Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayor Mark Mallory's comments

Mayor Mark Mallory's comments

Says we should support the Bengals even though theyre 0-6, come down support the team, says Pittsburgh fans are there for their team we must support our team.

Please, seriously, honestly Mark, until you learn how to throw a baseball then I'll do what you say, you throw like a girl.

[youtube]sVMiJdHTfUo[/youtube]

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mayor Mark Mallory's comments

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Says we should support the Bengals even though theyre 0-6, come down support the team, says Pittsburgh fans are there for their team we must support our team.

Please, seriously, honestly Mark, until you learn how to throw a baseball then I'll do what you say, you throw like a girl.

[youtube]sVMiJdHTfUo[/youtube]

The look on ED's face cracks me up every time.

Does he really think fans of an 0-6 team should be as excited about an upcoming game as their 4-1 opponents? Yeah. Sure. I'll get right on that.

All this sounds like an awful homecoming pep rally from high school. "Sure, we might be 0-6, and they might be 4-1, but we're going to show our Bengal spirit on Sunday!!"
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

What, precisely, do you expect him to say? Bengals Sundays are a boon to the city's economy in a lot of different ways. Should he tell people to stay home?

Seriously, of all the stupid things out there in Bengaldom, this is what you pick to complain about?

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Seriously, of all the stupid things out there in Bengaldom, this is what you pick to complain about?
    Of all the stupid things in Cincinnati, why did Mark Mallory decide to make an announcement to show up at a Bengals game instead of, say, a fundraiser for inner-city youth?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Of all the stupid things in Cincinnati, why did Mark Mallory decide to make an announcement to show up at a Bengals game instead of, say, a fundraiser for inner-city youth?
    Is there a fundraiser for inner city youth occurring at the same time as the Bengals game?

Furthermore, why does anyone give a crap what Mallory says about a Bengals game?

Sometimes I think Cincinnatians just live to ***** and complain.

Eric Davis face is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Is there a fundraiser for inner city youth occurring at the same time as the Bengals game?
    If there was I know I would be more entertained going to that than sitting at home and watching the Bengals get destroyed.

I don't believe he made an announcement. I think it was a question posed to him at his regular weekly media session. I really don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up about this. Who cares? The city has made tremendous strides under Mayor Mallory and to hear so many clueless morons I've heard on the radio the past couple days personally attacking the mayor because of this comment is really sad..
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I don't believe he made an announcement. I think it was a question posed to him at his regular weekly media session. I really don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up about this. Who cares? The city has made tremendous strides under Mayor Mallory and to hear so many clueless morons I've heard on the radio the past couple days personally attacking the mayor because of this comment is really sad..
    I completely agree. This level of ignorant nitpicking does no one any good.
    Last edited by Playadlc; 10-16-2008 at 03:21 AM.

the Mayor needs to worry about more important issues like why we can only afford to buy half the salt needed to keep our streets cleaned during the winter instead of telling fans to support a greedy football owner.

the Mayor needs to worry about more important issues like why we can only afford to buy half the salt needed to keep our streets cleaned during the winter instead of telling fans to support a greedy football owner.
    Hmmm, economic decline at the moment, jobs lost and with them city tax revenues. It's not unique to Cincinnati; states, counties and cities are all facing the same situation. BTW, it's possible Cincinnati may have made a similar announcement, but as I recall, it was Hamilton County which said they were going to buy half as much salt as last season. Likewise, I don't recall whether the county works off the calendar year or a fiscal year, but if it's the calendar year, I would say that a good chunk of their budget for salt was used up in the blizzard earlier in the year. If it's a fiscal year, then that would be a moot point. But again, I'm certain tax revenues are down (purchases are down, no sales tax; housing has collapsed and with it property taxes, etc.).

All in all, it makes much sense for the mayor to encourage folks to come down to town for a game - it helps pay for the salt.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

For a Level Playing Field

I am not a politician. I am not an employee of the Bengals. I do not work for the Mayor. However....

Wouldn't the city and/or county make more money (to buy salt) if people bought tickets, concessions and merchandise during Bengals home games? If so, isn't Mayor Mallory doing the right thing? I am not sure if the city/county makes more money if the Bengals sellout compared to say 30,000 people at a game. Or does Mike Brown get every penny spent by the fans while at the Bengals games (incl. parking, hotels, etc, etc)? Can someone who knows more than me please let me know? Thanks.

I'm pretty certain the mayor isn't sitting in his office all day analyzing ways to improve the Bengals and get fans to come to the games and forwarding them on to Mike Brown. It was a simple, irrelevant, supportive comment. Cincinnati has a long history of comical politicians but Mayor Mallory is not one of them..
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Turn Off Ads?