Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You stay classy Philly fans.

You stay classy Philly fans.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseb...cle873330.ece#

Phils' fans live down to their reputation with Rays families

By John Romano, Times Sports Columnist

Published Sunday, October 26, 2008 11:16 PM
    PHILADELPHIA — It is a proud city. A city rich in history and steeped in tradition. In some ways, a city like no other in America. And today, perhaps the city of Philadelphia should be embarrassed.

During Game 3 of the World Series on Saturday night, Rays family members and employees say they were harassed and abused by Phillies fans at Citizens Bank Park to an unacceptable degree.

Children were cursed at, and one 9-year-old boy had beer poured on him. A Rays family member stayed locked in a bathroom stall because, he said, Phillies fans were banging on the walls and threatening him.

Team officials were reluctant to talk about the situation for fear of stirring up more hostility, but they acknowledged they had extensive discussions with Major League Baseball and Phillies officials before Game 4 on Sunday.

"It's like anything else. We learn from our mistakes and other people's mistakes, and we fix them," Rays owner Stuart Sternberg said. "If it happens again, then it's a bigger problem."

Look, this is not a question of Rays fans being sissies. This is not about being offended by "Rays s- - -" chants. We're talking about behavior more suitable for a prison yard than a family ballpark.

You can make fun of Tropicana Field, and you can make fun of Tampa Bay's limited fan base. You can dog B.J. Upton about hustling, and you can call Matt Garza a whack job.

But some words should not be used, and some lines should not be crossed. And from talking to the Rays on Sunday, the Phillies fans trampled all over every acceptable line of decency.

"I'm not going to be critical of the efforts we took (Saturday) night. If somebody else chooses to be, then so be it," said Phillies senior vice president Michael Stiles. "In my experience, it is very difficult to prevent words coming out of people's mouths. And sometimes the words that come out are offensive. If they are profane, if they are threatening, if physical assaults occur, we will identify those people and eject them or arrest them.

"There are some things you can't control. If an entire section of fans start chanting the a-hole word, there's not much you can do. We think we have responded to the complaints in the appropriate way."

Oh, so violators are ejected or arrested. And how many ejections were there in Game 3?

Stiles said he did not have exact figures but had been told by MLB officials that there were 12 ejections/arrests Saturday night.

Twelve? TWELVE!

In a crowd of 45,900? In a town known for having the country's most brutal fans? In a game that did not begin until after 10 p.m., giving fans more booze time? Chuck E. Cheese's has more ejections on a Saturday.

This is where I have a problem with the Phillies and the city. I understand that 200 or so knuckleheads no more represent this great city than the worst 200 knuckleheads represent Tampa Bay.

Yet the team, the police, the mayor's office and the citizens allow their reputation to be lowered down to the level of knuckle-dragging Neanderthals because they condone this behavior year after year after year. Condone may not even be the right word. They revel in it.

This isn't just rude or profane; it is intimidating and threatening. It is women being called *****s and worse. It is children having food thrown at them. It is being pushed, shoved and jostled in the concourses.

Does this sort of thing happen at other stadiums? Without a doubt. And I'm sure it has happened on occasion at Tropicana Field, too. But no city has the reputation of Philadelphia. And the Rays have never complained about another stadium in this way.

An MLB official acknowledged the league shared responsibility for the lack of security at the stadium for Game 3 and said measures had been taken to assure fan safety Sunday night.

Unfortunately, the damage had been done. Sternberg declined to have Rays players introduced in the stadium before Game 4, at least partially because of the previous night's crowd. Some of the traveling party also declined to attend the game.

"Down by the dugout I had a good time with a bunch of guys sitting in the stands," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "I was actually giving a guy a hard time for drinking Coors Light in Philadelphia. I said, 'Where's the Schmidt's? At least some Rolling Rock. Don't be going with Coors Light.' It's so unfashionable for a Philly dude. I was all over him about that, so we had a good time.

"Really, the biggest part is the families, if we could do something about that. Throwing mustard packs at my granddaughter is not very cool. The other part, I'm good with."

