Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canseco's Car Searched By Authorities, Illegal Fertility Drugs Found

Canseco's Car Searched By Authorities, Illegal Fertility Drugs Found

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3637277

SAN DIEGO -- Jose Canseco was held for nearly 10 hours by immigration authorities after agents said they stopped the former baseball star as he attempted to bring a fertility drug from Mexico, his lawyer said Friday.

Canceco was detained at San Diego's San Ysidro border crossing Thursday after agents searched his vehicle and said they found human chorionic gonadotropin, which is illegal without a prescription, said his attorney, Gregory Emerson.

Emerson declined to say if Canseco -- who admitted to using steroids in a 2005 book that also alleged steroid use by other baseball players -- had the drug, which is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency for use in males. The drug helps restore production of testosterone lost in steroid users.

The New York Daily News earlier reported the stop.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Virginia Kice, said Canseco was ordered to appear in federal court in San Diego "related to an alleged smuggling violation" Thursday at a U.S. border crossing. She declined to elaborate.

Canseco has not been charged with a crime, Kice said. If he were to be charged, it would happen at his court appearance.

Emerson said Canseco was ordered to appear in court Tuesday.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection released Canseco after he agreed to allow ICE agents to search his Los Angeles-area home, Emerson said. About 10 ICE agents searched the home in the attorney's presence Friday as Canseco was returning from San Diego.

"They found nothing. They took nothing," Emerson said.

Authorities held Canseco for 9½ hours at the crossing across the border from Tijuana, Mexico, Emerson said.

"They said the only way Jose would be permitted to leave would be is if they allowed him to search his home," Emerson said. "If he had just even a little bit of (the drug), it doesn't seem it was worthy of the kind of treatment, which was really pretty harsh."

A CBP spokesman, Vince Bond, declined to comment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Canseco's Car Searched By Authorities, Illegal Fertility Drugs Found

Vindicated?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I blame Dusty Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I blame Dusty Baker
    So Do I, I also blame Dusty for the Dow Jones epic spiral downwards
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Hey, I'm just glad someone finally said it.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

maybe he's going for Wilt Chamberlain's illegitimate children record?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I blame Dusty Baker
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post

Hey, hey, hey! What's all this blaming Dusty? It is a long-standing RedsZone tradition to blame Bob Boone for all the ills of society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It looks like there was this program on A&E last night about how pathetic Jose Canseco and his life has become. Forgetting about all his other problems, I'm curious on how people feel about what he said about his books. Now he's sorry he wrote them. He said they were written cause he was mad at MLB.

So what does everyone think? Was it a good thing he wrote those books? I'm no Canseco fan but it did bring the subject out in the open.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba..._canseco_.html
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This seems contradictory:

Canseco was detained at San Diego's San Ysidro border crossing Thursday after agents searched his vehicle and said they found human chorionic gonadotropin, which is illegal without a prescription, said his attorney, Gregory Emerson.

Emerson declined to say if Canseco -- who admitted to using steroids in a 2005 book that also alleged steroid use by other baseball players -- had the drug, which is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency for use in males.
    I guess his attorney is admitting they found this hormone in his car but he's not admitting he "had" the drug??? Way to weasel talk your way around that, Counselor!

It's not illegal to get Rx drugs from Mexico. I've personally obtained Rx drugs from Mexico via El Paso but you do need a prescription from a Doctor. He needs to come up with a script for this from a Dr real quick

I saw that last night Chip. As a fan I'm glad he wrote the book 'cause it really has helped to clean up baseball. The 90s were making a mockery of the record book. I'm glad little guys like Brady Anderson and Bret Boone are no longer hitting 40-50 HRs. But I do see how it's been hard on Canseco. I don't think he's a saint but I also don't think anything he said in the book has been proven to be false either.

When fans wonder how multi-millionaire athletes can go broke, Canseco should be Exhibit 1.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Maybe #2 - I'm not sure anyone can surpass Mike Tyson in that regard

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    When fans wonder how multi-millionaire athletes can go broke, Canseco should be Exhibit 1.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I watched some of it. He said if he could, he would apologize to all those guys he outed in the book.

He seems to be prone to blaming others for whatever trouble he finds himself in still. That's a common trait with addicts.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Maybe #2 - I'm not sure anyone can surpass Mike Tyson in that regard
    Latrell Sprewell can give Mike Tyson a run for his money (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I saw that last night Chip. As a fan I'm glad he wrote the book 'cause it really has helped to clean up baseball. The 90s were making a mockery of the record book. I'm glad little guys like Brady Anderson and Bret Boone are no longer hitting 40-50 HRs. But I do see how it's been hard on Canseco. I don't think he's a saint but I also don't think anything he said in the book has been proven to be false either.
    I watched that as well.

I actually felt sorry for Jose during the portion where he was served a supoena while sitting alone in the stands at a minor league baseball game.

What a trainwreck his life has become.

Turn Off Ads?