Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you do Votto for Ellsbury?

Would you do Votto for Ellsbury?

Let's pretend Mike Lowell's health rules him out of the Red Sox's future plans, and the Sox intend to go with Kevin Youkilis at third base. Would you approve a trade of Joey Votto for Jacoby Ellsbury? I assume most would rather have Ellsbury, but I'm not sure. I'd be interested to hear some opinions.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you do Votto for Ellsbury?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Let's pretend Mike Lowell's health rules him out of the Red Sox's future plans, and the Sox intend to go with Kevin Youkilis at third base. Would you approve a trade of Joey Votto for Jacoby Ellsbury? I assume most would rather have Ellsbury, but I'm not sure. I'd be interested to hear some opinions.
    I'd keep Votto. But thats after watching a whole season of Votto. I remember watching Votto take AB's back in May and thinking, this guy looks like he's been in the bigs for 5 years. He performed beyond my expectations this year for sure. I haven't watching but a few of Ellsbury AB's over the past year, so I'm alittle uninformed, I admit.

But looking and Ellsburys stat lines and general knowledge I have of him, I'm keeping Joey.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'd keep Votto. But thats after watching a whole season of Votto. I remember watching Votto take AB's back in May and thinking, this guy looks like he's been in the bigs for 5 years. He performed beyond my expectations this year for sure. I haven't watching but a few of Ellsbury AB's over the past year, so I'm alittle uninformed, I admit.

But looking and Ellsburys stat lines and general knowledge I have of him, I'm keeping Joey.
    I like Votto very much, but Ellsbury would add speed, defense in center, and a lead off type hitter. For me, Votto is good but represents more of the same process that has been so unsuccessful for so long in Cincy. He is a good left handed bat, capable of some power, but is limited defensively.

Bob Howsam was building the Big Red Machine in a different era, but it might be time to get ahead of the curve as he did. I'd love to see the Reds improve their speed and defense. I'd love to see Encarnacion at first and a Jacoby Ellsbury type in center and batting lead off.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

No way. Maybe Ellsbury and Lowrie. I'm a big Votto supporter but with Alonso and Frazier on the way, a deal that fills the SS hole and something else as well has to be considered.

I'd rather deal EdE for Lowrie straight up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

In 1 word, no.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    In 1 word, no.
    +1

V 4 Votto
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

No way. I think Votto established himself as an untouchable over the second half of the season. I look to Votto, Alonso, and Bruce as the long term future. They are in another category altogether, IMO, from EE and BP.

No. I think Ellsbury is a product of the Boston Hype Machine.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Ellsbury is a new Melky Cabrera. No thank you.

If he played for Kansas City you wouldn't even know about him.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Absolutely not. Ellsbury has little to no power and his OBP was only .336 this season despite a solid .280 BA. Votto is a much better player IMO.

Ellsbury had a considerable dropoff this season after 100 ABs in 2007. We have a similar player in Chris Dickerson; I hope the same thing doesn't happen to him. No, I would not trade Votto for him.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    No way. I think Votto established himself as an untouchable over the second half of the season. I look to Votto, Alonso, and Bruce as the long term future. They are in another category altogether, IMO, from EE and BP.
    I totally agree with your 1st sentence but not so much based on his play although I think his play reflected his approach to the game. The kid will be our backbone and you don't trade that away unless of course he doesn't continue to back it up with production. He's our Pedroia or Jeter IMO.

OTOH I sorta disagree with everyone dropping a duece on BP and I suspect he will show up big this next season. I would trade nearly anyone, BP included for the proper piece(s) of the puzzle but to act as if he is somehow less of a player is selling him very short. All the while giving an awful lot of credit to a player (Alonso) who is more likely to eventually leave us for gr$$n$r pastures IMO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

No way. I'm not enamored with Ellsbury (agree with Mth on the Boston hype angle) and I think Votto will continue his development as a great hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Ellsbury had a considerable dropoff this season after 100 ABs in 2007. We have a similar player in Chris Dickerson; I hope the same thing doesn't happen to him. No, I would not trade Votto for him.

Agreed, Good call.

Turn Off Ads?