There's nothing wrong with passion. Nothing wrong with poking fun and having a good time. Nothing wrong with showing Eva Longoria's picture when Evan Longoria is batting.

But something is very wrong about threatening families and children.

And something is wrong with a city that allows it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You stay classy Philly fans.

Some fans should lose the right to drink in public. Citizens bank park looks like a great test case.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Not surprised. I know of a couple of RedsZoners who caught a few games in Philly over the last couple of seasons when the Reds were playing there and they said the same ting happened to them.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

As a parent, I'm trying to reconcile this:

"Children were cursed at, and one 9-year-old boy had beer poured on him."

with

"In a game that did not begin until after 10 p.m.,"

As if the regularly scheduled 9pm start wasn't bad enough, IMO, I can't even comprehend that a WS game would start after 10pm.

never had any problems in many trips

never wear colors, though. I've always acted as the dinner guest who knows that if he doesn't agree with the politics of the house, he'll be wearing dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post

never wear colors, though. I've always acted as the dinner guest who knows that if he doesn't agree with the politics of the house, he'll be wearing dessert.
    Yeah, colors are the magnet for the insane and the inane. I've spent most of my life watching sports from the enemies home, so I play my allegiance down.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post

Back in 1990 I went to Philly to watch the Reds for a three game series. I wore my Reds hat and never had a problem. The Phillies though were going pretty badly at the time and the fans didn't care. Perhaps I was just lucky too.
    Also I have never understood why people want to go to a public place,like a stadium, and get soused. Stay at home and make afool of yourself there.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Back in 1990 I went to Philly to watch the Reds for a three game series. I wore my Reds hat and never had a problem. The Phillies though were going pretty badly at the time and the fans didn't care. Perhaps I was just lucky too.
    Also I have never understood why people want to go to a public place,like a stadium, and get soused. Stay at home and make afool of yourself there.
    you can probably wear most colors on most days. li'l princeton even cheered loudly for Yankees during an interleague game, without incident, but they're not a direct rival

I'd not wear Mets gear unless seeking attention.

On the brink of disaster

I don't think there is any way for family members of members of an opposing team to downplay their allegience. Any of the season ticket holders there would notice where guests of the other team sit. They aren't going to have the Manager's family in the cheap seats. Some people are going to prey on them just to be jerks. I'm just saying that I get what you guys are saying about not wearing team colors, but this is a little different than you or I going to a game. Secondly this is a world series, so if you are a fan of the opposing team and score tickets, you have to show your pride.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The Rays have it easy compared to Santa Claus @ Eagles games....

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Not surprised. I know of a couple of RedsZoners who caught a few games in Philly over the last couple of seasons when the Reds were playing there and they said the same thing happened to them.

The way to deal with Phillies fans in Citizens Bank is either strength in numbers or plain clothes. They'll harass individuals and small groups, but they'll generally stay away from large groups. By large groups, I'm talking a half dozen guys banded together. When we went as a large group we found that when we all stayed together, people left us alone. If we split up into two or three, we took quite a bit of crap. Fans sitting in the section will also tend to leave a large group of guys alone as well, but they'll harass the crap out of a smaller group.

If you're out with a family, or just two or three guys, you're just better off wearing plain clothes.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Also FWIW, the ballpark "security" in Citizens Bank is worthless.

As a fan of an opposing team in that park, you'll quickly learn that you have to watch your own back, because you and the people you are with are on your own there.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

As a fan of an opposing team in that park, you'll quickly learn that you have to watch your own back, because you and the people you are with are on your own there.
    Or else you might end up losing the Reds hat off your head!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

I saw a Philadelphia cop beat the crap out of a guy at a dead show 25 years ago, brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I saw a Philadelphia cop beat the crap out of a guy at a dead show 25 years ago, brutal.
    Sure, the Philly cops are great.

They don't take crap from anyone.

However, the rent-a-cops @ Citizens Bank Bandbox are the ebony to the Philly cops ivory.

Eventually, it wouldn't surprise me if the Phillies start employing both on-duty and off-duty Philly cops like the Eagles do at the Linc (as they previously did at the Vet).

Turn Off Ads?