Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

96 61.94%
  • Neftali Soto

28 18.06%
  • Todd Frazier

18 11.61%
  • Drew Stubbs

7 4.52%
  • Chris Valaika

6 3.87%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Tough call but I voted Alonso. I look for all five of those mentioned to have significant major league careers. On the pitching question, I love Lotzkar but as an old guy who is both attuned to the newer metrics and believes in looking at the players, I still worry about his mechanics. He's too young to get put into polls for this or that best prospect but I think the highest ceilinged pitcher we have is Hildenbrandt--unless Pedro Viola finds a solid third pitch. That's the one thing all Rzers should be praying for.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    How u doin

none of them best prospect Devin Mesoraco.

Is it OK with everyone if I go ahead and start the next thread now or should I wait another day?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except that saying Alonso could be the Reds best prospect is believing in scouting reports. Saying Stubbs was a bust before he played a game in the minors is not really like that.
    Doug you know way more about minor league baseball than I do but I have a question. How many professional at bats are the scouting reports on Alonso based upon?

Except that saying Alonso could be the Reds best prospect is believing in scouting reports. Saying Stubbs was a bust before he played a game in the minors is not really like that.
    Except there where scouting reports out there that said Stubbs bat was suspect back then.

I want to see what Alonso can do in regular season play over a full season

Not what he can do in the Hawaiian fall league over a couple weeks

Guys, I went ahead and started the next thread. This one is a blowout. The others should be closer so I'll make sure to keep them open for the full two days.

Here's the link to the next thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72166

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    Except there where scouting reports out there that said Stubbs bat was suspect back then.
    There is a difference between believing a scouting report that says a guy is good and saying prove it and a scouting report saying a guy has problems making contact and already yelling bust. Scouting reports do change over time, especially with young players. Thing is, they generally get better, not worse (unless there is an injury). So when people yelled bust with Stubbs, its as if they had no hope that he could improve at all. Its not really the same thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Doug you know way more about minor league baseball than I do but I have a question. How many professional at bats are the scouting reports on Alonso based upon?
    I have a scouting report on Yonder Alonso based on professional at bats. He doesn't have many, but professional at bats doesn't change things like bat speed, swing plane, plate discipline, contact ability due to pitch recognition.... things that Alonso is rated very highly in.

I have a scouting report on Yonder Alonso based on professional at bats. He doesn't have many, but professional at bats doesn't change things like bat speed, swing plane, plate discipline, contact ability due to pitch recognition.... things that Alonso is rated very highly in.
    Might wanna keep on eye on that contact ability as he gets higher through his levels, at least where the yacker is concerned.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Might wanna keep on eye on that contact ability as he gets higher through his levels, at least where the yacker is concerned.
    Very true, although the ability to recognize pitches, which he has shown is top notch, will certainly help him there.

Very true, although the ability to recognize pitches, which he has shown is top notch, will certainly help him there.
    That's good, it's one of the most underrated talents/skillsets in baseball. If you can actually recognize a pitch and have the ability to make an instant adjustment you can be an absolute monster. I would imagine people would be surprised at just how many guys in MLB do not have this talent or at least don't use it very well if at all.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?