Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Russell Martin could be available??

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Russell Martin could be available??

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    ETA: Just saw Chip's post...if Martin meant having to take Jones or Pierre, that makes it less interesting.
    Especially with Dusty at the helm...those two would be playing every day and batting 1st and 3rd depending on who's in centerfield that day.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

"Ryan Hanigan proved very capable of catching in the Major Leagues on an everyday basis," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "If he was our starting catcher next season, I don't think we'd hesitate nor have a problem with that. If there is a frontline catcher out there and available, we'd take a look."
    I think Walt should look into this.

If the Reds can get Russell Martin for Brandon Phillips straight up, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Catcher is the toughest of the eight field positions to fill IMO. Keppinger, Freel, perhaps one of the young kids are not going to replace BP defensively but I'll take my chances.

Offensively, I've been a big backer of Phillips and I've felt that '07 was about where he would peak anytime tha he had a solid year. To me, he regressed a bit in '08 as he flailed constantly at pitches that were either out of the strike zone or were out of his 'hitting zone'.

Phillips for Martin would be, overall, a decent upgrade in overall defense IMO. Not a huge leap but it would make the Reds stronger overall.

Do this deal and then see if you can get Kahlil Greene from the Pads for some prospects.

Rem

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Who would get the better/worse end of this deal? I'm really not sure.

Dodgers receive:
    Brandon Phillips
    Bronson Arroyo

Reds receive:
    Juan Pierre
    Russell Martin
    cash?

Salary-wise, everything would pretty much balance out, even if you include what Martin would likely receive in arbitration. A big difference, though, is that Arroyo has a buyout in 2011 and Pierre doesn't.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

What else can we get from the Dodgers?

Martin's a great start, but I'm feelin' greedy.

I'd wanna know what it would take to get Matt Kemp, as well.

Probably more than we can feasibly afford, but I hope Walt's askin'....

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post

Dodgers receive:
    Brandon Phillips
    Bronson Arroyo

Reds receive:
    Juan Pierre
    Russell Martin
    cash?

Salary-wise, everything would pretty much balance out, even if you include what Martin would likely receive in arbitration. A big difference, though, is that Arroyo has a buyout in 2011 and Pierre doesn't.
    I guess that would mean Juan Pierre becomes our everyday CF, and Dickerson becomes a waste of defensive talent in LF.

You know what the next step is in the equation.... batting leadoff for your Cincinnati Reds, Juaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Pierre!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post

Dodgers receive:
    Brandon Phillips
    Bronson Arroyo

Reds receive:
    Juan Pierre
    Russell Martin
    cash?

I think the Reds get the worst of that deal.

I think the primary motivation for moving Martin will be to also dump some salary as suggested earlier and it looks to be either Pierre or Jones.

Either is a tough pill to swallow but it should dramatically lesson the talent going back to LA. I'd consider buying Martin for $15M (Jones' '09 salary) depending upon the body i have to send the other way.

The alternative is to pay quite a bit in talent.

I think Martin is under control for another 4 years but he'll start getting expensive the final two.

Do the Reds trust that they have the resources to make him redundant during that tenure?

Really on the surface it's a no brainer but I think this one falls into the grey area that makes it a potentially fascinating debate.

Martin/Hannigan is a compelling combo. It's Bob C's money. I'd pull the trigger.

Reds get: Martin/Jones/Hu

Dodgers get: ????????
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

I think the primary motivation for moving Martin will be to also dump some salary as suggested earlier and it looks to be either Pierre or Jones.

Either is a tough pill to swallow but it should dramatically lesson the talent going back to LA. I'd consider buying Martin for $15M (Jones' '09 salary) depending upon the body i have to send the other way.

I think Martin is under control for another 4 years but he'll start getting expensive the final two.

Do the Reds trust that they have the resources to make him redundant during that tenure?

Really on the surface it's a no brainer but I think this one falls into the grey area that makes it a potentially fascinating debate.

Martin/Hannigan is a compelling combo. It's Bob C's money. I'd pull the trigger.

Intriguing post. Is one year of paying the full tab for Andruw Jones' rotting career too much to pay for potentially solving our catcher and shortstop black holes for multiple years at below-market salaries? It's creative and it just might work. Might not, too, and I wouldn't even think of doing it with Pierre since he's a multi-year commitment.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    per mlbtraderumors:
    "This one surprised me, but Sherman throws a new name as a possibility on the trade market: Russell Martin. Sherman cites rival executives in saying that the Dodgers aren't "enamored with his makeup" and that with front line catchers being hot commodities, the Dodgers could explore the market to see what Martin could bring in return. Personally, I think moving Martin would be a mistake, but I have to admit, Martin would indeed fetch a very nice return."

What about him as a catcher for the reds?
    Now that sir I deal Homer Bailey and I am no advocate of Dealing Homer.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Sign me up. I think getting him with Phillips as the primary centerpiece would be highway robbery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

Exactly the deal that I was thinking reading through this thread. For BP and what is the question? It'd be nice if they took Gonzo or Freel back but that would sorta defeat the purpose of them getting rid of Jones in the 1st place. But they may actually consider taking Freel as a guy who could cover some ground in LA and give them some versatility off the bench unlike Jones & Pierre and 4 million isn't outrageous for them. I think getting Hu back would also depend largely on whether or not they can re-sign Furcal.

Bottom line though I just don't see them parting with Martin despite the rumors. It just doesn't make any sense to trade such a significant player at such a premium position. Perhaps it's simply a ploy to motivate people in the trade market to call so we can then show these fine old OF's we have to deal. Just doesn't add up that they suddenly don't care for his makeup when that was supposed to be one of his greatest strengths IIRC.

If they cannot re-sign Furcal how about Jones & Hu for Gonzo and Freel? They save 5 million in salary for '09 which could go towards them re-signing Manny or Lowe. Heck I might even split the difference of Freel and Gonzo's contract with them so they can save 10 million. All to get a young defensive wiz at SS? I'm all for that even.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 10-21-2008 at 01:39 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Sign me up. I think getting him with Phillips as the primary centerpiece would be highway robbery.
    Who are you?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Who are you?
    I'm posting straight from San Quentin.

I finally amassed enough 'good behavior' to earn some computer time.

And where do I choose to spend it? RedsZone, of course.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I'm posting straight from San Quentin.

I finally amassed enough 'good behavior' to earn some computer time.

And where do I choose to spend it? RedsZone, of course.
    I must say, I'm happier to see your avatar than you.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I must say, I'm happier to see your avatar than you.
    I'm the Ashley Judd of 'the yard,' I'm afraid.

Turn Off Ads?