Turn Off Ads?

Thread: When "Get off my lawn" goes bad

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When "Get off my lawn" goes bad

Sounds like the neighborhood kids need to improve their accuracy.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I half expected the town to be Madeira when I read the story.

Blue Ash isn't a shock, however.

I had a neighbor, back in the day, who kept a basketball that went into their yard and they cut it in half and put it on post. Sad story but very true.
    because at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up--Marty B.

I have a neighbor, whose daughter, is pretty much exactly like this woman. On occasion, my ten year old son will accidentally launch a few tennis/whiffle balls into her mom's yard.

He always hops the fence in an effort to retrieve them--but sometimes he will lose count and forget to check her shrubs...

Basically, I learned that the daughter had been collecting the balls in a basket in her mom's garage...and giving them to her son to use.

Let's just say that we had a not-so-nice conversation that ended with her dumping a basket full of balls over the fence at my feet.

I lived in Mariemont and this old guy would not give us our frisbee that sailed in his yard from the street. If you've ever been to Mariemont then you know a cop was bound to drive by in 5 minutes, when he did we flagged him down and he made the guy give us our frisbee back, he also made us go throw it elsewhere.

I think every neighborhood had these people.

Growing up we had an elderly lady living across the street who kept her yard immaculate. We'd play kick ball, football, and various games in the street. If it went into her yard you'd better be quick. I never saw an old lady move so fast. She'd come flying out that door and grab the ball. She had a box in her garage where she kept them all. Had a nice collection over the years.

We always got her back come Halloween though.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Sounds like they finally found one of Derek Anderson's passes from the Redskins game this weekend.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Our next-door neighbor is the yard where all the neighborhood kids play ball games of all sorts. We don't mind it when balls fly into our yard and are glad the kids are playing.

I have been cleaning out the flower beds the last couple weeks and found 4-5 assorted balls stuck down deep in the foliage. Just chucked them back over the fence.

A couple of them the kids were glad to see. They play this one baseball-ish game with a tennis racquet and rubber ball. Any ball off the house, trees, etc is still in play and is an out if caught before it hits the ground. I saw one play where the ball hit off the back of the house and landed on the patio table. Someone just walked over and picked it up. Out! A couple kids can hit it over the house so they'll put a fielder out there and holler to them if the ball is coming over. The balls I found have enough mass to carry, but don't dent the house siding too bad.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Sounds like the neighborhood kids need to improve their accuracy.
    Bengals in training

When I was about 10 our basketball rolled into the guy's yard across the alley. He refused to let us have it. My dad paid him a visit, and after that we pretty muh had free reign in the guy's yard to retrieve balls. Knowing my dad, he was fully willing to deck the guy, but I never did find out what happened.

Another guy in the neighborhood always yelled if you stepped in his yard. He was old- maybe 85 way back around the early 1970's. His wife died, and all of a sudden he was our friend. He even tried to play catch with us, but he was fairly feeble physically. Not long before he died, he told us when he was young he had been a pro baseball player in his youth. I always wished I had known this earlier. He might have had some nice stories.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    When I was about 10 our basketball rolled into the guy's yard across the alley. He refused to let us have it. My dad paid him a visit, and after that we pretty muh had free reign in the guy's yard to retrieve balls. Knowing my dad, he was fully willing to deck the guy, but I never did find out what happened.

Another guy in the neighborhood always yelled if you stepped in his yard. He was old- maybe 85 way back around the early 1970's. His wife died, and all of a sudden he was our friend. He even tried to play catch with us, but he was fairly feeble physically. Not long before he died, he told us when he was young he had been a pro baseball player in his youth. I always wished I had known this earlier. He might have had some nice stories.
    I had the exact same experience in Deer Park back in the 60's. Our next door neighbors were an older woman and her son. She was constantly raising cane if we stepped a foot in her yard and I can clearly remember her son telling us to get off a tree branch that was over his yard. We said the true was in our yard, but we were violating his air space. (I can still remember the guy with his AuH2O sticker on the bumper of his VW - some of you will know what that means!). We were sure she was a witch.

Anyway after the son met a lady, married her and moved out of her house, she was tranformed into the sweetest lady on earth. She liked my younger brother so much, she wanted to write him into her will. Mom & Dad talked her out of it!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?