the Browns can cut DA at the end of the year, and won't have to pay the rest of the contract. So there is a way for them to get out of it, only the first year is guaranteed.

With that being said, they need to bench him immediately. He's not the answer in the present, nor in the future. This season is all but over for the Brownies, might as well give Quinn some experience.
    You're rignt. I have also read that Quinn's incentives kick in if he plays 50% of teh snaps this year. Maybe the Browns are waiting to keep from shelling out cash to him too. I really hope they would be more concerned about winning them saving $$$ though.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    If that is true, then that is good news.

Signed for 5 yrs @ 20 mil with incentives that could take it to 30 mil.

We paid him last year to sit the bench while observing/learning. I have no problem with that.

Give the kid his chance and make Anderson the backup. Isn't Brady suppose to be the future? IMO, it's silly what they are currently doing up there.

He should have gotten some playing time vs the Bengals. At least a a quarter or two.

This is all Crennel's decision, and I'll be glad when he's shown the door too.

That was another extension that I thought was rash. He wasn't going anywhere. Let the '08 season determine if it was justified or not.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?