Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stock Market - Oct 2008

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Stock Market - Oct 2008

I have weathered the drop pretty well so far, had about 40% of my 401K in cash before "the fall", had sold all my China holdings, and had purchased some BRK-B shares which have weathered quite well.

While I don't think we have hit bottom yet (more mortgage woes to come), there are some attractive places to put my money and ride from here. I took pretty decent stakes in NUE, DOW, and EBS.

I still hold a sizable chunk of BWLD (BW3's) which I think is a sensational stock now and heading forward.

EBS generates Anthrax vaccines and had contracted with Homeland security quite nicely. They have additional capacity coming online in 2009/2010 timeframe which I think will be greatly beneficial to them. I started tracking them at 8, bought in at 10.00 and 11.50 and am thinking about taking 1/3 back out today as they are closing in on 17.00 (I think they'll come oscillate a bit given the market) . -- I know we have a few researchers here (princeton - cancer? and one other?) and would welcome any comments they (or others) might have on EBS.

I am interested in looking at China again as they have gotten waxed.

I am hoping to buy 1 or 2 more stalwarts that are trading at or below book value and paying a nice dividend ... ones that I can feel comfortable to ride out the current malaise, have nice profit potential overseas, and will more than likely not cut their dividend in the process.

Hope all is well with you and your portfolios.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stock Market - Oct 2008

WAG (Walgreen's) is pretty cheap right now. They've taken a beating since Wal-Mart came out with $4 generics (which pretty much every other pharmacy has since matched, including Walgreens), and now with the recent downturn. If you're looking long-term I think it will be solid. The company has no long-term debt and continually increases same store sales by 7-9% even with the recent slowdown. Throw in the aging population and I think it's a good long-term play.

Checked out WAG and about a dozen other stocks and couldn't find anything that I wanted to pull the trigger on just yet. There are some decent buys but I want to keep some powder dry right now. EBS still rolling up.

GL

You should check out motleyfool.com they focus on long term gain and use different statistics to determine the true value of a stock

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    You should check out motleyfool.com they focus on long term gain and use different statistics to determine the true value of a stock
    Been visiting the Fool since '98 or so. It's one of the few site I spend more time at than this one.

GL

Haha nice. I have been tracking their stocks for a while now. I think I have a good base for investment planned out for the future but I dont graduate from college for a while and as the market showed us last week a lot can change in a little time.

I know this isn't the type of company you're looking for right now, but I've been watching the developments of Microvision (MVIS) for a little while now. They're developing a small projector to put in cell phones, laptops, etc. that will project an image or movie from the cell phone onto basically any surface. Pretty cool product if they can get it into production. Right now they have a deal with Motorola to develop it.

I haven't bought anything yet, but I may throw some money at it, it's more of a gamble than an investment though. If it catches on and hits the market it could get interesting since gadget people are always looking for the next cool thing with their cell phones.

I have heard about that projection thing too and it sounds way too risky. They have not got any of the prototypes to work exactly the way they want to and they really have not done a whole lot of market research to find out if consumers are interested, but this is an extremely high ceiling investment and could turn out great profits. But thats the market, higher the risk, higher the reward

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    I have heard about that projection thing too and it sounds way too risky. They have not got any of the prototypes to work exactly the way they want to and they really have not done a whole lot of market research to find out if consumers are interested, but this is an extremely high ceiling investment and could turn out great profits. But thats the market, higher the risk, higher the reward
    It's definitely high risk, which is why I would not throw any more than you are willing to lose at it. Companies like this tend get excite me a little too though.

I'm long-term bearish. Baby-boomers have been throwing money into the market through their prime earning years and will soon be drawing down in retirement.

Right now, the market goes down on bad news and up on no news (which is the new good news). Yikes.

Money can be made in equities, but I'll be doing my homework: http://www.amazon.com/Security-Analy...5228830&sr=8-4

Turn Off Ads?