Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keith Rivers welcome to the NFL, son.

Keith Rivers welcome to the NFL, son.

Out for the season

Will Wines Hard be fined?

[youtube]mXxc9OxIJyc[/youtube]

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keith Rivers welcome to the NFL, son.

Hines Ward IMO is known for being a cheap shot artist. I wonder when someone will take it upon themselves in the NFL to have a little payback? Of course I loathe the Steelers anyways, much more than any other NFL team.

He led with his helmet. He should be fined. One more reason to dislike the fake smiler. My guess is he had that big grin on his face after that hit as well.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

If Bernard Pollard can take out Tom Brady, im sure somebody will put Ward in his place.

What will tick me off is if Cedric Benson is fined and Hines Ward isn't. Benson plowed right into Polamalu and knocked him out for about a month with a concussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

From ESPN:

CINCINNATI -- Bengals first-round pick Keith Rivers suffered a broken jaw in the first quarter of Sunday's 38-10 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers and will miss the remainder of the 2008 season, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said.

The hit came from Steelers receiver Hines Ward, who was blocking for teammate Matt Spaeth during a reception and caught an unsuspecting Rivers with a crushing blow that knocked him out of the game.

"I'm not going to wait around until you hit me," Ward said. "It was a clean hit. I didn't get penalized for it."

Rivers was the Bengals' second-leading tackler for the season, starting every game. Linebacker Brandon Johnson will get more playing time with Rivers out. Johnson finished tied for the team lead with seven tackles on Sunday.

Johnson saw a double standard at work.

"No flag came out because it wasn't a quarterback," Johnson said. "If he was a quarterback, then they definitely would have thrown the flag. If it was a receiver, they definitely would have thrown the flag. It's just something that comes with playing defense. If you play defense, then you're pretty much expendable, I guess.

"It's part of the game. It was a good block. If I was in Hines Ward's shoes, I probably would have taken the same shot. You can't really blame him."

The play was ruled a clean hit as no flags were thrown. But Ward's hit did upset some of Rivers' teammates after the game.

"That's what he's known for," Bengals safety Chinedum Ndukwe said. "You expect that coming in. People are going to take their shots when they can. Too bad he can't hit someone face up. It's too bad he has to wait until he's not looking to get him. It's unfortunate. It's the type of guy he is. That's all right. We play them again. He's a blind-side guy."

Rivers, the No. 9 overall pick, finished his rookie campaign with 37 tackles and an interception.

Ward was fined $15,000 last week on two separate infractions by the league that caused controversy during Pittsburgh's bye week. Ward was not flagged for either of the plays in question, which upset the Steelers' brass, including head coach Mike Tomlin and Ward's teammate Troy Polamalu.

Another fine from the league could be upcoming for Ward after Sunday's hit on Rivers.

"I'm not doing anything illegal; it was a clean hit,'' Ward said. "I didn't stand over the guy or anything. ... We'll see. I'm not going to change my ways. If they're going to keep fining me for that, then I'm going to get fined all year.''

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I have no problem with hitting someone hard, geesh this is football.

But do it with your head up or lead with another part of your body than your helmet. It's still probably a clean hit.

Bad hit or not, Hines Ward is a horse's rump.

I think Hair is more likely to get fined than Wines Hard will.

[youtube]GTSuzFs57ds[/youtube]

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I think what is funny is that Troy has been griping about hard hits and how the NFL is cracking down on them, yet he doesn't seem to get it that he shouldn't freaking lead with his helmet.

Hitting hard doesn't have to mean hitting dirty.

Troy P should be fined for how he tried to hit Benson in my mind. He led with his helmet. Serves him right that he was knocked out. Benson was just protecting himself.

Ward should be fined for that as well. Rivers was basically defenseless, and Ward led with his helmet.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I despise Hines Ward.

But it was a clean hit. Maybe a little helmet action, but nothing vicious. He also threw his shoulder pad in there some I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Troy P's hit, now that was terrible. Helmet to helmet, nothing else.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

There isn't a single thing wrong with that Hines Ward block. Polamalu got what he deserved, however. That's a good way to end up in a wheel chair.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Helmet under the chin, I expect he will be looking at a fine. Not supposed to be allowed to lead with the helmet,, e,speci,ally under the chin.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Helmet under the chin, I expect he will be looking at a fine. Not supposed to be allowed to lead with the helmet,, e,speci,ally under the chin.
    And that is a legit point. But its hard for me to scrutinize...I mean, the game is so fast. And just watching that play in real time I can't fault Ward, I just can't.

I would suspend Polamalu. And that said I supported his pansy remark, but his hit was over the line.

Real simple. Next time the two teams play, sometime knocks Ward into next year. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Real simple. Next time the two teams play, sometime knocks Ward into next year. Problem solved.
    i'm amazed ward made it through the game without getting laid out by someone

but this is the bengals we're talking about

Turn Off Ads?