Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My journey into the 21st century

Re: My journey into the 21st century

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Hey glad to see I'm not the only one with FULL albums on my IPOD.

Full albums + "shuffle" button on Ipod=hours of great listening uninterupted.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I can't bring myself to use the shuffle feature. I just pull up the albums and listen to them straight through the way they were meant to be listened to. To each his own though. I'm home right now and I've been scouring the house for CDs I might have missed. I found another 6 in a box in the basement, stuff I haven't listened to in years.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Regarding texting:

Just yesterday I had a kid on a bicycle (appeared to be about 12 or 13) peddle through an interesection against a green light. If I hadn't slamed on the brakes he would have never finished that text; thank goodness there was no one behind me.

California has done the prudent thing and outlawed talking on hand-held cell phones. Next up: texting while driving.

Rem

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Regarding texting:

Just yesterday I had a kid on a bicycle (appeared to be about 12 or 13) peddle through an interesection against a green light. If I hadn't slamed on the brakes he would have never finished that text; thank goodness there was no one behind me.

California has done the prudent thing and outlawed talking on hand-held cell phones. Next up: texting while driving.

Rem
    I've seen some bizarre stuff on the roads. Looking down into cars can be scary sometimes. The whole hand held phone thing baffles me. If you can afford a cell phone, surely you can afford a bluetooth device. Some of them are pretty inexpensive right now. I have a bluetooth and voice activated dialing. I hardly even have to touch the phone while I'm driving. I'm getting to the point where I think maybe they should start making cell phones without a speaker and sell them with an accompanying ear piece so the only way you can use it is hands free.

But the texting thing is beyond me. Why in the world do you need to do that when you can talk to the person?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Pikers.
    Last edited by RFS62; 10-16-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    But the texting thing is beyond me. Why in the world do you need to do that when you can talk to the person?
    My daughter at college was texting me, and after 2 I called her. I asked why Text, when we can talk.... Her response... " I don't know, just what I was doing, so I just texted you."

I'd much rather hear her voice than get a cryptic line of letters that I have to decypher!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    Around here, a GPS will occasionally take you down a goat path unfit for any vehicle that cannot compete in the Baja 1000.
    ...or into the path of a speeding train.

I actually like texting...much preferred over voice mail.

Kind of got used to it when that was the ONLY WAY to make contact with family and friends after Katrina.

Tho I send/receive only dozens in a month rather than hundreds, and I don't use a lot of the shorthand. During a busy day, I'd rather text someone "dinner tonight?" or "i'm running late" than leave a voice mail. Even "call me" rather than leaving voice mail.

I use it sort of like a portable email, I guess.

I have NO INTEREST in getting a GPS device. I like using maps/mapquest/google maps, etc.

Sometimes you are in an area where you can't make a call or you are in roaming and texting is better. Other times you are in a noisy place and you can't hear the person calling. Also you may not want to get a call because you don't want your phone to ring. Perhaps you are over your minutes for the month and a text message doesn't cost you anything. Sometimes texting is just more convienent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    My daughter at college was texting me, and after 2 I called her. I asked why Text, when we can talk.... Her response... " I don't know, just what I was doing, so I just texted you."

I'd much rather hear her voice than get a cryptic line of letters that I have to decypher!
    My 72 year old father texts more than me or my brother combined, it's how he keeps up with my younger sister that's for sure. I like to text to avoid the phone call, I talk enough on the phone at work myself, so sometimes texting just gets the facts in and the rest out of the way.

Mostly because I don't actually want to talk to that person.

As WOY pointed out, I spend my whole work day talking on the phone to people I'd really don't care about. So hopping on the phone and just chatting away doesn't really apeal to me after 5:00pm.

Besides, it's WAY faster to text someone. You can get the info too them in about 3 seconds and it's done. "Hey, meet me in the lobby in 20 minutes"...blamo done.

If you call, you have to dial the number, wait for it to ring, get their voice mail because they are on the phone, listen to their long-winded message explaining every detail of where they are and how to contact them, then finally get to leave a message that says, "hey, meet me in the lobby in 20 minutes".

Then that poor fool has to go check his voice mail, dial the numbers, listen to your message and then call you back. Likely they will get your voicemail and repeat the process.

No YOU have to go through all the steps to listen to their message to hear "ok".

A text is simply far more effecient and precludes the useless chatter that can erupt during a phone conversation.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 10-17-2008 at 10:41 AM.

I suspect you've got a couple extra years on me, but just a couple. I once thought this way. There are times when you want a short burst of communication and it's all one way.

My kid got home safe...a text can tell me that at a concert without making me leave the hall.
    My family wants to encourage me about a contest...a text can do that without interrupting my preperation.

It's a one way communication. It's limited in scope. It's temporarily archived. It's not a replacement for a real conversation over a phone. It's something...a bit different.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

The best use I've ever had for my GPS was when I traveled to Hawaii. The roads there generally have these huge Polynesian names that are very difficult to pronounce, let alone remember so rather than try to get directions from someone I just plugged in my destination and let the GPS direct me. Not every city is a grid with a Main St and a 1st, 2nd 3rd street...
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 10-17-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I suspect you've got a couple extra years on me, but just a couple. I once thought this way. There are times when you want a short burst of communication and it's all one way.

My kid got home safe...a text can tell me that at a concert without making me leave the hall.
    My family wants to encourage me about a contest...a text can do that without interrupting my preperation.

It's a one way communication. It's limited in scope. It's temporarily archived. It's not a replacement for a real conversation over a phone. It's something...a bit different.

I'm above the avg age of users of this site but I enjoy texting. It saves me the fluff talk and gets right to the point. It also leaves everything in writing. If my office tells me I have a 9am appt tomorrow I won't show up at 10am and have an argument over what I was told. My parents tend to have long, drawn out conversations. It's rare to have a sub 30min phone call with them. Sometimes I don't have 30 minutes to spare so I text them what I need to have covered like what time is dinner?...

I recently ordered a GPS for myself off of EBay. It is coming from China. I don't know how many on here have ordered from China, but tracking through EMS has been frustrating. I think they may need that GPS more than I do. I spent around 100 bucks for it and it had free shipping so I'm not going to complain. It is an OEM GPS. I would have never thought about gettting one if I had not used my brother's one day. I'm not afraid of being lost, and I have driven delivery trucks and worked for TWC enough to find my way around. Its just a convenience thing. After having to use maps and such for work, I want to be able to just go on my free time.

While I'm on this subject, does anyone have any experience dealing with EMS tracking? I used the tracking number at USPS and all it says is foreign acceptance. I expected shipping to take a little longer because of customs, but not being able to track it too often is getting to me. EMS China gave me this bit of insight:

2008-10-15 17:45:00 City of Beijing Posting
    2008-10-15 17:47:00 shangdiyingyunbu Despatch from Sorting Center

Where the heck is shangdiyingyumbu anyway? USPS says:

Your item was accepted on October 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I'm pulling my hair out right now from just not knowing. My how all this technology has made us impatient. Remember when you just waited for a package to arrive, or when you had to mail off something to get a package back. That took forever.
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 10-17-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Turn Off Ads?