Turn Off Ads?

Thread: iPhone

I'm toolsy.

iPhone

Just got an iPhone today so I thought I would start a thread about it. Anyone else have experience with these? Any tips or tricks to share? Good applications for download? Sites for ringtones and wallpapers?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: iPhone

I've had my iphone for about a year now, but I'm not the one to ask about all the bells and whistles.

I do like having internet access in most of the places that I go to. I really like the texting feature.

One thing I have noticed, is that if you do any amount of air travel and you put the phone in "plane" mode, you actually use up more battery than if you just put the phone on "vibrate".

I also use the calendar, weather and camera a lot, although the camera desperately needs a flash.

Enjoy!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I've had the 3G since mid-July. Love it.

Wallpapers are easy... you can set up a folder on your computer with photos and have iTunes sync to it, and once the images are on your computer, you can use any of them as the home wallpaper. Ringtones aren't as simple. Apple officially has two means of getting ringtones onto your iPhone -- pay 99 cents to turn an iTunes song purchase into a ringtone, or, if you're a Mac user, you can use GarageBand to create one. But if you Google something like "iPhone ringtones Windows MP3," you'll find a workaround that will let Windows users turn MP3s into ringtones, in essence manually replicating the steps a Mac user would use GarageBand for.

I've downloaded a whole bunch of free stuff from the App Store but haven't felt compelled to pay for anything yet. Oops, I take that back. I spent 99 cents on "Koi Pond" because it fascinates the kids. Out of all my apps, I use Sportacular the most.

One very large feature, the one that made me comfortable spending the money, is the ability to hook into corporate Exchange e-mail. I have a home office, and this makes it easier on me to unhook from the computer during the day and I know I won't miss anything. I have my calendar set up to sync with Exchange, but my contacts sync with my personal laptop. I like being able to split that up, and not have it all-or-nothing with Exchange.

One more tip: I've heard that if you go into settings and turn Location Services off when you don't need it, it helps battery life quite a bit.

Oh yeah, and it has a phone and an iPod and stuff.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 10-16-2008 at 12:20 AM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I'm toolsy.

The only thing I'm struggling with so far is when downloading fromteh App Store, I am being asked for a username and password and I have no ideaa what that is. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    The only thing I'm struggling with so far is when downloading fromteh App Store, I am being asked for a username and password and I have no ideaa what that is. Any suggestions?
    I know that with a normal computer you have to go into iTunes and create an account. It doesn't take long. I would assume that it transfers over.

I just got one of these.

Can't get the camera to work at all. Any help would be appreciated.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I just got one of these.

You need to remember to hold this next to the phone.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I know that with a normal computer you have to go into iTunes and create an account. It doesn't take long. I would assume that it transfers over.
    Correct, you have to use your iTunes account login to get stuff from the App Store.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I just got one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    You need to remember to hold this next to the phone.

Sweet. I paid about a thousand bucks for that phone when it came out. My rivals with the bag phones were soooooo jealous.

Used a Polaroid for many years too.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

RF's first phone

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    RF's first phone

Yeah, but he dated Betty too. She was the bomb.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I just got one of these.

I used to have a phone like that. I think it's # 6 to call in an airstrike....

Yeah, but he dated Betty too. She was the bomb.
    Wait...RFS lost Betty to Barney Rubble?!?!

RFS...say it ain't so pal??
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Wait...RFS lost Betty to Barney Rubble?!?!

RFS...say it ain't so pal??

Lost? I think not.

I moved on to Ann Margrock.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?