Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neftali Soto

37 33.94%
  • Todd Frazier

46 42.20%
  • Drew Stubbs

13 11.93%
  • Juan Duran

4 3.67%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Chris Valaika

1 0.92%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

1 0.92%
  • Devin Mesoraco

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

3 2.75%
  • Zach Stewart

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

0 0%
  • Daryl Thompson

2 1.83%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Josh Roenicke

0 0%
  • Ramon Ramirez

1 0.92%
  • Chris Dickerson

1 0.92%
  • Zach Cozart

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Yonder Alonso won in a landslide for the Reds #1 prospect. Since it wasn't close I'll go ahead start the poll for #2.

Redszone's Top Prospects:

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso, 1B

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Ramon Ramirez will be a BOR starter at the minimum for the Reds last year. He went from AA to having an impressive September for the Reds last year. He gets my vote.

I went with Neftali Soto with Todd Frazier a fairly close second. I just love the potential and production that Soto has shown at age 19. He's got enormous potential IMO with his quick bat speed, ability to drive the ball to all fields, and a long and wiry frame that will allow him to develop plus power. The ball just jumps off his bat and he makes consistent hard contact. In a couple years he could be the big right handed power bat we're looking for.

Soto is my #1

Frazier is my #2

Valiaka #3

Stubbs #4

Justin Turner #5

Alonso is somewhere in the top 5 this time next year if he does well this coming season.

Over the past few years it seems like the Reds have produced left handed bat after left handed bat. Adam Dunn, Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Ben Broussard, Chris Dickerson, Josh Hamilton via Rule-5 trade, and Griffey via trade. Now things seem to be changing a bit. Yeah we just drafted lefty Yonder Alonso and have a couple powerful lefty bats in Juan Francisco and Danny Dorn, but right handed bats seem to be becoming the strength of the minor league system. Neftali Soto, Todd Frazier, Chris Valaika, and Drew Stubbs are all right handed, though the latter two aren't power hitters, not yet anyway. Recent International signees, Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez, are both right handed hitters. 2008 sixth rounder Alex Buchholz is another interesting RH bat. That's a nice combination of balance and depth.

I had to go with Frazier. I've not yet seen him play, but his stats, and scouting evaluations lead me to believe that he's got something special. I hope to see him up here after Spring 2010.

I voted Dorn, but am torn between him and Valaika. So many are high on Frazier, but the Reds seem not to know what position he can best play. He is definately not a SS or 2B. Unless he can play maybe 3rd, or OF successfully down the road, where does he fit? Those positions are potentially crowded...

I'm not enamored with the potential of any of the higher level-'spects, so I went with the pitcher with the most upside--Kyle Lotzkar...

Frazier without a doubt.

there are two sides to baseball, offense, and defense, so after selecting Yonder, the guy that I believe has the best bat in the system, I'll take the best glove. Gimme some Drew Stubbs here, since none of the arms are better than him.

tough vote for me because I like Soto, but Frazier has just been so solid -- the so-called "intangibles" make Frazier pretty much a sure thing, while I don't know anything about Soto other than that he can really hit... Frazier in a photo finish

Soto has walked 22 times in 437 at bats. As he climbs the ladder, this could be a problem.

Frazier for number 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Soto has walked 22 times in 437 at bats. As he climbs the ladder, this could be a problem.
    How many times are we going to go through this? How come you're willing to look past Juan Francisco's awful plate discipline and crucify Soto for his low walk total? Yeah, Soto doesn't walk a whole lot right now but he's only 19 and has just 437 professional atbats under his belt. It's not like he's some big hacker who will chase anything. From what I've read, his lack of walks comes from him having good plate coverage and solid contact skills. He's spent the majority of his young pro career in tough environments for hitters and has managed to post a .327/.360/.522 - .882 statline. That's very impressive IMO.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-18-2008 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    How many times are we going to go through this? How come you're willing to look past Juan Francisco's awful plate discipline and crucify Soto for his low walk total? Yeah, Soto doesn't walk a whole lot right now but he's only 19 and has just 437 professional atbats under his belt. It's not like he's some big hacker who will chase anything. From what I've read, his lack of walks comes from him having good plate coverage and solid contact skills. He's spent the majority of his young pro career in tough environments for hitters and has managed to post a .327/.360/.522 - .882 statline. That's very impressive IMO.
    Not looking past Francisco's plate discipline. Soto is a better prospect right now. But Francisco's huge power production in a pitcher's High-A league at age 20-21 shouldn't be overlooked either.

I like Frazier as number two. I think he's the second best overall offensive threat in the organization. I expect a huge season from Frazier at AA next year. I wish they would settle on a position for him.

As I've said, I have Stubbs at 3 and Soto as number 4.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-18-2008 at 12:32 AM.

I like Soto's upside. What he's doing at age 19 is far superior than anyone in the minor leagues for the Reds.

My second choice is Frazier.

Turn Off Ads?