Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

96 61.94%
  • Neftali Soto

28 18.06%
  • Todd Frazier

18 11.61%
  • Drew Stubbs

7 4.52%
  • Chris Valaika

6 3.87%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

If you remember, a couple years ago we created polls and voted on the Reds top ten prospects. I don't think we did this last season, but I thought it was a lot of fun a couple years ago and would like to do it again. It doesn't just have to be the top ten, we can do top 20 or even 30. I'll go ahead and list the obvious candidates for #1. As we go along you guys can recommend prospects you want added to the poll.

Here is the original thread started by chicoruiz:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53546

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

I'll go with Yonder Alonso in a slight edge over Neftali Soto.

Resident PED Expert

I go with Soto over Alonso for the fact he's 19, Right handed and can play multipule postions. I think his growth as a hitter had tons of room for improvment (scary)vs Alonso might be a more finished product.

It's easily Alonso IMO. Soto is raw, Frazier can't play good defense anywhere to make his polished bat valuable enough, and Stubbs/Valaika just aren't that good...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't think we did this last season, but I thought it was a lot of fun a couple years ago and would like to do it again.

Here is the original thread started by chicoruiz:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53546
    Doug did create a series of polls last November in the Minor League Forum that went to the Top 40. I think we should do it again. I will go with Alonso.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 10-16-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yonder Alonso by a nose over Soto. His advanced bat at the higher levels gives him the edge currently.

Soto - 2 minor league seasons.

Alonso - 6 games.

I realize that Alonso may have the pedigree and have been the 7th pick in the draft but he still has yet to prove anything to me. Until he picks up a wooden bat against professionals I wouldn't rank him above Soto, Stubbs, or Frazier.

I'm going with Yonder Alonso, too, but my contradictory nature considered Juan Duran.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Soto - 2 minor league seasons.

Alonso - 6 games.

I realize that Alonso may have the pedigree and have been the 7th pick in the draft but he still has yet to prove anything to me. Until he picks up a wooden bat against professionals I wouldn't rank him above Soto, Stubbs, or Frazier.
    Alonso is tearing it up in the Hawaiian Winter League right now to the tune of .280/.438/.560. Small sample size of course, but he comes from a school that has a list a mile long of good major leaguers and his scouting reports looks fantastic.

I find it interesting that Homer isn't listed as an option (he wouldn't be my #1 fwiw) and nobody has said boo about at this point. My how far has his star fallen? I wonder if he'll be considered by the Reds #1 prospect by BA, etc... even though most of redszone wouldn't list him as #1.

I really liked what I saw out of Soto when I saw him earlier this year, so I'll go w/ him for now, however I like everything I've read and seen of Yonder to this point. Just not enough of it in professional ball for me to put him #1 yet.

Actually after thinking about it another minute, I'll put Yonder #1. Stubbs is likely the closest to the majors of that group, but Yonder is probably the 2nd closest, and most likely to make a big impact. I'd put Frasier close behind due to his proximity to the majors over Soto, then Soto, then Stubbs, then Valakia. Although honestly, I could see any of these 5 as making the biggest impact in the majors over the others. Gotta like the depth.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I find it interesting that Homer isn't listed as an option (he wouldn't be my #1 fwiw) and nobody has said boo about at this point. My how far has his star fallen? I wonder if he'll be considered by the Reds #1 prospect by BA, etc... even though most of redszone wouldn't list him as #1.

I really liked what I saw out of Soto when I saw him earlier this year, so I'll go w/ him for now, however I like everything I've read and seen of Yonder to this point. Just not enough of it in professional ball for me to put him #1 yet.
    Homer will be in their top 3-5 but I doubt anyone has him as the Reds #1 prospect.

Yonder and Soto 1-2 for me. I don't really care what order you put them.

Soto has walked 22 times in 437 minor league at bats. He isn't a plus defensive prospect. I doubt any publication will rank him as the Reds top one or two prospect. Lower in the top ten, yes.

After Alonso, there is no sure fire prospect in the organization. I think Frazier is the closest with his advanced bat, although his lack of a clear defensive position is an issue.

Stubbs has the defense and emerging offense to probably be number 3.

Then you can talk about Soto with some others.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-16-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Have to go with Alonso. His numbers in college were just too good to ignore. For some reason though, I see Frazier putting up the best numbers next year. Don't forget about Thompson either. His season up to and including that game against the Yankees was nothing short of phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Soto will be the number one or two prospect on RedsZone. And nowhere else.
    Do you think everywhere else will have Bailey 1 or 2?

Turn Off Ads?