Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Magicjack

Magicjack

I broke down and bought one last week.

I have been doing a lot of research on it via numerous reputable computer software sites, as well as other sources, and the reviews (opinions) were all very good.

I got a 30 day free trial, so I thought "What they hey!". It cost $40, and that is for the unit and the $20 first year service fee. I also took the five year option for an additional $58. But I won't be billed if I return it by the end of the 30 days.

It simply plugs into your USB port on your computer, while you plug your phone directly into the back of the unit. Once your computer recognizes it, you have some very simple setup steps to follow to activate it. You select the region of the country (state) and area code you're located in, and it then issues you a phone #. 911 is directly linked to you home address.

So far I am impressed. The connection and audio quality is very good IMO. I've had no problems. You have caller ID, voice mail, and numerous other options. It works through my answering machine. You can switch from either using your phone handset or use the control panel and operate it on the computer via your speakers and a mic.

I'm still investigating if it will utilize a fax machine, which I have.

I did have several questions though, and they have a chat technical support system that did a good job in assisting me, and answering any questions I may have had.

AND IT WASN'T LOCATED IN INDIA!

But we're talking $20/year for unlimited calls anywhere in the U.S. or Canada.

So I'm going to give it a shot for the next 30 days and see how it goes.

I'd love to tell Embarq to take a flying leap!
    Last edited by GAC; 10-12-2008 at 11:00 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Magicjack

I had Vonage for work, it sucked, I no longer have Vonage for work.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I got the Magic Stick...(whut whut)
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Do you have to have phone service in addition to this? If not, do they give you a new phone number?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Do you have to have phone service in addition to this? If not, do they give you a new phone number?
    From GAC's post:
    You select the region of the country (state) and area code you're located in, and it then issues you a phone #.

What GoReds said is correct. You will be issued a new number within your area code.

You have to have high-speed internet. It will not work with dial-up.

Drawbacks?....

For the Magicjack to be active (phone to work) your computer must be on at all times. You turn the computer off, the phone will not work. If the computer is off, then all incoming calls will automatically go to your voice mail.

If you lose power, then you will lose your phone service. But that is a problem with all digital phone service that runs through your computer. That's why we also have cell phones.

We had our power flash briefly this morning. The phone service came back and worked, but the audio was breaking up. This also happened when we first initially activated it. They instruct you to reboot your modem (which I did), and it then worked fine.

The audio clarity though is very good.

They also, periodically, have updates for the software on their website.

Like I said... we have 30 days to try this thing out for free before they will bill me. But if we elect to take this service it would save me approximately $500/year.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-12-2008 at 09:20 PM.

The MagicJack experiment has come to an end.

The audio clarity wouldn't stay consistent. I had to keep rebooting the modem every few days inwhich it would then work fine for a day or two, but then deteriorate again. Got to be a hassle.

Turn Off Ads?