Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griffey has knee surgery in Cincinnati

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Griffey has knee surgery in Cincinnati

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...615&type=story

Griffey has left knee surgery, performed by Reds' team doctor
    ESPN.com news services

Ken Griffey Jr. on Tuesday had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, which bothered him for most of the 2008 season.

The surgery was performed by Chicago White Sox outfielder Cincinnati Reds' team doctor.

This season, Griffey had the knee drained twice while he was with the Reds and once after his trade to the White Sox.

Griffey's knee troubles could be the source of his dip in home runs last season. He hit 30 in 428 at-bats in the 2007 season but just 18 in 528 at-bats in 2008.

"There's no question," Dr. Tim Kremchek said, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "It affected that push-off leg. How much I don't know. But he was dealing with it all year. There's not much you can do early in the season."

Griffey will be a free agent this offseason, if as expected, the White Sox decline his $16 million option for the 2009 season. He has said he would like to continue playing next season.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: Griffey has knee surgery in Cincinnati

That explains a lot about his 2008 season. Maybe he isn't over the hill yet? It amazed me that he fell off that much. I'll bet 2009 will be a good year for Junior.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    That explains a lot about his 2008 season. Maybe he isn't over the hill yet? It amazed me that he fell off that much. I'll bet 2009 will be a good year for Junior.

I doubt it. This sounds like a recurring problem. Even with the surgery, you can't think it's going to be 100%.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Almost every player drops off significantly around his current age. Sans maybe PED babies and a few freaks of nature (Pete, Nolan etc.). So I don't expect it will help him much if at all.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

With all of the other leg issues he's had, this is just one more thing to add to it

I think it's reasonable to expect that if the surgery goes well, Griffey would hit more than 18 homers next season. Maybe not a lot more, but more. Especially if he's on a contender.

The best situation for him to have a good year is being a DH that doesn't start against left handed starter. If he does that I bet he has an OPS north of .850. Will one of the 14 AL team give him that chance? That seems unlikely.

I love Griffey with all of my heart, but the year he had had a lot more to do with his age than it did his leg, IMO. I just can't see him being anymore productive next year, as much as it pains me to say it

There are not many 39 year old home run hitters hitting home runs. Just face it Jr.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

The place, IMO, is Tampa for Griffey so he can DH and be close to Orlando, but I don't see where he fits.

He's not going to be playing for a loser, that's for sure.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits View Post
    The best situation for him to have a good year is being a DH that doesn't start against left handed starter. If he does that I bet he has an OPS north of .850. Will one of the 14 AL team give him that chance? That seems unlikely.
    IMO any team that wants Jr either wants him for a playoff team or for a boost in attendance. If Seattle signed him I would imagine that would be for the fans. If you were a playoff team would you want an entire year of Jr? If you put him out there opening day what would the odds be that he would be productive come October?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO any team that wants Jr either wants him for a playoff team or for a boost in attendance. If Seattle signed him I would imagine that would be for the fans. If you were a playoff team would you want an entire year of Jr? If you put him out there opening day what would the odds be that he would be productive come October?
    I think Seattle is the only team that could get an attendance boost from a Griffey signing. And even then it probably wouldn't be much of a boost. Maybe in April it would help, but as the season continued, the M's continued their dreadful play, and the fans realized that it was 2009 and not 1993, I think very few would go out of their way to watch an aging Griffey on a poor team.

Not suprising, but...

SI.Com has reported that the White Sox will not be bringing Griffey back next season.

I wonder what kind of numbers Griffey would put up as a full time DH.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I wonder what kind of numbers Griffey would put up as a full time DH.
    Probably nothing spectacular, b/c in order for Griffey to be an effective full-time DH, Griffey will only face RHP.

Turn Off Ads?