Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Martin could be available??

Russell Martin could be available??

per mlbtraderumors:
    "This one surprised me, but Sherman throws a new name as a possibility on the trade market: Russell Martin. Sherman cites rival executives in saying that the Dodgers aren't "enamored with his makeup" and that with front line catchers being hot commodities, the Dodgers could explore the market to see what Martin could bring in return. Personally, I think moving Martin would be a mistake, but I have to admit, Martin would indeed fetch a very nice return."

What about him as a catcher for the reds?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Russell Martin could be available??

Sure.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

DeWitt will be going back to 3B with Casey Blake going back to Cleveland, so LA will need a 2B.

Brandon Phillips, start lookin' for property in LA.

I hear it's a buyer's market.

I'd go Phillips and EdE for Martin. I don't think that gets it done, but that's a pretty subsantial offer, IMO. (I'd expect a low level prospect/ suspect along with Martin, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd go Phillips and EdE for Martin. I don't think that gets it done, but that's a pretty subsantial offer, IMO. (I'd expect a low level prospect/ suspect along with Martin, though.)

i'm glad your not the GM of the team. martin is a good player but thats way to much for him.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    DeWitt will be going back to 3B with Casey Blake going back to Cleveland, so LA will need a 2B.

Brandon Phillips, start lookin' for property in LA.

I hear it's a buyer's market.
    Why do you think Blake is going back to Cleveland? Did you read this somewhere, if so do you have a link?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

They do not need EE as they seemingly plan on playing DeWitt there, thus why they don't plan on signing any FA 3B types or re-signing Blake. They appear to be after pitching in FA along with Furcal and maybe Manny. I could see where BP could fit them (Kent is a FA and will be 40) and as much as I hate to lose Brandon that's a "nearly have to" deal depending on if they want more and what that more is.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Dodgers would be crazy to deal Martin.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Dodgers would be crazy to deal Martin.
    I agree. That guy is the heart and soul of their team. If they DO decide to move him though, the Reds better be in the conversation. If there's even a slim possibility that we could land the best catcher in the game at age 26 for prospects, we absolutely have to do it. That guy solves multiple problems for us: Catching, Right-handed pop, OBP, AND he steals bases! We'd be the only team in baseball who could double steal when their catcher and first baseman are on the bags. I'm sure this is just another rumor... why do I let these things get me worked up? Mmmmm...donuts.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Why do you think Blake is going back to Cleveland? Did you read this somewhere, if so do you have a link?
    I'm trying to find where I heard that Casey Blake has a gentleman's agreement to return to Cleveland in the offseason.

IIRC, it was said during a Dodgers game I was watching.

I'll see if I can find it, if not my mind's playing games on me.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Phillips alone would likely bring in Martin, if the Dodgers decided to move him.

Which I doubt.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...urn=mlb,107553

That's what I found re: Casey Blake going back to Cleveland.

Apparently there have been written reports, aside from commentary during ballgames.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/200...t_the_dea.html

They signed Blake to a one-year, $6.1 million deal in February to avoid arbitration. No one is going to starve on that kind of money, but the key to the deal was its length, not its monetary value.

If the Indians wanted Blake to stick around past 2008, they could have added a club option for 2009. A one-year deal, however, carries a different meaning.

"I was hoping for something [multiyear] because I like it here," Blake said, "but my gut feeling was they'd do a one-year deal. They've got a lot of issues to deal with -- C.C. and some other things."

This is not to say the Indians won't re-sign Blake after this year. But would it be as a 35-year-old third baseman or as a utility player? The Indians still don't know if Andy Marte is a big-league third baseman, but prospect Wes Hodges has been impressive and Beau Mills, last year's No.¤1 pick, can play third.

In Sabathia's situation, free agency may look like a shining path paved with stones of gold. Blake, who spent seven years bouncing from Toronto to Minnesota to Baltimore and back to Minnesota before getting a chance in Cleveland, knows the great unknown isn't always that great.

"I don't know if I get too excited about free agency," Blake said. "I'm familiar with this organization, they're familiar with me. They know what they have in me as a player.

"I like loyalty in this game. I'm not a huge fan of guys bouncing around from team to team, but you have to do what you have to do sometimes."

BTW if YOU do want Martin it's not just what you'll be giving it will be also what you'll be getting:
    Colletti will also need to resolve the futures of unproductive veteran outfielders Juan Pierre (.246 EqA), who has three years and $28.5 million remaining on his five-year, $44 million deal, and Andruw Jones (.170), who is owed $22.1 million on the two-year, $36 million pact that he signed as a free agent last winter.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=8225

These threads are always interesting if frustrating.

Let's try it this way:

IF Martin were truly made available, what would need to be put together to fetch him? I would assume, if LA were really to do this, they have in-house help in terms of replacing him. They DO need a 2b, and we do have Philliips, so that seems a potential match.

Would Phillips for Martin straight up work? I have no idea. None. But is it such an outlandish idea as to be dismissed outright? I don't think so.

The broader question is who has more value to the Reds, Martin or Phillips? My bias toward wanting a competent backstop for this team, along with it being easier to try and backfill Phillips' numbers at 2b as against how hard it is to find a quality C, makes this sort of framework for a potential hypothetical deal interesting.

IF Martin were to be available, I hope the Reds are aggressive in making inquiries. And I would have no qualms about Phillips being made available as part of those inquiries.

ETA: Just saw Chip's (oops, WOY's) post...if Martin meant having to take Jones or Pierre, that makes it less interesting.
    Last edited by membengal; 10-20-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Turn Off Ads?